overall if i decided to go

i would go to be a pilot in ERAU ...

thanks in adv

Fly2HMO

Pilot Vs. Aircraft Mechanic

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:16 pm

Quoting 747Fleet (Thread starter):

I'm an ERAU graduate and had a great experience there. Granted, the job market for pilots right now is non-existent.

What kind of pilot do you want to be? Do you want to make a living out of it or just fly for fun?

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm

honestly both

and the job availability for pilots depends on what ?

727forever

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Do your homework and research it out thoroughly. The job market is non-existant right now and will remain so for the next 2-3 years in my estimation. I'm not sure what it looks like in Saudia Arabia, but the rest of the planet for the most part has dried up when it comes to pilot jobs. I think this will ease in the coming years as there will be many pilots retiring, however it is still a very tough profession to get into and honestly most that start off never make it to a major airline. Also, when choosing schools shop around. ERAU is a very good school, but it is very expensive and unless you come from a lot of money, you'll be paying those loans whether you have a job or not. Something to keep in mind.

727forever
727forever

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:35 pm

Quoting 727forever (Reply 3):
Do your homework and research it out thoroughly. The job market is non-existant right now and will remain so for the next 2-3 years in my estimation. I'm not sure what it looks like in Saudia Arabia, but the rest of the planet for the most part has dried up when it comes to pilot jobs. I think this will ease in the coming years as there will be many pilots retiring, however it is still a very tough profession to get into and honestly most that start off never make it to a major airline. Also, when choosing schools shop around. ERAU is a very good school, but it is very expensive and unless you come from a lot of money, you'll be paying those loans whether you have a job or not. Something to keep in mind.

any another flight schools u know ?

will about the jobs saudi arabia bought about 50 airbus and also i think they will ask for pilots

loads of them and if we have 300 pilot i don't think so they will recrute them all unless they are all good to be recruted

Fly2HMO

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Quoting 747Fleet (Reply 4):

will about the jobs saudi arabia bought about 50 airbus and also i think they will ask for pilots

loads of them and if we have 300 pilot i don't think so they will recrute them all unless they are all good to be recruted

There's no way you're going to fly an airbus straight out of college. I graduated from ERAU with just under 300hrs, that's a useless amount of hours for an airline, and for pretty much any other flying job specially with this economic crisis. You need 2000hrs or more if you want to be flying in an airline. Right now there's no jobs whatsoever for low time pilots, which is what you would be when you graduate. If you were to start school right now maybe there will be more jobs for you, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

If you want to fly for fun though you don't need to go to ERAU and spend $200000 just to get a private pilots license. Search online, you'll find plenty of places to get a your license for $5000 or so.

I'd say right now you're better off as keeping your job as a mechanic.

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 pm

$200000 ???

is this just to deliever a point or actuall money i'm going to pay ? i only need 250 hours to work with saudi arabia airlines

saudi arabia airlines recrute newbies pilot and give them training as they become F/O then P to fly 747

as the airplane get bigger you become old  Smile

first u with fly with embraer 170 then u claim up ...

norcal

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 pm

ERAU is a great school if you have the money. If you don't there are plenty of other programs out there that are a little cheaper. UND, ASU, St. Louis, Western Michigan, Purdue, to name a few.

Do this job because you love it because you will never make a ton of money. Be ready to live in poverty the first couple years of the career under a mountain of debt with almost zero job security. You will be furloughed or laid off at some point, so prepare yourself for that. Realize you can be asked to be on the clock for 16 hours at a time and that you will wake up in hotel rooms and forget what city you are in. Live a modest lifestyle and plan it around your contractual minimum pay. Don't plan your life around 100 hours of pay a month because that is difficult to attain. Be prepared to move frequently or commute a lot.
[/b] This profession is rapidly losing the glamour it once had because [b] there will always be someone willing to do your job for less. If you can live with these realities and still enjoy flying then welcome aboard.

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Quoting NorCal (Reply 7):
Do this job because you love it because you will never make a ton of money. Be ready to live in poverty the first couple years of the career under a mountain of debt with almost zero job security. You will be furloughed or laid off at some point, so prepare yourself for that. Realize you can be asked to be on the clock for 16 hours at a time and that you will wake up in hotel rooms and forget what city you are in. Live a modest lifestyle and plan it around your contractual minimum pay. Don't plan your life around 100 hours of pay a month because that is difficult to attain. Be prepared to move frequently or commute a lot.
[/b] This profession is rapidly losing the glamour it once had because [b] there will always be someone willing to do your job for less. If you can live with these realities and still enjoy flying then welcome aboard.

that's encouraging

thanks alot C.  Smile

norcal

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting 747Fleet (Reply 8):

It might be different in Saudi Arabia than it is here (I hope it's much better) but that is the reality of the industry in the US.

