kimon

Metal Reg Plate 744

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:37 pm

I have never seen one:
"When you board,there is a metal registration plate above or on the side of the open door which indicates year of manufacture"
Does anyone have photos of a reg plate on a 744?
Many thanks!
Dum Romae consulitur, Saguntum expugnatur

KELPkid

RE: Metal Reg Plate 744

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Here is the FAA requirements for the manufacturer's plate:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...0F39186256C3000428B1D?OpenDocument

Interesting read  

From that:

Quote:

b. Type and Placement of Identification. The identification must be fireproof, placed where it is not likely to be defaced or removed during normal service, and placed on a noncritical surface that is not normally removable (for example, not on an inspection plate, removable fairing, or access cover). Refer to table 1 below for additional identification plate location information.

Table 1, Identification Plate Location
Aircraft or Equipment Location Comments
Aircraft, except for balloons (1) Outside the aircraft so that it is legible from the ground, either just behind and next to the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage near the tail surface.
(2) If the aircraft was manufactured before March 7, 1988, some other interior or exterior location near an entrance, so that it is legible from the ground, either just behind and next to the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage near the tail surface. The model and serial numbers also must be displayed on the fuselage exterior.

For aircraft described in (2), the FAA accepts locations where you have to open a door, or remove items such as baggage or carry-on items, to make the plate visible. The plate may be covered or enclosed if it can be uncovered without tools or removing aircraft components.
Engines At an accessible place where it will not be lost in an accident.
Propellers, propeller blades, or propeller hubs On a noncritical surface. If possible, where it is visible without disassembly of the propeller.
Balloons On the balloon envelope and, if practicable, where it is legible to the operator when the balloon is inflated. Mark the basket and heater assembly with the manufacturer’s name, part number (or equivalent), and serial number (or equivalent).

Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

EMBQA

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 pm

All commercial aircraft have these....although locations tend to very. Most times they are located on the tail
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Goldenshield

Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
All commercial aircraft have these....although locations tend to very. Most times they are located on the tail

All non-ultralight aircraft have to have them. Even home-builts and balloons.

[Edited 2010-01-30 05:54:54]
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:49 pm

The Plate is supposed to be dustproof & Flame retardant.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

oldtimer

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:57 pm

Every commercial a/c I ever worked on had the plate in or around the L1 door area (on the UK Register) HS748, Comet, Trident, BAC 1-11, DC10, L1011, Bae 146, Avro RJ, Airbus A300 - B4, B727, B707, Viscount, Vanguard, Argosy. If not around the L1 door, they were in the area near the flight deck entrance. I have never seen one near the tail.
Oldtimer, I should have known better!

Tristarsteve

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:03 pm

All our aircraft, Boeing and Airbus have a stainless steel plate in the L1 pax door aperture at about head level. It is riveted to the door frame and is visible when entering the aircraft if you look up slightly.
Most aircraft also have a stainless steel plate on or adjacent to the cockpit door (inside) which gives details of the owner, usually a bank you have never heard of!)

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 2):
Most times they are located on the tail

Never seen that. But we are not FAA.

Also every engine has a similar data plate that stays with it for life.

Goldenshield

Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:45 pm

(a) Aircraft and aircraft engines. Aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must be identified, and each person who manufacturers an aircraft engine under a type or production certificate shall identify that engine, by means of a fireproof plate that has the information specified in §45.13 of this part marked on it by etching, stamping, engraving, or other approved method of fireproof marking. ... Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the aircraft identification plate must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

kimon

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Does anyone have a photo of it on a 747?
Much appreciated!
Kimon
Dum Romae consulitur, Saguntum expugnatur

EMBQA

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 6):
Never seen that

B727's had them on the door frame near the aft airstair pressure door. Embraer aircraft have them mounted on the belly on the tail. Saab 340/2000's have them mounted on the fuselage under the LH horizontal
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KELPkid

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:28 am

Quoting TristarSteve (Reply 6):
Never seen that. But we are not FAA.

Most GA planes here in the USA have the manufacturer's data plate underneath the horizontal stabilizer on the pilot's side of the aircraft.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

oldtimer

Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 7):
(a) Aircraft and aircraft engines. Aircraft covered under §21.182 of this chapter must be identified, and each person who manufacturers an aircraft engine under a type or production certificate shall identify that engine, by means of a fireproof plate that has the information specified in §45.13 of this part marked on it by etching, stamping, engraving, or other approved method of fireproof marking. ... Except as provided in paragraphs (c), (d), and (e) of this section, the aircraft identification plate must be secured to the aircraft fuselage exterior so that it is legible to a person on the ground, and must be either adjacent to and aft of the rear-most entrance door or on the fuselage surface near the tail surfaces.

Obviously an FAA requirement, but as stated previously, UK, and to my knowledge the rest of Europe, have these plates around the L1 door area.
Oldtimer, I should have known better!

Goldenshield

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:29 pm

Quoting Oldtimer (Reply 11):
Obviously an FAA requirement, but as stated previously, UK, and to my knowledge the rest of Europe, have these plates around the L1 door area.

As do all commercial aircraft in the US that I have seen. I'm thinking that there's an exemption to the above quoted regulation to provide relief for ICAO standards.