HAWK21M
Topic Author

Length Of Ground Headset Cable.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:55 am

Is there any official Doc to suggest the standards for the Ground headset cable length required while connecting from Ground Maintenance to the Flight deck.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

avt007

RE: Length Of Ground Headset Cable.

Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm not sure, but for one aircraft I made an extension cord of 50 feet. This was for maintennace purposes, allowing me to plug into one external jack point, and crawl around inside the tail, or go up on a scissor lift to the tail. The only practical limit is the hassle of dragging the wire around.

jarheadk5

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:02 am

Never seen an official specification for that sort of thing, aside from the obvious things like having enough length to stay well clear of prop arcs, inlet hazard areas, etc.
Cleared to Contact

boacvc10

Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:24 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Thread starter):
Is there any official Doc to suggest the standards for the Ground headset cable length required while connecting from Ground Maintenance to the Flight deck.
regds
MEL.

Hi, I am a ham radio guy, and have wondered why use corded headsets at all ? you already carry a walkie-talkie on some frequency, why not request an RF adapter (Audio IN, Audio Out, modulator, RF transceiver) to plug in the socket for the audio. That way, the ground operator can be free to do whatever within a certain range (say 100 feet) of the aircraft on a 9 volts battery.

or, you could cheat and use a low cost blue tooth/audio converter for two-way conference in an interference free spread spectrum band that is "free to use" in almost all parts of the globe and also in the S. Asian regions.

I just did a random search and found some gadget, there are probably thousands of such variations or you can build your own...

See here

Think of the issues with "no wire" connecting ground op and the aircraft.. essentially the "headset" would have to be bluetooth compatible, or if bluetooth is not allowed, then it should have an integrated VHF transceiver.
Up, up and Away!

JAGflyer

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:58 pm

What about just a handheld radio transceiver? Have the pilots tune to an empty frequency or 123.45 and talk to them that way?
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

jetmatt777
Crew

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 4):
What about just a handheld radio transceiver?

The noise on the ramp is pretty loud, especially when you are 25 feet from two or more jet engines starting. Also, since it is "intercom" and never leaves onto an open frequency, your ground operators don't need a radio license or have to put their transmissions between other aircraft and ground crews on frequency.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

CanadianNorth

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 5):
Jetmatt777

Yeah, when everythings shut down a normal hand held radio would be fine, but when you're giving them a start once you have the engines running you pretty much need the fancy mouthpiece that goes around your face to help block the noise. Also plugging in puts you direct to the flight deck, no waiting for the radio to be free.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

thegreatchecko

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:22 pm

I'd love some type of wireless or radio device so I could talk to the ground crew, however, there would be some issues that would have to be solved, such as having to monitor and select between a ramp control and ground personnel frequency during pushback and engine start, which is a pretty busy time.

Plus, I'm sure any kind of radio intercom device would have to be "approved" by the appropriate government authorities and thus would be much more expensive than a regular cord simply because it an official sticker on it.

For the time being, I'm thinking the simpler, cable route will be the better choice.

Checko

[Edited 2009-12-12 11:22:43]
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

avt007

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:53 pm

A cable is easier, and when you're a mtce guy, sometimes you want both hands free. That's where a headset is better.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:54 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 1):
but for one aircraft I made an extension cord of 50 feet.

What Type aircraft was this.Were there no Service Interphone connections built on the Airframe.

Quoting BOACVC10 (Reply 3):

There are Wireless adapters available which is plugged to the Interphone panel & can be used within a fixed range.The problem is expense.

regds
MEL.

unattendedbag

Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Quoting BOACVC10 (Reply 3):
or, you could cheat and use a low cost blue tooth/audio converter for two-way conference in an interference free spread spectrum band that is "free to use" in almost all parts of the globe and also in the S. Asian regions.

That would require to aircraft "sync" up every time it approaches a gate or leaves the gate. If a plane is sitting at a gate, which is right next to 2 other gates, and those two gates are right next to 4 other gates, how difficult would it be for that single plane to "sync" up to its intended gate? And how hard would it be for that aircraft to "sync" up to different gates where ever it flies to?

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 4):
Have the pilots tune to an empty frequency or 123.45 and talk to them that way?

How many planes do you think push back at the same time at a busy airport? One? There can be more than 10 or 20 aircraft pushing back at the same time at a busy airport in the morning. It would be expensive to establish a single frequency for each gate. And that could lead to confusion over which frequency to monitor when.
Slower traffic, keep right

avt007

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:34 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 9):
What Type aircraft was this.Were there no Service Interphone connections built on the Airframe.

Dash 8. Only two jacks, one in the nose for pushbacks, and one in the RH nacelle by the refuel panel. Not much use if you want to work in the APU bay.

L-188

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 am

I don't think there are any "standards" other then the length the manufacter makes for their stock.

In theory there doesn't really have to be a length. I am sure those makes are buying the stuff in 1000 foot or better reels.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Maverick623

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 am

We used to have 20-foot reels to connect to the airplanes, but they were replaced not too long ago with stretch cords that give about... oh, 20 feet or so  Wink

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 7):
I'd love some type of wireless or radio device so I could talk to the ground crew

There are Bluetooth devices available, but they're costly to invest in, and need batteries.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 11):

Dash 8. Only two jacks, one in the nose for pushbacks, and one in the RH nacelle by the refuel panel. Not much use if you want to work in the APU bay.

Whats the procedure in case of communication with the Flt deck while working on the APU section.
regds
MEL.

avt007

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 pm

I've used it for troubleshhoting systems. For example, the Dash is famous for airconditioning snags. The headset is great because it blocks out the noise of the APU or packs, and lets you observe the pack valve response to commands from the cockpit.

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:30 am

There is a coiled wired type headset available similiar to the Telephone cable that expands when stretched & takes less space normally.
regds
MEL.

B6JFKH81

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 16):
There is a coiled wired type headset available similiar to the Telephone cable that expands when stretched & takes less space normally.

We primarily use the coiled ones. IIRC, we procure the 25 foot coiled ones for most of our operations. There are also 2 combinations that you can have. Either you have a push-to-talk headset with a non-push-to-talk cord, or the other way around. I can't remember which one we went with, but I think it was a push-to-talk cord because the cord is cheaper to repair/replace.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:37 am

We use the DC headsets but with non coiled cable.
regds
MEL.

Buzz

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi MEL,Buzz here. Our normal non-curly cord was 16 foot... maybe 4.5 meters.
The pushback tugs had a 25 foot curly cord.

g'day

HAWK21M
Topic Author

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Hey Buzz.
Nice to hear from you after a long time.Sure miss your intro dialogue '"This is buzz here"
When you say 25ft curly cord,you are mentioning the stretched length.right.
regds
MEL.