legoguy
Topic Author

BMI A320 - Nose Gear Fault? Or Poor Loading?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:18 am

I was out spotting today at the local airport and noticed a BMI A320 which was taxing out for departure with quite an obvious rearwards tilt. Linked is a picture of the aircraft in question from today.

I'm just wondering what is causing the aircraft to lean backwards? Poor loading and balancing or is the nose gear somehow damaged?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4350171586_bbbbd7d299_o.jpg

Dave
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

tdscanuck

RE: BMI A320 - Nose Gear Fault? Or Poor Loading?

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:48 am

Quoting legoguy (Thread starter):
I'm just wondering what is causing the aircraft to lean backwards? Poor loading and balancing or is the nose gear somehow damaged?

Could just be a very aft CG (not "poor", just odd) or an overserviced nosegear strut.

Tom.

bassbonebobo

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:30 am

I can't speak for the A320 but this is a very common sight on smaller aircraft (Piper Cherokee, C172, etc.) In my experience it can be accomplished with a well executed soft field landing followed by minimal braking. My instructor and I would make the last landing of a lesson a soft-field and see if we could get the plane to its tie-down without compressing the nose strut..

In the case of that photo, however, my guess would be a combination of an aft CG and an overserviced nose strut. A light touchdown followed by a long rollout on arrival could play some roll, though.

I'm interested to hear from any A320 pilots or mechanics on this one.
Rule #176. Any device that can crawl across the table on medium, does not need to be brought into the office.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Quoting bassbonebobo (Reply 2):
In the case of that photo, however, my guess would be a combination of an aft CG and an overserviced nose strut. A light touchdown followed by a long rollout on arrival could play some roll, though.

Could be that the brakes had been applied or there was a bump on the runway and the nose strut was rebounding when the picture was snapped.

DocLightning

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:02 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 3):

Could be that the brakes had been applied or there was a bump on the runway and the nose strut was rebounding when the picture was snapped.

He said he saw it taxi out with the tilt, so presumably he means that it was that way for a while. I appreciate the above responses. What is "overserviced?"
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

tdscanuck

Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:18 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 4):
What is "overserviced?"

Too much pressure in the strut. For a given ambient temperature, there's a proper range of pressure that should be in the strut to give the proper extension for a given weight. If you put too much charge in the strut, it will be longer than it's supposed to be at a given weight.

Tom.

legoguy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Many thanks for the replies. Indeed the aircraft also taxied out onto the runway with the rearwards tilt so it could not be attributed to a bump in the runway as the photo was taken. I assame then that a rearwards centre of gravity would not have any serious effects on flight apart form a slight nose up attitude.

Thanks again guys,

Dave
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

tdscanuck

Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Quoting legoguy (Reply 6):
I assame then that a rearwards centre of gravity would not have any serious effects on flight apart form a slight nose up attitude.

As long as you're inside the flight envelope, there's no serious effect. It shouldn't result in a nose-up attitude. An aft CG actually reduces the amount of downforce the tail has to provide, which reduces the amount of lift the wing needs to generate, which reduces AoA, which leads to a more nose-down attitude. But the change is so tiny I suspect it's functionally invisible.

Tom.