Many people still think this is the lifestyle of a pilot

Getting all the cute FA's, making 300K a year, and only working 10 days a month is the glamourous picture of yesterday. That isn't the case anymore so if you do have a picture like the one above in your head get it out because that isn't what the lifestyle is like anymore.

Fly2HMO

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm

Quoting 747Fleet (Reply 6):

is this just to deliever a point or actuall money i'm going to pay ?

It is rare, but some people have paid over 200000. You will have pay over 100000 by the time you graduate that I can guarantee.

Obviously you don't pay it all at once, but expect to pay about 30000 to 40000 a semester at ERAU.

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Quoting NorCal (Reply 9):
It might be different in Saudi Arabia than it is here (I hope it's much better) but that is the reality of the industry in the US.

Many people still think this is the lifestyle of a pilot

Getting all the cute FA's, making 300K a year, and only working 10 days a month is the glamourous picture of yesterday. That isn't the case anymore so if you do have a picture like the one above in your head get it out because that isn't what the lifestyle is like anymore.

lol man i laughed alot

this not the picture in my head but a pilot get some of this .. lol let say occsionally lol

thank captin

413X3

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm

i only need 250 hours to work with saudi arabia airlines

Remind me never to fly with them

Mir

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Quoting 413X3 (Reply 12):
i only need 250 hours to work with saudi arabia airlines

Remind me never to fly with them

Ab-initio programs like that are not uncommon outside the US. Many European carriers have them.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

413X3

RE: Pilot Vs. Aircraft Mechanic

Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:51 pm

what airline can I be right seat with 250 hours in metal jets?

N353SK

Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:25 pm

Quoting 413X3 (Reply 14):
what airline can I be right seat with 250 hours in metal jets?

Any airline that hires you as a cadet and pays for your training.

Fly2HMO

Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 15):

Which don't exist in the US.

Heck, then you got the scammers at Gulfstream, where YOU pay the airline to fly for them.  banghead 

[Edited 2009-09-17 14:08:04]

[Edited 2009-09-17 14:09:13]

413X3

Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:49 pm

Quoting N353SK (Reply 15):

I simply asked which European airlines do this. So a Lufthansa first officer on a 737 has 250 hours?

747Fleet
Topic Author

Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:52 pm

guys saudi arabia airlines hires those pilots with 250 hours and train them for about 1 year then those trainers become first officers

this airlines hires those pilots with 250hrs and train them for the airline goods

we have only 4 airlines is saudi arabia

1 is the big boss
3 new companies and some of them still weak

Fly2HMO

Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 am

Quoting 747Fleet (Reply 18):
guys saudi arabia airlines hires those pilots with 250 hours and train them for about 1 year then those trainers become first officers

OK, where do I sign up? Big grin  duck 

747Fleet
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:19 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 19):
OK, where do I sign up?

u got a instant MSG, goodluck

HAWK21M

Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:45 am

I guess the title of the thread is very different from the topic at hand.Probably should read Aircraft mechanic to pilot.

Given the choice its about likes....I prefer Mx to Flt ops.But I have a few collegues who moved from AMEs to Pilots on the same type over a period of time.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Shhpanked

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:52 am

Quoting 747Fleet (Reply 18):

This might not be applicable to SV but my understanding about these 250 hour minimums for prospective FOs is if they already have a type rating. The only way to do that however is if you pay for your type rating through a company similar to Simuflite, Simcenter, Pan Am Academy, etc. I could be 100% off the mark on this but it's just what a heard through the grapevine.
People fly airplanes and pilots fly helicopters.

gf777

Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:35 am

Very interesting, as my self working as as aircraft mechanic with a life dream to become a pilot. I am in a phase between going to fulfill my dream as a pilot or to carry on my current job.

Is there any pilots here who were engineers or mechanic, do you regret move to pilot?

thanks

747Fleet
Topic Author

Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 pm

Quoting GF777 (Reply 23):
Very interesting, as my self working as as aircraft mechanic with a life dream to become a pilot. I am in a phase between going to fulfill my dream as a pilot or to carry on my current job.

Is there any pilots here who were engineers or mechanic, do you regret move to pilot?

thanks

exactly ... back on track  Smile

DocLightning

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Let me chime in here. I have absolutely zero experience working in the aviation field, but I do work in a field that required me to spend a few years working very odd and irregular hours (residency).

How well do you sleep? How well do you sleep when your time zone just switched by 6 hours? How well do you sleep when your time zone just switched the other direction by 8 hours two days later? How well do you sleep when you might have to go to work at 2AM, 5AM, 8AM, 3PM, or 8PM?

Second question: Do you want to have a family? How much do you want to be home for your wife (assuming I've got your gender and orientation correct)? How much do you want to be home for your kids? Your dogs?

These are serious questions. I had to live a life of constant shifts in my body clock that left me feeling exhausted, even after two weeks of vacation. I was never home, so I couldn't really build any personal relationships. Of course, for me, that's all over now. I chose a specialty that lets me work 9-5 M-F precisely for that reason.

My guess is that a mechanic works a pretty regular schedule and always sleeps in his own bed (at least if he so chooses  Wink ), even if his shift is the night shift. Pilots, not so much.

On the other hand, many pilots view these downsides as worth it. But it strikes me that being a pilot has at least this in common with being a doctor: If you could be happy and fulfilled doing another, less unpleasant job, then you should do that other job. If your only dream, passion, and hope of fulfillment is to be a pilot (or a doctor), then you should go for it with everything you've got and ignore the naysayers.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Shhpanked

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:41 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):
How well do you sleep? How well do you sleep when your time zone just switched by 6 hours? How well do you sleep when your time zone just switched the other direction by 8 hours two days later? How well do you sleep when you might have to go to work at 2AM, 5AM, 8AM, 3PM, or 8PM?

These considerations are pretty trivial don't you think? I hate waking up early just but like everyone else in the world I just have to deal with it. It's really isn't that huge of an issue and in my opinion shouldn't play into someone's decision to start training to be a career pilot.

tdscanuck

Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:00 am

Quoting Shhpanked (Reply 26):
These considerations are pretty trivial don't you think?

Nope. Not for me, anyway.

Not to say that they can't be overcome, or might not be worth it, but they're far from trivial. Getting up early is no big deal...your body clock is completely capable of adjusting to pretty much any schedule *if you keep it stable*.

This is where pilots (and other industries with erratic schedules) can get in trouble...it takes days or weeks for your body clock to adjust. If you change your schedule faster than your body can keep up, you will suffer a performance hit. You will be less safe. You will suffer health effects.

These risks can be mitigated to some degree, but not eliminated.

Tom.

Shhpanked

Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:33 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 27):
If you change your schedule faster than your body can keep up, you will suffer a performance hit. You will be less safe. You will suffer health effects.

But I'm sort of wondering is it something that should really weigh into a prospective student pilots decision to become a career pilot? I was unaware there were any long term ill effects on the body associated with fatigue. I suppose if that's the case then it sort of makes sense to ask the question, "is this career really for me?" For me I never considered what my work hours would be once I made the jump to commercial pilot getting paid to fly.

SEPilot

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 25):

On the other hand, many pilots view these downsides as worth it. But it strikes me that being a pilot has at least this in common with being a doctor: If you could be happy and fulfilled doing another, less unpleasant job, then you should do that other job.

Excellent point, and it applies to other fields as well. For me it was musician; I did seriously consider pursuing a career as an oboist. But I recognized that to do so would require that I sacrifice everything else to become good enough, and I just had too many other interests. In today's climate I think being a professional pilot is pretty much in the same category. If there is nothing else that you think will satisfy you, by all means go for it. But if you have other interests and do not want to devote your life 100% to it, you're probably going to be much happier keeping your present career and if possible getting your PPL and flying as a hobby (although I have no idea how feasible that is in Saudi Arabia; I am very fortunate that it is possible with relatively modest means in the US.)
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Mir

Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:45 pm

Quoting Shhpanked (Reply 28):
But I'm sort of wondering is it something that should really weigh into a prospective student pilots decision to become a career pilot?

You bet it is. If it's going to make your life miserable, you might as well know beforehand so you can seek other options.

I'm still moving ahead with my aspirations of becoming a professional pilot (not necessarily an airline one). But I am trying to keep my options open.

Quoting 413X3 (Reply 17):
So a Lufthansa first officer on a 737 has 250 hours?

It would not surprise me if their total was close to that (though I don't think it would be any less). Of course, they haven't done their training at Bob's Flight School - it's been LH-sponsored and certified training all the way, and it's a tough program to get into in the first place. So it's not like what the US regionals were doing a couple of years ago, taking people with wet commercial tickets from anywhere and putting them in the right seat of RJs.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

motopolitico

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:46 pm

I think this particular ATP's blog has very sound advice for anyone looking to embark on a career in flying. http://fl250.blogspot.com/

No connection to the blogger.
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

DocLightning

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:31 pm

Quoting Shhpanked (Reply 26):

These considerations are pretty trivial don't you think? I hate waking up early just but like everyone else in the world I just have to deal with it. It's really isn't that huge of an issue and in my opinion shouldn't play into someone's decision to start training to be a career pilot.

How about waking up early tomorrow, but really late the next day, and then mid-day on the day after?

I guarantee you will get very little sleep at all.

I was unaware there were any long term ill effects on the body associated with fatigue.

