kiwiflyer1

Difference Of Efis Computers In Boeing / Airbus

Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am

Hi

I'm studying the basic set-up of both Boeing EFIS and Airbus EIS

As far as I understand the Boeing gets required data sent to the Symbol Generators where it is processed and then the display unit signal is sent to the EADI / EHSI screens.

The Airbus set-up looks to have three computer types:
- The FWC which I understand handles all the Warnings
- The DMC
- The SDAC

So do the DMC / SDAC both take up the job of Boeings SG?
If so which computer does what? SDAC processes data & DMC drives the display units?

Thanks

Jetlagged

RE: Difference Of Efis Computers In Boeing / Airbus

Mon May 03, 2010 7:06 pm

The Boeing avionics you describe relate to the 767/757 and 737-300/400/500. The EFIS CRTs display video data generated by the symbol generators. 757 and 767 EICAS CRTs are driven by an EICAS computer which also acts as a symbol generator.

The 747-400 uses three EIUs (EFIS/EICAS Interface Unit) to supply the six CRT or LCD Display Units with digital data for processing and display. The terms EADI and EHSI are replaced by PFD and ND, as per Airbus terminology. The DUs generate the graphics displayed from the digital data received. The Boeing EIU is analagous to the Airbus DMC, except it receives data direct from the aircraft systems, not via the data concentrators (as with Airbus).

On the 777 and 767-400 the six DUs are fed with data from three DPCs (Display Processing Computers).

The 737 NG has two DEUs (Display Electronic Units) which distribute data to the six DUs.

Boeing does not have a separate equivalent to the Airbus FWC and SDAC. These computers collect the engines and systems data to be displayed on ECAM (data for red warning data direct to the FWC, amber caution and engine parameter data via the SDAC and FWC). It is then sent to the DMCs. Other aircraft data, such as Nav and autoflight information, goes directly to the DMCs. The DMCs generate the images to be displayed on the various DUs.

The FWC also generates all the aural alerts and controls the overhead panel pushbutton captions.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

cobra27

Mon May 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Which has better, easier to learn & understand FMC? I personally find 737 panel easier, than A320? What about Embraers and Canadairs?

kiwiflyer1

Tue May 04, 2010 8:27 am

Thank you jetlagged
Makes much more sense now

Jetlagged

Thu May 06, 2010 12:44 am

Quoting cobra27 (Reply 2):
Which has better, easier to learn & understand FMC? I personally find 737 panel easier, than A320? What about Embraers and Canadairs?

From my fairly limited experience using Boeing and Airbus FMS CDUs I'd say they were equally user unfriendly. I guess it depends which you are most familiar with. My own preference is for the Airbus CDU but really there is little to choose between them. You enter the same data into both in a slightly different order and on different pages.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.