WESTERN737800
Topic Author

If You Were To Glue A Toolbox To A Hangar Floor.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:43 am

Hey gang. I help out the mechanics in a small FBO shop. Its been slow as late. A couple of the mechanics have been doing the occosional prank on each other. One mechanic has a craftsman toolbox about 4' long and 3' high. It has the black tires about 3" in diamater. I am really wanting to superglue all four wheels to the shoop floor! Now what is the best kind of glue for this application? Also should I get a new set of wheels in case we mess up the ones he has. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Bring back Western Airlines!

ajd1992

RE: If You Were To Glue A Toolbox To A Hangar Floor.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:46 am

Well, araldite or epoxy resin but I highly doubt your employers are happy to pay you for gluing stuff to the hangar floor.

n901wa

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 am

Hey Fastweld works great, and it won't damage the wheels. But a better on is to safety wire the lid closed   Use breakaway wire and wrap it behind the latch so he can't see it. It works Great!   another one is to double stick tape the bottom of his box to the Hanger Floor. What can I say, we have fun at work over the years  

wn700driver

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 am

CL300. That stuff will hold lose bolts into a prop spinner. The trick is to make sure that enough time has gone by. The smell is distinct and powerful. But seriously, you could probably glue a Lion and a Bull Elephant together with this stuff...
Base not your happiness on the deeds of others, for what is given can be taken away. No Hope = No Fear

boeing767mech

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:31 am

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Thread starter):
Its been slow as late. A couple of the mechanics have been doing the occosional prank on each other.
Quoting n901wa (Reply 2):
But a better on is to safety wire the lid closed Use breakaway wire and wrap it behind the latch so he can't see it. It works Great!

We had a mechanic that was a royal pain. to get back at him the other mechanics took and cleaned the mating surfaces on his top box with MEK and then sealed it shut with 1435 PRC. But before they sealed it shut they hooked up an expired life vest covered in flour inside the lid so it would go off when he got it open. After that he never messed with anyone.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

b78710

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:31 am

take all the wheels off first, and hide them inside the toolbox.

is it padlocked? if so, buy an identical padlock, and switch them when he isnt watching, he'll lock it up at night as usual and not suspect anything. then just glue the whole of the base to the floor with some arylidte or something

nomadd22

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:33 am

Fast cure Marine 5200.
But it would be better to just put dabs of it on the wheels. Then they'll spend ten minutes trying to push it around before they figure out what's wrong.
Anon

FredT

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:18 pm

What's the top coat of the floor... ?

And how much of a raise will you get from it being missing in four spots?
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

WESTERN737800
Topic Author

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Quoting ajd1992 (Reply 1):
I highly doubt your employers are happy to pay you for gluing stuff to the hangar floor.

They used to frown on it more. It is good for morale and comradare!

Quoting boeing767mech (Reply 4):
cleaned the mating surfaces on his top box with MEK and then sealed it shut with 1435 PRC. But before they sealed it shut they hooked up an expired life vest covered in flour inside the lid so it would go off when he got it open.

Wow thats a good one!

Quoting b78710 (Reply 5):
is it padlocked? if so, buy an identical padlock, and switch them when he isnt watching, he'll lock it up at night as usual and not suspect anything. then just glue the whole of the base to the floor with some arylidte or something

No padlocks, he just leaves it unlocked.

Quoting FredT (Reply 7):
What's the top coat of the floor... ?
Quoting FredT (Reply 7):
And how much of a raise will you get from it being missing in four spots?

About 9 years ago, we painted the floor with white paint. I cant remember the brand or kind i think it was around $40-75 per gallon. Now about 50% of it has come off the floor. I don't think the bosses would get too worked up about it as long as I didn't do any of it on company time.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Reply 8):
I don't think the bosses would get too worked up about it as long as I didn't do any of it on company time.

When I was in the USAF we had racks were our tool boxes were stored. One of the "tricks" was to drill throught the rack and the botton of the box and install a Jo-Bolt of two. Then sit back and watch when the pigon tried to get his tool box from the rack. We also would drop a hand full of rivets in an unprotected cup of coffee.

We had to stop with the "tricks" when a bucking bar was put in one guys lunch box and as he pulled it from the shelf the handle broke and the box and bucking bar fell on the guys foot! Our boss didn't like it one bit.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:12 am

I am really wanting to superglue all four wheels to the shoop floor!