1) high blood pressure
2) weight gain
3) increased cancer risk
4) blood lipid issues
5) mood disorders/depression

I suppose if that's the case then it sort of makes sense to ask the question, "is this career really for me?"

Well, duh.

But let me tell you about how many nights during residency I didn't sleep. About the mornings where, during sign-out, I actually fell asleep in mid-sentence. The stress, the worry, the constant criticism, the little black box strapped to your waist that, when it beeped, could turn a perfectly fine day into a perfectly horrible day.

You put up with that stuff because you really, really want it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Shhpanked

Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 32):
I guarantee you will get very little sleep at all.

I work off very little sleep as it is and it doesn't bother me so clearly I'm the outlier. I'm typically in bed by 1130AM and up by 430AM which seems to be just enough sleep for me. In fact if I sleep more than 7 hour or so I wake up feeling really groggy.

1) high blood pressure
2) weight gain
3) increased cancer risk
4) blood lipid issues
5) mood disorders/depression

Thanks for listing these. Like I said I was unaware of health risks 1 through 4. I knew about mood disorders and depression caused by lack of sleep and fatigue but I thought these were mostly acute symptoms that disappeared once a person got the appropriate rest.

You put up with that stuff because you really, really want it.

In the end after rereading everything I think we may be agreeing with each other in a really ass backwards kind of way. I originally pointed out the sleep issues you mentioned as trivial because in my experience getting paid to fly trumps all for aspiring career pilots. So basically crossing time zones, waking up early, falling asleep at odd hours is all part of the game if it means a pilot can fly professionally.

413X3

Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:17 am

mistake caused from lack of sleep?  Smile You probably meant 11:30pm

VAAengineer

Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:25 am

Stay in MX if you make the right moves you can make alot of $
God's Gift To Aviation

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Quoting VAAengineer (Reply 35):

Stay in MX if you make the right moves you can make alot of $

Also depends on the place one works at.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 pm

Another thing to remember is "if your Mother and Farther were married to each other" you are not qualified to be an airline pilot.  wink 

B747FE

Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting GF777 (Reply 23):

Asalaam Alaykum!!

No regrets at all.
If flying is what you want, go for it.

Regards,
B747FE.
"Flying is more than a sport and more than a job; flying is pure passion and desire, which fill a lifetime"

Dalmd88

Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:11 am

So you want to go from some one that fixes airplanes to the one that says it's broke! INOP, I'm not taking this thing.

I've been a AMT for close to 20 years. I've found that you are either a pilot or a mechanic. A person can do either job, but they are much better at one than the other. The skill sets required are different. The two sides can get along if the pilot wants it to happen.

I always have fun drinking with my old college pilot buddies. Many of the other pilots around don't know how to interact with me. Maybe it is because I can see through the Superman cape that many outside of aviation put on them.

I don't discredit their talent. It is just different from mine. I've found pilots in general tend to be great artists. Some in music, some in paint, some in words. I like that stuff, but I know I'll never do it well. I know how to read music, but it's hard. When I look at a wiring diagram it jumps at me.

So, you need to ask your self what is your best skill set and run with that.

DocLightning

Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 39):
When I look at a wiring diagram it jumps at me.

That's just because you're strange.  Wink

Quoting Shhpanked (Reply 33):
So basically crossing time zones, waking up early, falling asleep at odd hours is all part of the game if it means a pilot can fly professionally.

Bingo. Which is why I put up with godawful hours, no pay, and mind-bending liability if it means that I can fix broken kids for a living.
-Doc Lightning-

-Carl Sagan

gf777

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:49 am

Quoting B747FE (Reply 38):
No regrets at all.
If flying is what you want, go for it.

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 39):
So, you need to ask your self what is your best skill set and run with that.

Thanks guys that is really helpful..

Regards

airbuster

Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Quoting 413X3 (Reply 17):
I simply asked which European airlines do this. So a Lufthansa first officer on a 737 has 250 hours?

I was flying an MD11 as Cruise Relief Pilot with 300hrs TT and a Fokker 70/100 with about 600hrs.

It's not uncommon in europe, you get drilled into the specific airlines procedures and the exams are tough, it's selection upon selection upon selection and exams, exams, exams. From the group that applys to an airlines flight academy only about 5% end up flying for the airline.

This is the system you should have in the USA, it wouldn't saturate the market as it does now.

For example, the KLM academy orginally trained 180 pilots a year, but because of the economic climate they only train 60 now. It's not a pilot factory that trains you and then puts you on the street with a huge loan. You either get a job and pay the loan back, or if you don't get a job within about 4 years or can't finish the course, you get your money back via a fund.

It's a fail safe system.

So don't worry about the LH A320 or 737 FO, he's not your average 250hr PPL sitting in the right seat.

rgds

AB
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!