DrEsteban
Topic Author

Cessna C208 Amphibian Operating Costs

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi all,

I have a number of questions on the cost involved operating the Cessna C208 Amphibian;

1) What would be the cost of leasing a new/used C208 in the US or Canada, and what would be included in this price?

2) Which type of insurances are needed for commercial operation (Part 121 vs Part 135) and what would be the approx cost?

3) The Cessna website states an hourly operating cost for the C208 ($358/hour), what is included in this number? Is this number realistic?

4) In addition to variable maintenance costs, what would be a realistic number for fixed maintenance costs? And, what is the effect of fresh water vs salt water on maintenance costs?

Any other useful info regarding operating the C208 is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Brgds,
Doc

KELPkid

RE: Cessna C208 Amphibian Operating Costs

Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:48 pm

Quoting DrEsteban (Thread starter):
3) The Cessna website states an hourly operating cost for the C208 ($358/hour), what is included in this number? Is this number realistic?

In my experience, manufacturer's operating cost numbers tend to be a bit overly optomistic...after all, they are trying to sell you something  twocents 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

lowrider

RE: Cessna C208 Amphibian Operating Costs

Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:21 pm

Quoting DrEsteban (Thread starter):
2) Which type of insurances are needed for commercial operation (Part 121 vs Part 135) and what would be the approx cost?

The Caravan is not suitable for a 121 operation. As for Part 135, you will have to have, at a minimum, liability insurance. If you lease the bank will probably not allow you to self insure the hull. Cost is going to vary widely depending on where and what sort of operation you are engaged in, how many seats you have installed, and who is flying the plane. I am assuming you are planning to fly the aircraft at least part of the time. Do you have any formal training on it? If not the insurance company may require you to attend a course.
Proud OOTSK member