devildog2222

Can Cabin Pressure Change Chocolates?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:44 am

My dad just came home from SLC on a SFO bound flight and with him was Rocky Mountain Chocolates. By surprise the Milk Chocolate peanut butter cups changed to white chocolate.

Can the color of chocolates change because of the change in pressure? The odd thing is that only the peanut butter cups changed color all the other chocolates stayed the same.

Phoenix9

RE: Can Cabin Pressure Change Chocolates?

Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 am

Quoting Devildog2222 (Thread starter):

Actually it is a pretty serious problem that chocolate industry is facing. The dark cocoa when combined with peanut butter has been shown to change colour based on atmospheric pressure and humidty values. Some speculate that the industry is loosing millions of dollars per year because of this problem - considering that chocolates need to be transported througout the world. Consumers end up thinking either the chocolate has gone bad or they have been sold counterfeit product, hence declining sales of such products.

Cadbury and Nestle are working on a pressure/moisture resistant packaging in collaboration with NASA. Such a technology would also benefit astronauts on long trip e.g. to Mars.

[Edited 2009-08-06 18:01:56]
Life only makes sense when you look at it backwards.

devildog2222

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks for the reply and info. This is the first time I've ever herd of this kind of problem with the chocolates.

[Edited 2009-08-06 18:56:26]

IHadAPheo

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:59 am

Serious reply... are you sure it was milk chocolate to begin with (wrapper etc) and was there still peanut butter in the white chocolate (white chocolate peanut butter?)

In addition did the chocolate partially melt in flight (in a pocket etc)

A cursory web search did not show any link to pressure and milk chocolate to white chocolate conversion however I do recall something about melted chocolate having as different slightly different appearance when it solidifies

Quoting Phoenix9 (Reply 1):
Cadbury and Nestle are working on a pressure/moisture resistant packaging in collaboration with NASA

I remember the way cool tubes they had for the food back in the Apollo days. Just like toothpaste roll out the food hmmm....

Oh well I hope someone has a definitive answer for your mystery

IHAP
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

devildog2222

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:10 am

Well from what I know it was Milk chocolate peanut butter cups, don't know if there was any peanut butter in the chocolate, and it was in one of there small boxes, so it didn't melt it did kind of get soft.

nomadd22

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 am

With peanut butter cups, water gasses out of the peanut butter and gets absorbed by the chocolate, tuning it white.
Cheap chocolate can also have problems foaming a little when pressure drops.
Anon

Pellegrine

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:55 am

Interesting thread because I'm a total chocoholic, i tend to love dark, dark chocolate like 80-90% cacao.
oh boy, here we go!!!