Why on earth would you want to damage someone else's toolbox, especially in Aviation?   

This is crossing a very fragile line, I tell ya. My advice: Don't.    No one likes their tools and toolbox screwed around with or destroyed.

Do some other pranks that do not piss of someone nor destroys anything. I have a few in mind that you can actually use....

I highly doubt your employers are happy to pay you for gluing stuff to the hangar floor.

I agree. Especially if your employer leases out said hangar from somebody else.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

WESTERN737800
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 am

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):
When I was in the USAF we had racks were our tool boxes were stored. One of the "tricks" was to drill throught the rack and the botton of the box and install a Jo-Bolt of two. Then sit back and watch when the pigon tried to get his tool box from the rack. We also would drop a hand full of rivets in an unprotected cup of coffee.
We had to stop with the "tricks" when a bucking bar was put in one guys lunch box and as he pulled it from the shelf the handle broke and the box and bucking bar fell on the guys foot! Our boss didn't like it one bit.

Those are some good ones!

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 10):
Why on earth would you want to damage someone else's toolbox, especially in Aviation?
This is crossing a very fragile line, I tell ya. My advice: Don't. No one likes their tools and toolbox screwed around with or destroyed.

I don't think his tools would be in any danger. He is a very easy going, laid back guy. I can't think of any other mechanic who I would or could do this to. I think I might buy a set of wheels in case I screw his up, so as to right the wrong.

Do some other pranks that do not piss of someone nor destroys anything. I have a few in mind that you can actually use....

Please tell me what they are! I need all the help I can get!

I agree. Especially if your employer leases out said hangar from somebody else.

Our company owns the hangar. About half of the paint is missing off of the floor, so I wouldn't make it look any worse. I would do it on my time so there should be no harm there.

Dalmd88

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 am

In this case open up the top drawer and tape a couple of syringes filled with hand cream to the bottom of the drawer. He will come in and slam the drawer shut, splat.

Greasing the undersides of the drawer pulls is also a nice harmless one. Now for a real creative one, but can be harmfull, is to 'rivet' a locking device across the drawers. You make a strip of aluminum that goes across the drawers. Glue like four Cherrymax rivet heads to each end. Then glue the strip to the front of the box. The mark thinks the strip is riveted to the box and then procceds to drill the rivets out. If he knows how to drill a cherrymax it's all funny. If not he drills into his own box.

One thing to remember, pranks tend to lead to more pranks.

tdscanuck

Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:57 am

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Reply 11):

Wait until he's removed something from the aircraft...if he's doing his job right, the removed hardware will all be in a nice tidy container or bag. When he's not looking, find some large and obviously important fasteners and drop them in the bag. If he's *really* clued in to the job he'll realize what you did, but most of the time he'll just freak out trying to figure out what he missed when he puts it all back together and has stuff left over.

Tom.

AirframeAS

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:38 am

Quoting WESTERN737800 (Reply 11):

You're that desperate, aren't ya?  

One example is using Aeroshell33 and apply it to the drawers where you grab to open it up underneath it. One inspector did that to some guy at F9 and worked like a charm, except that the inspector greased all the drawer handles completely and the guy did not know all his toolbox drawers were greased! It took him a couple days to figure that out.

And I have more.....   

KELPkid

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:41 am

If there is any treaded steel around the shop (or even a steel table top that the toolbox regularly gets set on), I could see having some fun with JB Weld 
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

lowrider

Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:22 am

My personal favorite is to install a few grease zerks and proceed to fill the entire interior cavity. A close second is to sand flat spots on each of the wheels. Let us know the results.
Proud OOTSK member

tb727

Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Quoting DALMD88 (Reply 12):
You make a strip of aluminum that goes across the drawers. Glue like four Cherrymax rivet heads to each end. Then glue the strip to the front of the box. The mark thinks the strip is riveted to the box and then procceds to drill the rivets out. If he knows how to drill a cherrymax it's all funny. If not he drills into his own box.

I like that one, I am going to go into the hanger at work and do that one of these weekends to one of our mechanics. The best thing is, I am a pilot and he will be thinking it will be one of the other mechanics, never expect me!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

WESTERN737800
Topic Author

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 14):
You're that desperate, aren't ya?

Yessir I am. I'm frantically trying to build up employee morale here!

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 14):
And I have more.....

Let me know what they are. Thanks for all your help in this critical matter!

Mender

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:38 pm

I can't remember the name of the clear plastic film our composite shop uses when laying up repairs but it's great for pranks.

What you do is pour a can of paint or sealant onto the plastic film leaving the can on its side as though it has been knocked over.

Wait for the whole lot to completely dry then peel away the plastic film. Then all you have to do is place the 'spillage and container' onto his tool box and wait.

At first glance it will look like his toolbox is wrecked but it will just lift off without damage.

nomadd22

Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:54 pm

You could always save a lot of time and trouble and just go with the old extra bolt in the parts tray trick.
Anon

Skydrol

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:28 am

I remember this prank being done in the hangar where I worked:

Paint the front, back and sides of the toolbox with (liquid) honey.
Wrap the entire honey-covered toolbox with a roll of toilet paper.

This will keep him busy for a while.  

Bonus: No wheels to replace or floor damage.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

ex52tech

Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:37 am

Quoting boeing767mech (Reply 4):
We had a mechanic that was a royal pain. to get back at him the other mechanics took and cleaned the mating surfaces on his top box with MEK and then sealed it shut with 1435 PRC. But before they sealed it shut they hooked up an expired life vest covered in flour inside the lid so it would go off when he got it open. After that he never messed with anyone.

We would have taken his box over to the freight dock, loaded it on a 742 F, and sent it to Narita........ and we did do that once.
"Saddest thing I ever witnessed....an airplane being scrapped"

ThirtyEcho

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:02 am

Please tell us how long it takes for you to find a new job after they fire your irresponsible ass. Do keep in touch.

A346Dude

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:01 am

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 23):
Please tell us how long it takes for you to find a new job after they fire your irresponsible ass.

Are you always such a killjoy? Mechanics have been pranking each other since the first airplane came into the first hangar. Done right it's harmless, funny, reduces stress and builds morale.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

AirframeAS

Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:13 am

Quoting Skydrol (Reply 21):

We're not trying to destroy other people's toolboxes here.... remember??

Quoting ex52tech (Reply 22):
We would have taken his box over to the freight dock, loaded it on a 742 F, and sent it to Narita........ and we did do that once.

Mine almost got sent to MKE with the moving trucks.   

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 24):
Are you always such a killjoy?

But he is right though...... I have seen people get terminated for doing real, real stupid crap.

boeing767mech

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:49 am

Are you always such a killjoy? Mechanics have been pranking each other since the first airplane came into the first hangar

At least it's mechanics we are messing with, and not putting shoe polish on the insides of the shoulder harness of the pilots....... Not that we would ever do that.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 25):
Quoting Skydrol (Reply 21):

We're not trying to destroy other people's toolboxes here.... remember??

And sometimes messing with someone's toolbox knocks them down a few notches and makes them see what kind of an jerk they are being. We only fill the drawers of the said jerk with skydrol if they don't get the message.

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 25):
But he is right though...... I have seen people get terminated for doing real, real stupid crap.

The company I work for sometimes it is a supervisor helping us do the work to the victims toolbox. I know he drove the forklift when mine was tiewrapped to the rafters, this was there way of showing that you made your probation period. If it was wrapped in plastic with a pink slip you knew that you had to look for another job.
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

DL_Mech

Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Quoting boeing767mech (Reply 26):
At least it's mechanics we are messing with, and not putting shoe polish on the insides of the shoulder harness of the pilots....... Not that we would ever do that

Or use cockpit coat hangers to fix the lavatory flap.

Quoting lowrider (Reply 16):
My personal favorite is to install a few grease zerks and proceed to fill the entire interior cavity.

Or fill a drawer with Oil-Dri.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Danfearn77

Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:01 am

Haha excellent idea! I once did this with my bosses' phone. I told him an important person had called for him, an said i would put her through. I hid round the corner, rang his phone and watched! I'd do this on April 1st thought, maybe a bit more leeway will be given!  
Eagles may soar high, but weasels dont get sucked into jet engines!

WESTERN737800
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 23):
Please tell us how long it takes for you to find a new job after they fire your irresponsible ass. Do keep in touch.

I am very responsible. Our department is open 7 days/week, I keep the bussiness open when nobody is willing to. I've had numerous coworkers tell me over the years that If I go it'll take them two people to replace me.

