alexinwa

Do Airlines Perform Flight Tests?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Today Icelandair begins service to SEA.

So I'm wondering did they do a test flight before service began or just base it off of computers and the knowledge of the 757 that the flight will work?

Makes me wonder about all long-haul flights?
You mad Bro???

contrails15

RE: Do Airlines Perform Flight Tests?

Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:38 pm

Just a guess here but they'll have to fly over some supplies and people to get the station set-up so perhaps they'll use there own a/c. Thats what my airline does so in doing so the route is "tested" before rev service begins.
Giants football!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FredT

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 am

If it was required to test fly every new route beforehand, air taxi/executive charter operators would be in trouble methinks.  Smile
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

HAWK21M

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:49 am

If it cannot be computed through Experience & calculations,A Practical test is carried out,But then it depends on the Airlines SOP in place.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

dxing

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Quoting Contrails15 (Reply 1):
If it was required to test fly every new route beforehand, air taxi/executive charter operators would be in trouble methinks.

Different rules. Maybe not a flight test but at a minimum they will have to have the airport (and any alternate airports) listed in their ops specs and have shown they have the software in the box and charts in the bag to conduct the flight under FAA rules. A flight test would be the easiest way to accomplish that.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

tdscanuck

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 4):
Maybe not a flight test but at a minimum they will have to have the airport (and any alternate airports) listed in their ops specs and have shown they have the software in the box and charts in the bag to conduct the flight under FAA rules. A flight test would be the easiest way to accomplish that.

Wouldn't an inspection of the charts and a sim ride be a lot easier way to do that?

Tom.

FredT

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Besides, what would a flight test prove? That with the loading of the day and the weather of the day, all is fine and dandy...
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:39 pm

Quoting Alexinwa (Thread starter):
Today Icelandair begins service to SEA.

So I'm wondering did they do a test flight before service began or just base it off of computers and the knowledge of the 757 that the flight will work?

Makes me wonder about all long-haul flights?

What you have described in not a "test" flight but a "route proving" flight, and yes there are times that an operator may choose make a "route proving" flight prior to scheduled service, but they are not required.

Goldenshield

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 7):
What you have described in not a "test" flight but a "route proving" flight, and yes there are times that an operator may choose make a "route proving" flight prior to scheduled service, but they are not required.

Exactly. Often times, with airports that require special certification, an airline will spend a few months preparing for the certification process, and then up to a month, or so, of the actual proving and certification. This can involve flights, both real and simulated.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

dxing

Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:13 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 5):
Wouldn't an inspection of the charts and a sim ride be a lot easier way to do that?

Don't think a sim would count. CO has been flying to Hawaii for years with wide bodies and 757's, but in order to use 737's on the route they are going to have to fly there and back to satisfy the FAA.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Brandi747

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Check flights or cert flights are conducted to make sure the aircraft is airworthy. I schedule airspace for Boeing for flights like this and test flights for radar and what not.
Come fly with me.

Moose135

Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Quoting DXing (Reply 9):
Don't think a sim would count. CO has been flying to Hawaii for years with wide bodies and 757's, but in order to use 737's on the route they are going to have to fly there and back to satisfy the FAA.

Is that because of some ETOPS requirement? I can see why the FAA would want an airline to show they can perform something like that in real life, but I don't see where it would make a difference for individual flight crews when it comes to things like shooting the approach at the end of a long drone over the Pacific.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!