Kun
Topic Author

Boeing AHM?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi, im new here..and quiet fresh in the aviation industry as well.

I've been reading alot regarding Boeing's AHM system. But I want to know if this AHM system incorporates new avionics systems into the aircraft? or is it just the same as ACMS ( Aircraft Condition Monitoring System) which use the DMU and the Centralised Maintenance Computer, and send the relevant data through ACARS? where AHM is just a name of service Boeing provides for the data management through myboeingfleet?

Thanks in advance.

Tristarsteve

RE: Boeing AHM?

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Boeings AHM and the equivalent Airbus Airman systems are very similar.
They take the data from the present on board Maintenance computors, and transfer it to a
ground based computor system that the airline can access.

If you were following the Air France A330 crash recently, you would have seen the results of this as the Fault messages were transmitted by the aircraft in nearly real time to the ground.

Basically, when the crew see a message on the EICAS or ECAM screens, the engineers at base see it as well.
But the systems do much more than this as the data is analysed and presented very logically.

Kun
Topic Author

Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Thank you very much for the reply, so what you're saying basically is, no new avionics components is inplemented to support AHM or Airman. ie. the same old ACMS system architecture is still retained, with just the new ability of being able to trasmit data to ground controllers through ACARS or SATCOM in real time?. Correct me if im wrong.  

Tristarsteve

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Transmitting Maint information is not new. It has been on aircraft for a long time. I remember getting automatic messages from B744s back in the 90s.
What is new (ish) is the handling of the data when it is received on the ground. It is collected and stored and is much more accessible.

[Edited 2010-04-25 08:43:07]

Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 3):
Transmitting Maint information is not new. It has been on aircraft for a long time. I remember getting automatic messages from B744s back in the 90s.

The L-1011 had the in-flight Fault Isolation Reporting Methoid-Fault Isolation (FIRM-FI) system in the early 1970's. While not as automated as the current A/B systems it allowed maintenance to know the problem and have a repair planned, prior to aircraft arrival.

Spelling correction:

[Edited 2010-04-25 11:01:07]

Tristarsteve

Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:05 pm

I remember FIRM-FI, and we used it. Although paper based, it was actually a bit more advanced because it asked the crew to do things and check the effects before reporting.
The problem I see with AHM and Airman, is that the airline maintenance control centre gets the message when the aircraft is flying, and quite often gets started organising spare parts to the arriving station. This has happened to me twice this year, and both times we reset the system on arrival and didn't need them!

tdscanuck

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Quoting Tristarsteve (Reply 5):
The problem I see with AHM and Airman, is that the airline maintenance control centre gets the message when the aircraft is flying, and quite often gets started organising spare parts to the arriving station. This has happened to me twice this year, and both times we reset the system on arrival and didn't need them!

I'm not really following how that's a problem with AHM/Airman...it just presents the information (same as the flight crew radioing to maintenance). What the airline chooses to do with that information is really independent of the notification system.

Tom.