zanl188

C-5 Upper Deck Venting

Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:40 pm

Checking out this C-5M pix I noticed light coming into the footwells from what appears to be the lower deck. I'm assuming the opening is a vent and the light is coming in due to the visor being open.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Seth Jaworski

I knew the troop deck was vented with a large floor grate in the galley, but had never seen anything similiar on the flight deck until now and assumed it had a more sophisticated floor vent like com'l widebodies have.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

JohnM

RE: C-5 Upper Deck Venting

Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:18 am

There are openings forward of the rudder pedals, but not for vents. Quite a few areas around the throttles, center console, etc have a panel below them, but don't actually seal the cockpit off from the cargo compt ceiling. There are vents (gaspers) right in front of the pilots, and ducts above their heads for proper heating & cooling. Just the way the plane was built, but not for ventilation. The openings you see do get the plane cold pretty fast in the winter when the visor is up and the wind blows.

The grate in the troop you mention is actually for easy removal to allow for refrigerators to be winched down to the cargo area for replacement. A winch is in the troop overhead (behind the trim panels) to raise and lower fridges. I have not seen that done in that manner for many years. A high reach truck does the job through the troop side door in modern times.

The C-5 ECS does a kick ass job EXCEPT for a very hot or cold troop compartment. It does not have the air volume that the rest of the plane has. So it takes longer to reach the desired temp, but can maintain it ok.

Dalmd88

Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:38 pm

The new avionics package looks nice. I heard it is an off the shelf commercial set up. Who makes it?

flybaurlax

Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:48 pm

It looks a lot like the C-130 AMP electronic package. I think it's pretty sweet looking.
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

zanl188

Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:19 pm

Quoting JohnM (Reply 1):
There are openings forward of the rudder pedals, but not for vents.

I'm sure the designers intended all of the openings mentioned to act as pressure relief vents vs having to design a vent .
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

JohnM

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 2):
The new avionics package looks nice. I heard it is an off the shelf
commercial set up. Who makes it?

It is Honeywell stuff. Most works ok, but with some exceptions. AFCS doesn't do as well as I think it should.