Done right it's harmless, funny, reduces stress and builds morale.

Exactly. Its not like we do this stuff every day.

AirframeAS

Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Quoting boeing767mech (Reply 26):
And sometimes messing with someone's toolbox knocks them down a few notches and makes them see what kind of an jerk they are being. We only fill the drawers of the said jerk with skydrol if they don't get the message.

Destroying other mechanics tools and toolboxes with Skydrol helps solve problems? I disagree. It only makes the problem worse.

DocLightning

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 pm

A word of advice:

A prank is funny when it does no damage (or trivial, easy-to-repair damage), but startles the hell out of someone. Examples are:

*Short-sheeting a bed
*Wrapping someone's car in saran wrap
*Planting a fake "Pink Slip" in someone's mailbox
*Greasing the toilet seat
*Unscrewing the top of the salt shaker

In other words, DO NO HARM.

What you're proposing will permanently damage this man's property (or the company's) and that's not cool.

Now, regular Krazy Glue completely dissolves with nail polish remover or a bit of acetone (same thing, really). Just make sure that the acetone won't destroy the wheels on the toolbox first.

One of the funniest pranks I ever pulled was in middle school. My teacher handed me her car keys to get something that she needed out of her car. I switched her baby's car seat from the passenger side to the driver's side. I got to watch her spend a good minute scratching her head when she got to her car that afternoon. No harm done, but the expression on her face was funny as hell.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Thrawn

Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:14 am

Just fill his toolbox with expanding foam that is used for insulating walls, he will be chipping it out for weeks 
We did this to a rather annoying apprentice  

HAWK21M

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:06 am

Unless the people involved including the victim have a sense of humour....I would not suggest pranks that damage Personal/official equipment......Instead using Lockwire would be safer.

If the Employee is not the type to take pranks it would lead to further enemity & revenge which in an official premises is dangerous.Some Employees can end up making an official complaint.....That can complicate matters.

So you need to balance the pranks with the mindset of the Individuals too.

regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

MD11Engineer

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Quoting b78710 (Reply 5):

Years ago, when I did my apprenticeship, we had a lazy apprentice, who never locked his toolbox, even though he was constatly reminded by the foreman and other mechanics to do so (it was our regulations to keep the toolbox locked due to responsibility for one´s tools).
So one day the mechs again found his toolbox open after the apprentice had gone home.
Well, they first went to the scrap box and filled it up with old screws and bolts, making it about 40 lbs heavier (these old Interflug boxes were quite big), then they topped it up with Grease 7 (the smelly stuff) from the pneumatic grease gun. Finally they added a layer of talcum powder and put it back to where they found it.
Next morning the apprentice came, picked up his toolbox and almost got a hernia from the additional weight. Then he spent the next two hours grumbling and cleaning his tools. To add insult to injury the hangar manager came ikn, saw the apprentice and told him:" Andreas, I see that you didn´t lock your toolbox again. Just that you know it, the two hours you spent on cleaning your tools, you will work them as unpaid overtime after the end of your shift!"
The guy never left his toolbox open again.

In another job in an electric power station, a guy who left his toolbox open, had to do an easter egg hunt through the boiler house (big and full of pipes and machinery) for his tools, which his colleagues had hung up on pieces of welding rod all over the place.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

AirframeAS

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 31):
A prank is funny when it does no damage (or trivial, easy-to-repair damage), but startles the hell out of someone.

Now we're talkin!   

TSS

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Doc, I agree with your whole post except this one item-

*Planting a fake "Pink Slip" in someone's mailbox

I can see that all too easily resulting in the victim of the prank telling off his supervisor and/or co-workers or simply leaving work and not returning before anyone gets a chance to let him know it was just a joke, resulting in him getting a real "pink slip".
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Spacepope

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Now, regular Krazy Glue completely dissolves with nail polish remover or a bit of acetone (same thing, really). Just make sure that the acetone won't destroy the wheels on the toolbox first.

In my lab I'd use Paleobond PB 750 (cyanoacrylate adhesive). You can dissolve it wioth acetone or calcium chloride solution. Also, you can use an activator so they job is done in 20 seconds, yet removeable. Less messy/stinky and easier to remove than epoxy.

Sounds like a fun prank. We do that kind of stuff while on 2-3 week expeditions in the badlands, good for team morale.
The last of the famous international playboys