Razza
Topic Author

B747 Auto-couple Capture

Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:24 am

Hey there guys...

Stumbled across a rather interesting video on youtube today, of a 747 undergoing some tests before its delivery. I ran a search on the forum for this video and for any information on this procedure but I came across nothing.

Anyhow... without further ado... here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmWWAe_otE

Sorry if it has been addressed before but basically, can anyone 'in the know' describe what is going on in the cockpit... are they calibrating instruments? is there something in particular they're looking for ?

Regards, Razza

[Edited 2009-12-04 17:25:51]

Fly2HMO

RE: B747 Auto-couple Capture

Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:05 am

Quoting Razza (Thread starter):
is there something in particular they're looking for ?

This is just a WAG, and I'm not too sure about the accuracy of the video's description, but they're definitely hand flying the plane the whole way down, the AP would never do that, and I can't think of a way to induce it to doing so.

lowrider

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:06 am

The only thing I can think of that they might be testing is the response of the flight directors and localizer CDI's in the plane. But using test equipment on the ground would have to be more cost effective. Otherwise, if that is an autopilot chasing the loc all the way down, I think a replacement might be in order.
Proud OOTSK member

Tiger119

Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 am

Quoting Razza (Thread starter):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmWWAe_otE

- Where was this video taken at?

David
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

747classic

Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:46 am

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 2):
The only thing I can think of that they might be testing is the response of the flight directors and localizer CDI's in the plane. But using test equipment on the ground would have to be more cost effective. Otherwise, if that is an autopilot chasing the loc all the way down, I think a replacement might be in order.

It could be a test of the on board ILS system . The antennas can only be properly checked with actual flying.
LOC capture antenna's, active with gear down and installed in the nose doors of the 747-400, could be checked out.
Tracking LOC antenna's are installed in the FWD lower fuselage and active, with gear up.
But IMO it's impossible to determine the exact cause of this strange maneuvers, by only looking at a video shot.
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.