ag92

Pilot Disabilities

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:22 am

This is a relatively serious question, but basically I struggle to write properly, and have actually done very bad in school on the basis of the teachers just saying 0, can't read. We have an option to get a laptop in the exam, but then a label will be attatched saying that "I can't write legibly'. Will this be a problem if I want to pursue a career in the field of pilots?

MarcW10

RE: Pilot Disabilities

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Hello Ag92

I find myself in a similar boat to you. I have bipolar disorder and am trying to find a way to become a pilot, which day by day looks less and less likely. I'd think that you should be able to at least pursue a career in aviation. Maybe contact the Indian Ministry of Civil Aviation (http://civilaviation.nic.in/) using the contact us link, these guys would be in the best position to answer your question, as I'm pretty sure licencing requirements vary from country to country. Please update the thread if and when you get an answer on this, as I for one am interested to hear the outcome.

Marc

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:27 pm

When you say struggle to write properly.....are you saying your hand is not holding the pen well or are you saying that your handwriting is not easy to read.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

chrisjw

Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

I'm not positive on the rules in India, but the ICAO requires you to be "English Proficient" and here is what they test on:

Quote:
The proficiency scale ranges from Level 1 to Level 6, with guidelines published for:
-Pronunciation
-Fluency
-Structure
-Vocabulary
-Comprehension
-Interaction

Someone with more knowledge may be able to help you, but I don't believe you need to have legible handwriting (just look at doctors for an example or bad handwriting). Only problem I could see is just people always asking to clarify what you wrote on paperwork.

Once again, not an expert, just tryin to help out.

Fly2HMO

Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Thread starter):
Will this be a problem if I want to pursue a career in the field of pilots?

Could you elaborate more?

I interpret this:

but basically I struggle to write properly, and have actually done very bad in school on the basis of the teachers just saying 0, can't read. We have an option to get a laptop in the exam, but then a label will be attatched saying that "I can't write legibly'

as possibly meaning many different things.

EMBQA

Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:24 pm

If you have a dream, go after it... Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it or be something you want to be. You may need to work harder then others, put in longer hours then others, study harder then others.. but just don't give in. When you reach that goal the feeling of self pride will be worth everything you've been through
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Fly2HMO

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):

If you have a dream, go after it...

I will agree, mostly. Some people aren't meant to be pilots, even if they're physically fit to do it. Hard to explain, but I've seen it too many times in my relatively short aviation career.

413X3

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:42 pm

that might be the motivation you need to teach yourself to get better in what you don't excel in. Someone stomping on your dream should motivate you more

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:35 am

Quoting 413X3 (Reply 7):
Someone stomping on your dream should motivate you more

True....Very true.....If someone says you can't do a possible job....It should be highly motivating to attempt to achieve the job.
Working on ones weakness & practicing more than your competition is the mantra for success.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)