golftango
Topic Author

Crew Cell Phone Use While In Flight

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:09 pm

Today while monitoring the JFK tower on LiveATC (excellent app for the iPhone!) a departing DL had the annoying "buzz/interference" from a GSM cell's pulse rate on their radio. The interference was heavy and continued as they acknowledged the hand off to departure. It was pretty obvious that one of the crew had his/her cell phones on while in flight. Is it common for the crew to keep their cell phones on?

Fly2HMO

RE: Crew Cell Phone Use While In Flight

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Quoting golftango (Thread starter):
It was pretty obvious that one of the crew had his/her cell phones on while in flight. Is it common for the crew to keep their cell phones on?

It could very well been your own phone, or a passenger's phone, or the controllers phone, the airport terminal janitor's phone, the crew's phone, an F/A's phone etc etc...   

[Edited 2010-02-23 13:16:13]

golftango
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:22 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 1):
t could very well been your own phone

No - iPhone has no GSM pulsing. Again, I was listening to ATC ON my phone.

or a passenger's phone

No. The phone has to be in close proximity to get interference, had to have been crew.

or the controllers phone

No. If this was the case, the interference would have occured each time the controller keyed his mic. It was only occuring each time the DL crew keyed their mic.

the airport terminal janitor's phone...

Now you're being silly.

mandala499

Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Quoting golftango (Reply 2):
No. The phone has to be in close proximity to get interference, had to have been crew.

Proximity to the? Mic? or transmitter?

Probably one of them simply forgot...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Fly2HMO

Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 pm

No - iPhone has no GSM pulsing. Again, I was listening to ATC ON my phone.

GSM phones do it too. Get it on my computers speakers all the time with both CDMA and GSM phones, even by my friend's iphone.

The phone has to be in close proximity to get interference, had to have been crew.

Not necessarily. On a good day if I leave my phone in the bathroom I'll hear the pinging on my PC's speakers. Yes they do tend to be very sensitive to that but it goes to show the phone does not have to be right next to any other apparatus to cause interference.

Now you're being silly.

My point is, you have no way of knowing for sure.

Starlionblue

Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 pm

To answer your question, it is not common for the crew to leave their phones on. It is probably against regs. However as mentioned above, someone probably just forgot. Could be crew or pax. It happens every day. I bet there's a cell phone on pretty much on every flight.

No - iPhone has no GSM pulsing.

Of course it does.

or a passenger's phone

Not really. The antennas are not only on the flight deck.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Alias1024

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 am

Definitely not true. I've been in an aircraft and heard the static through my headset. Both myself and the other pilot checked our phones and they were off. It had to have been someone in the cabin.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

tdscanuck

Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 5):
Not really. The antennas are not only on the flight deck.

The antennas aren't the problem...your PC speakers pick up cell phone interference just fine and they don't have any (designed) antenna at all. The audible frequency side-band transmissions from cell phones can be picked up by wires all over the place...and airplanes are stuffed full of wires. So all it takes is proximity and/or power between the transmitter and *any* wire that connects to the communication system. It could be a passenger anywhere in the aircraft, or someone's phone in their luggage that they forgot to turn off, or...

Tom.

golftango
Topic Author

Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 5):

Of course it does.

What I meant to say was that it has no interference like older GSM phones. I can have it on all day next to my PC speakers, monitor, etc and have zero interference.

Thanks for the replies, then it sounds like a pax left his/her phone on.

thegreatchecko

Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 3):

Probably one of them simply forgot...

Bingo! I know I've done it. Once, I even received a text in cruise!

Funny, I have an iPhone, have left it on in my pocket, AND have heard the pulsing through my headset in the cockpit.  
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

rolypolyman

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 am

It could have also been someone with a cell phone near the LiveATC receiver. For example, if the cell interference was faint and there was no radio transmission, the receiver squelch would not be tripped and you wouldn't hear it. But when the aircrew transmits, it produces just enough RF energy to trip the squelch, and then the interference at the receiver site is heard, too.

goboeing

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 am

golftango -

Just to agree with the other post on here, it can definitely be from someone in the cabin or a flight attendant in the jumpseat. I had it happen once where I was sure it was me or the other pilot as usual, forgetting to turn ours off, and ours were both off. Also could be a jumpseater in the cockpit. You get the idea.

mandala499

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:48 am

Quoting TheGreatChecko (Reply 9):
Bingo! I know I've done it. Once, I even received a text in cruise!

I once called a friend... normally call 30 mins after his scheduled arrival time... he rejected the call and 1 minute later I received a text message: "AH F*** AM@8000 ONDES ### CRPPY WX. WILL CALL EST 0045 FRM NOW" (### the VOR over the field)
Apparently he forgot to switch his cellphone off... he forgets on his bad days...
The last time I received a text in cruise was during a single engine descent on a flight with multiple problems... mind you, I had a pax receiving a call at FL220...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !