floreng

Honeywell 131-9 APU Lubrication (B737NG, A320)

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi,
I am looking for a schematic of the Honeywell 131-9A or -9B APU lubrication system (that's the APU for the B737NG and some of the A319-A321s). More specifically, I am trying to identify the locations of the oil pressure/oil temperature sensors, and whether all three lube module circuits have such sensors. Thanks a lot for any help and happy holidays!

tdscanuck

RE: Honeywell 131-9 APU Lubrication (B737NG, A320)

Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:38 am

Quoting Floreng (Thread starter):
I am looking for a schematic of the Honeywell 131-9A or -9B APU lubrication system (that's the APU for the B737NG and some of the A319-A321s).

737NG SSM 49-94-00 - APU Oil Distribution

Quoting Floreng (Thread starter):
More specifically, I am trying to identify the locations of the oil pressure/oil temperature sensors, and whether all three lube module circuits have such sensors.

It does not appear so. The output from all three pumps comes together prior to the pressure regulating valve before it heads to the oil cooler. The temperature sensor is on the oil cooler return and the pressure sensor is on the line from the lube module to the APU.

Tom.

floreng

Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:16 am

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 1):
It does not appear so. The output from all three pumps comes together prior to the pressure regulating valve before it heads to the oil cooler. The temperature sensor is on the oil cooler return and the pressure sensor is on the line from the lube module to the APU.

Thanks Tom, what would happen if the third pump on the lube module (the one that draws from the APU power section bearing) is not pumping because of a damaged gerotor while the other two three-module pumps are pumping OK and the overall pressure shows ok - can that affect the lubrication of the APU power section bearing?
Chris

tdscanuck

Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:50 pm

Quoting Floreng (Reply 2):
Thanks Tom, what would happen if the third pump on the lube module (the one that draws from the APU power section bearing) is not pumping because of a damaged gerotor while the other two three-module pumps are pumping OK and the overall pressure shows ok - can that affect the lubrication of the APU power section bearing?

This is not my area of expertise but, as far as I can tell from the schematic, it shouldn't make much difference. I don't have a great sense for the fidelity of the schematic I've got though.

There appear to be seven distinct pumps within the module...three to scavenge the generator, one to scavenge the turbine, and three pressurizing pumps to feed oil to the APU. The output of the three pressurizing pumps appears to be combined; as long as you've got flow and pressure from two remaining pumps, it looks like everything will get oil.

But I'd talk to an APU mechanic or a Honeywell person for a definitive answer on that one.

Tom.

floreng

Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Quoting Tdscanuck (Reply 3):
But I'd talk to an APU mechanic or a Honeywell person for a definitive answer on that one

Thanks, Tom. Please let me know if you find anything else.
Happy holidays!

HAWK21M

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:49 am

Quoting Floreng (Reply 2):

I suppose Fault Isolation manual will suggest replacing the Oil pump unit assy.The overhaul strip report thereafter if requested will reveal the internal fault.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)