m11stephen
Topic Author

F/A Height Limit

Thu May 13, 2010 4:04 am

Hey everyone, what is the height limited to being an F/A? I'm 6 feet 3 inches tall so I obviously couldn't work on a turboprop, CRJ, or ERJ, but would I still be able to work for a major airline? Thanks!
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

Fly2HMO

RE: F/A Height Limit

Thu May 13, 2010 7:53 am

Technically there can't be one as that could be deemed as discrimination, as silly as it sounds.

bjorn14

Thu May 13, 2010 11:30 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 1):
Technically there can't be one

True, but in the past the rule was 6' for women and 6'2" for men. But things have changed.

How about minimums? To me that is a safety issue. If an FA can't reach a certain peace of safety equipment then I have a problem. Personally I think 5'6" should be the min.   
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

m11stephen
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Technically there can't be one as that could be deemed as discrimination, as silly as it sounds.

If an F/A is to tall then they could be a hindrance in the event of an emergency. Its not really a discrimination issue just a safety issue.  
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

roseflyer

Thu May 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Yes there is a limit and it is legal to have one. Someone too tall or too short cannot fulfill the job requirements of being a flight attendant so it is not discrimination. In the United States, discrimination on job related functions is permitted if there is a valid reason. Where an airline can't discriminate is age, sex, weight, etc although airlines in other parts of the world do discriminate based on those criteria. In the US those areas have no influence on if a person can perform the functions required.

In the US I think the minimum height is usually about 5'5'' and the max is usually about 6'0''. If you are too short, you cannot close a bin. If you are too tall you cannot navigate through the cabin unimpeded.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Fly2HMO

Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

There's still nothing preventing sue-happy lawyers from doing their thing. Just sayin'

KELPkid

Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I wonder if being too tall as an FA would lead to an early promotion to working larger aircraft  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

pilotpip

Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 6):
I wonder if being too tall as an FA would lead to an early promotion to working larger aircraft

Not really. At most majors the long haul actually goes pretty junior.

And if being tall is a hinderance, the ones that can't fit down the isle shouldn't be working either. At 6'3" you're fine.
DMI

m11stephen
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 4):
Yes there is a limit and it is legal to have one. Someone too tall or too short cannot fulfill the job requirements of being a flight attendant so it is not discrimination. In the United States, discrimination on job related functions is permitted if there is a valid reason. Where an airline can't discriminate is age, sex, weight, etc although airlines in other parts of the world do discriminate based on those criteria. In the US those areas have no influence on if a person can perform the functions required.

The last thing I want to do is endanger the passengers which I probably would if I had to evacuate a CRJ or ERJ.  

I recently attempted to apply for QF and there maximum height was 6 feet! And this was for the LHR base where I would only be working on 747s or A380s. Compass, which flies E170s has a 6 foot 4 inch height limited so I guess it varies from airline to airline. I heard that there is a 6 foot 8 inch tall guy working for CO. I'm not sure if thats true but thats what I heard.

viv

Fri May 14, 2010 8:38 am

The legs of the F/A have to long enough to reach the floor.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2