Faro
Topic Author

Ring From Helicopter Rotor Blade/glove

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:12 am

I am searching for (a small chunk of) a used helicopter rotor blade or rotor blade glove from which the intention is to hew a set of wedding rings. It’s a long story, but that’s the gist of it for the purpose of this thread.

Can anyone help out on this one? Metal is important, don’t know how much metallic-bladed or -gloved rotors get rubbished these days. Cost is important too, don’t know what scrap value these items may have.

Many thanx!!

Faro
The chalice not my son

tdscanuck

RE: Ring From Helicopter Rotor Blade/glove

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:43 am

Quoting Faro (Thread starter):
I am searching for (a small chunk of) a used helicopter rotor blade or rotor blade glove from which the intention is to hew a set of wedding rings. It’s a long story, but that’s the gist of it for the purpose of this thread.

Does it have to be a helicopter, or is a propellor blade acceptable?

Tom.

Faro
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 1):
Does it have to be a helicopter, or is a propellor blade acceptable?

A helicopter blade if at all possible; failing that, a helicopter tail rotor blade or blade glove if it's got sufficient thickness.

Thanx in advance!

Faro
The chalice not my son

HaveBlue

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:35 pm

I've got 2' sections of Huey rotor blades, but I'm not parting with em. When they take a D or H model Huey and chop the rotor blade to fit on the smaller B or C model (or take a 205 blade and put it on a 204) they have to lop 2' off of each side, and that's what I got. You would be amazed how heavy it is.

Good luck with your quest though, cool idea.  Smile
Here Here for Severe Clear!

jarheadk5

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 pm

Interesting idea.

Metal is important, don’t know how much metallic-bladed or -gloved rotors get rubbished these days. Cost is important too, don’t know what scrap value these items may have.

Cost depends on the spar material. A titanium-sparred blade will have significant scrap value; even an aluminum-sparred blade will have a decent scrap value.

I'd be pretty surprised if any operator simply threw those sorts of things away. I know when I worked for Carson Helicopters, they kept every S-61 main rotor blade they had ever flown. They probably still have all their old metal blades, even though they've been flying their all-composite blades on all their aircraft for several years now.

Good luck with your search!
Cleared to Contact

2H4

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Quoting Faro (Reply 2):
failing that, a helicopter tail rotor blade

Here's one.

Here's another.

Edit - Just found a main rotor tip assembly

2H4

[Edited 2009-11-03 14:49:04]
Intentionally Left Blank

Faro
Topic Author

Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:34 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 5):
Here's one.

Here's another.

Edit - Just found a main rotor tip assembly

2H4

Thanx a million, never occured to me to look at Ebay, but there ya go!

Faro
The chalice not my son

DocLightning

Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:18 am

I can't help you, but it looks like 2H4 did a fantastic job of it.

But that's a beautiful idea, whatever the story behind it is. Are you going to have a stone set in hers? If so, consider sapphire, an allusion to a clear, blue sky, as an alternative to diamond (and often cheaper, too).
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Faro
Topic Author

Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 7):
But that's a beautiful idea, whatever the story behind it is. Are you going to have a stone set in hers? If so, consider sapphire, an allusion to a clear, blue sky, as an alternative to diamond (and often cheaper, too).

Funny that the idea was actually hers, and she's anything but an aviation-person. Still not set on the stone but we have to figure out how to tranform a chunk of tail rotor into a ring first (machining, melting, etc). The rotor itself is aluminium but the glove attachment should be steelesque. Sapphire is certainly a very pleasing sky blue, will think about it.

For information, the item is 1.95 meters long and 41 cm wide and prolly over 30 kg in weight: in tail rotor terms it's a whopper. The vendor is not sure of the helicopter model but there's a fair chance it was intended for the CH-37 Sikorsky Mojave, the biggest helicopter in the West when it came out in the 50's.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Reinhardt Rolf

Faro
The chalice not my son