flyinTLow
Topic Author

JAR CPL Into US PPL?

Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Hey there!

First of all, I did a search on this topic, and couldn't come up with any results. Also please bear with me if this is the wrong forum to post this in. Didn't know where else to really put it.

I have a JAR CPL-IFR with ATPL theory CAT III yada yada yada and want to visit the USA this summer with a friend. We were thinking about hiring a Cessna somewhere in FL for a few short hops. I have heard from some people that it's supposedly possible to have a US PPL accredited to a JAR CPL license.

Does anyone know how this is done? Who do I have to turn to? Most likely the FAA. But are there forms for this? What are the requirements? What are the costs?

Thanks for any help!

Thilo
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

Fly2HMO

RE: JAR CPL Into US PPL?

Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 pm

Quoting flyinTLow (Thread starter):

Does anyone know how this is done? Who do I have to turn to? Most likely the FAA. But are there forms for this? What are the requirements? What are the costs?

Most schools could help you out with that. Here's the FAA reg:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...t&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14

flyinTLow
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:17 am

Thanks a lot for the info!
- When dreams take flight, follow them -

9VSIO

Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:21 pm

You should be able to get the IR as well, iirc.
Me: (Lining up on final) I shall now select an aiming point. || Instructor: Well, I hope it's the runway...

glen

Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm

It is important to have your JAR-License verified before you go to the states:
http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certific...tion/foreign_license_verification/
You will have to send the form to the FAA and they will get the necessary information from your CAA (LBA?). Check the time needed for the whole process!

Because the administrator will have to assess your language abilities (no big deal, he just wants to talk with you personally), you will have to go to a FAA-office once your in the country. I assume it is one of those for FL:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/fsdo/index.cfm?state=FL&x=12&y=7
Together with the verification above it won't take long then for a FAA-license, based on your JAR-license. You will get a temporary license, allowing you to fly right away. All you will have to do then is a biennial flight review with a instructor which can be incorporated with a check-out where you want to rent your plane.

Quoting 9VSIO (Reply 3):
You should be able to get the IR as well, iirc.

For that you would have to complete a written test (i.e. multiple choice on a computer). Needs about two or three days preparation and can be done at bigger schools. If you are intersted in this it would be better to have it finished before applying for the new license at a office - so it could be incorporated into the new license right away.

[Edited 2010-03-01 07:20:32]
"The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view." - Albert Einstein

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 pm

Quoting GLEN (Reply 4):
Because the administrator will have to assess your language abilities (no big deal, he just wants to talk with you personally), you will have to go to a FAA-office once your in the country. I assume it is one of those for FL:
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...s/fsdo/index.cfm?state=FL&x=12&y=7
Together with the verification above it won't take long then for a FAA-license, based on your JAR-license. You will get a temporary license, allowing you to fly right away. All you will have to do then is a biennial flight review with a instructor which can be incorporated with a check-out where you want to rent your plane.

You could as well go to the FAA field office in FRA. It used to be on the grounds of the old Rhein-Main Airbase, but AFAIK has now been transfered to the American consulate. I did the interview for my A&P licence there.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi