nmeier23

A320 APU Startup Time

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:55 am

Hi all,

Could anyone tell me what the startup time for an A320 APU is?

Couldn't find anything searching.

Thanks!
NM

EMBQA

RE: A320 APU Startup Time

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:44 pm

Most all APU's are running within 30-45 seconds...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

kimberlyRJ

Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Is it not good practice to allow the APU to run for a few minutes before it starts powering the aircraft etc, and on the other hand, when the engines are started (and powering the aircraft) is it not good practice to leave the APU on for a few minutes – I am sure I heard this was done in connection with the reduction of ware on the APU unit and its components?

Kimberly

Dalmd88

Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Quoting Kimberlyrj (Reply 2):
Is it not good practice to allow the APU to run for a few minutes before it starts powering the aircraft etc, and on the other hand, when the engines are started (and powering the aircraft) is it not good practice to leave the APU on for a few minutes – I am sure I heard this was done in connection with the reduction of ware on the APU unit and its components?

Usually the apu gen comes online as soon as the apu is running stable. As for pnumatics as soon as the pressure is up you can open the valve. For shutdown I let the temp stablize after shutting off the air and then select off. The apu goes through a cooldown cycle all by it's self.

CanadianNorth

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:32 pm

Not sure about the APU on the A320, but I can't see it being overly different from our 737s. On the 737 APU everything can work pretty much immediately after startup (startup takes probably about a minute or so, if that), but just as a work habit I usually let it run for a minute or two before I start turning things on, and then again on shutdown if it was doing anything more than just providing some electrical power then I'll turn off the pack or whatever, then give it a few minutes for the EGT to come down and settle out, then shut it down.

CanadianNorth
What could possibly go wrong?

flyinTLow

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:06 am

Depends whether the APU opening flap is open or not. This takes around 15 seconds to open it up. After that, the startup itsself takes around 30 to 45 seconds, as said before.

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 3):

Usually the apu gen comes online as soon as the apu is running stable. As for pnumatics as soon as the pressure is up you can open the valve. For shutdown I let the temp stablize after shutting off the air and then select off. The apu goes through a cooldown cycle all by it's self.

On the A320, the GEN is on as soon as the APU is running, but it is not connected to the aircrafts electrical system yet. On the A320, the engine and external power have a higher priority than the APU Gen, so whenever one engine is running or the External Power is selected on, it is used instead of the APU.
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

LHRjc

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Quoting FlyinTLow (Reply 5):
On the A320, the GEN is on as soon as the APU is running, but it is not connected to the aircrafts electrical system yet.

The only exception being if you start the APU from batteries without any external power, in which case as soon as the APU becomes available it will automatically power the aircraft's sytems up without any intervention.
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."

wing

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:24 am

A320 APU starts in aprox. 1 mins.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"