ANITIX87
Topic Author

Safety Issues After Volcano

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:48 am

Hi, all.

I had an interesting question come my way from a colleague, and now I'm curious. I didn't give him an answer as I wouldn't know the slightest about the topic.

My colleague asked if, now that so many planes have been in storage for almost a week, will there suddenly be a bunching of safety issues and even accidents. I said it was unlikely since they care for the machines and they're only in short-term storage, but it did yield the following question, which I couldn't answer.

What does "short-term storage" entail, and what needs to be done before the aircraft can get back in the air? Is there a limit to the term "short-term" or is it just a name given to the procedure done?

Thanks.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

fr8mech

RE: Safety Issues After Volcano

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 am

I seriously doubt any operator put their aircraft in storage. There are costs associated with putting an aircraft in storage and pulling it out.

We routinely have aircraft sit around for 5 or 6 days, depending on geographic location. Depending on the approved maintenance program, the aircraft will require a quick check-out and then a return to service.

The only work that would have to be done, is the things that expire on a calendar day basis.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.

dxing

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Thread starter):
Thanks.

If by storage you mean just sitting on the ramp then with a couple of inspections they should be ready to fly. If this had gone on a little longer and they had not been able to fly then more than likely something in the aircraft operators ops specs would have demanded a little more in the way of prepping. Perhaps a test flight before a live trip.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

HAWK21M

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am

There are check schedules covering calender periods too,apart from Flt hrs.As long as they are followed,the Aircraft is still Airworthy.
regds
MEL.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)