Fly2HMO

How To Skip The Biannual Flight Review: FAA Wings?

Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:46 pm

Long story short: As some of you may have read in my other threads, I'm up for the BFR (or whatever the FAA calls it now) by the end of this month. Problem is I'm outside of the USA for now and will remain so for quite a while, so It's not like I can just go the local airport and get the BFR done.

I signed up for the FAA's WINGS program website in which, from what I understand, I can use credits as a substitute to a BFR. But as with all government websites its is a very confusing site (maybe I'm just stupid). I can't seem to find courses that are exclusively online that would allow me to skip the BFR, and after reading it I'm not too sure it's even possible. Most courses seem to be in person and some require actually flying. Also I don't quite get how the credits system works. What gets you the BFR equivalent, completing X number of credits or a phase of the program?

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to get my BFR done online and without having to go all the way back to the states to fly.

Any ideas?

chrisjw

RE: How To Skip The Biannual Flight Review: FAA Wings?

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:53 am

I hope this helps, this is all I could find:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/wings/

Not sure if it totally replaces a BFR but some of AOPA's online courses can be used for wings credit. Just look for '*This course qualifies for AOPA Accident Forgiveness and the FAA Wings program.' on http://www.aopa.org/asf/online_courses/

[Edited 2009-12-04 17:55:45 by chrisjw]

pilotpip

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:14 am

Remember, your certificates don't expire. Just do the BFR when you get stateside. If it's going to be that long you won't be proficient any way so it would be prudent to fly a couple hours with an instructor anyway. Just make sure you include all the items needed for a BFR and you're done.

I was never a big fan of the WINGS program. It's great for learning some new things but it doesn't replace proficiency in the aircraft.
DMI

Fly2HMO

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:58 am

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 2):
It's great for learning some new things but it doesn't replace proficiency in the aircraft.

I know. I just lost my 90 day currency too. I will be back sometime in January. Besides, if you do the wings program you have to do 3 separate flights of 1 hour each PLUS several hours of ground school type stuff. Might as well just get the BFR out of the way like you say.

IAHFLYR

Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Quoting Pilotpip (Reply 2):
If it's going to be that long you won't be proficient any way so it would be prudent to fly a couple hours with an instructor anyway.

My thoughts exactly! And, finding a thorough instructor who will review any changes in regs and possible new TFR items that always seem to change may help keep the average Joe/Josephene off the local FSDO wanted lists.  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

soon7x7

Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:10 pm

I am enrolled in the Wings program currently and wouldn't think of trying to use it in lieu of a BFR...It's for your own good you get in the air with an examiner. As I currently am out of work...I still maintain all currencies but do not fly for pleasure, ($$$)...but when I do fly, it still surprises me how quickly the "second nature" mode of thought in the cockpit gets lost...No substitute for the real thing...j