WROORD
Topic Author

Private Jets And Traffic Control

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:12 pm

I frequently listen to ch9 on UAL flights and never came across any private jets being addressed by traffic control. Are they using different frequency or not using the same paths?

PGNCS

RE: Private Jets And Traffic Control

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 pm

Quoting WROORD (Thread starter):
I frequently listen to ch9 on UAL flights and never came across any private jets being addressed by traffic control. Are they using different frequency or not using the same paths?

How do you know they aren't there? They (almost always) simply use their manufacturer and registration number for a callsign, which is normally truncated after the first contact. They are on frequency with us all the time.

They often avoid bigger commercial airports in favor of smaller fields that are better set up to cater to their needs, so you won't hear as many on ground/tower/approach/departure frequencies at a place like ATL or ORD as on center frequencies, but they are out there.

swiftski

Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Quoting WROORD (Thread starter):
Are they using different frequency or not using the same paths?

Same frequency, same STAR and SID, and there aren't "private jet" waypoints and routes. I reckon you're either just not being on freq at the same time, or not identifying them when you do hear them.

IAHFLYR

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:38 am

If you heard Flexjet, Execjet, Fivestar, Conoco, Solutions, etc.,they are all frac-jet or corporate operators which you may consider private jets.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Soku39

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:41 am

If you flew a lot you'd hear em. Your ears probably just aren't used to picking out specific callsigns/names/types out of all the chatter. Be on the lookout for Asta, Citation, Gulfstream, Lear, Hawker etc etc followed by their reg.
The Ohio Player