Northwest727
Topic Author

What Can An AGI/IGI Do That A CFI/CFII Can't?

Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:54 am

Hi,

I'm a newly certificated CFI, (unemployed, unfortunately) will be receiving my CFII soon, and would like to obtain a gold seal in the future. As stated by AC61-65E (part 21(b)), a CFI needs to have an Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI) or Instrument Ground Instructor (IGI) certificate as one of the requirements in order to qualify. For the record, I currently hold an IGI.

Now I know that a CFI/CFII in effect, holds a Basic Ground Instructor (BGI) certificate, and is authorized to do said privileges as specified in 14 CFR §61.215(a).

The only thing I can gather between 14 CFR §61.215(a) and 14 CFR §61.215(b) is that a BGI is limited to sport, recreational, or private pilots, while an AGI is "for any certificate." Other than that, I am not clear on deciphering the regulations. It seems to me that an AGI/IGI does not even need to be a pilot in order to qualify, unless I'm missing something. In addition, a CFI and CFII certificate expire, whereas an AGI and IGI do not. When trying to see what an IGI can do verses what a CFII can do, I can't really see any advantage of an IGI over a CFII.

Thanks

Fly2HMO

RE: What Can An AGI/IGI Do That A CFI/CFII Can't?

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:09 am

Quoting Northwest727 (Thread starter):

I'm a newly certificated CFI, (unemployed, unfortunately)

Welcome to the club  Yeah sure  Wink

When trying to see what an IGI can do verses what a CFII can do, I can't really see any advantage of an IGI over a CFII.

I believe that you need your AGI and IGI to be able to instruct in a part 141 school. But don't quote me on that.

Mir

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:33 am

What Can An AGI/IGI Do That A CFI/CFII Can't?  

As I understand it, bupkis.

61.193 says that a CFI is able to give "training and endorsements" for a whole bunch of stuff. Among that stuff is "a pilot certificate", which leads me to believe that a CFI can do ground instruction for any certificate.

It seems to me that an AGI/IGI does not even need to be a pilot in order to qualify, unless I'm missing something.

Correct, and I think this is really why the AGI and IGI exist.

In addition, a CFI and CFII certificate expire, whereas an AGI and IGI do not

But there are recency requirements (61.217).

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
I believe that you need your AGI and IGI to be able to instruct in a part 141 school. But don't quote me on that.

141.33(a)(3) says that each instructor to be used for ground or flight training must have a flight instructor certificate OR a ground instructor certificate. What specific schools may require is a different matter.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

PGNCS

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
It seems to me that an AGI/IGI does not even need to be a pilot in order to qualify, unless I'm missing something.

Correct, and I think this is really why the AGI and IGI exist.

I also hold the AGI and IGI, though they are essentially worthless for a CFI. My understanding is that they exist to allow non-pilots to legally teach ground school for pilot certificates. I can't recall anything that an appropriately rated CFI can't do than an AGI/IGI can. As to why I hold the ratings, there is only a written test to obtain them and the questions come from a common FAA question bank. I took them as practice tests when warming up for my CFI; they didn't cost me any extra so I thought "why not"?

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):

141.33(a)(3) says that each instructor to be used for ground or flight training must have a flight instructor certificate OR a ground instructor certificate. What specific schools may require is a different matter.

Good call, Mir. I didn't have my FARs handy, but this reinforces the fact that all privileges that you can use as a CFI/CFII also cover AGI/IGI activities. Thanks for digging that out!

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:04 pm

An AGI/IGI gets to carry around another certificate.  Smile That's mostly what they are good for! I got them because it looked nice to have more certificates on the resume and it was a good warmup for the CFI/CFII writtens...
Chicks dig winglets.