GST
Topic Author

Sexy Ad Leads To... Step/No Step Areas Strength?

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:34 pm

So this morning the stumble button brought me to the following link that I am assuming is planned as an advert or from an advertising shoot. I paused to enjoy the scene for a moment, before pondering a question.

http://www.airplane-pictures.net/image31537.html

I am presuming the model is standing on an area of the aircraft that is suitable for stepping on, but she seems to be wearing heels of some sort which would exert far greater forces onto the surface beneath them due to the smaller contact surface area. Are the step areas designed with occasional heel wearers in mind? I would guess that in this case it wouldn't as I could only imagine anyone to be up there for maintenance, and heels aren't exactly practical shoes for that work. But in the case of low wing aircraft 2 seats and larger where you need to step onto the wing to board? Is it expected that occasion passengers may be wearing heels?

As a followup, are areas immediately bordering the stepping regions reinforced to a degree to cope with the occasional misstep, or are inspections required when someone treads outside of the area regardless of by how far or how heavily?

FX772LRF

RE: Sexy Ad Leads To... Step/No Step Areas Strength?

Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:51 pm

My guess would be that there's something we aren't seeing, along the lines of pad or something that would distribute the weight over a large area than the heels would.

But I do agree, that there's probably some danger with what she's doing there.

-Noah   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 pm

This plane is made of carbon fiber. Much more resilient than metal for being stepped on.

And the only light GA plane I wouldn't step on would be one that's covered in cloth. Or one that actually says NO STEP (which are few and far between) Besides, the girl is standing over the wing root, which is much more beefed up.

[Edited 2010-06-26 15:04:11]

boeing767mech

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Sorry I have been looking at that picture and had the other mechanics i work with looking at the picture and we still can't seem to find the airplane, so we can seem to find anything wrong with it.

David
Never under-estimate the predictably of stupidty

GST
Topic Author

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 2):
This plane is made of carbon fiber. Much more resilient than metal for being stepped on.

That depends largely on how many plies are there, and in what directions the fibers run. At work I am currently involved in building a wing for the prototype of a new aircraft (the e-Go) predominantly using carbon fiber, with only a single ply (two directional weave) over most of the surface, and in areas without support underneath such as a rib (or in this case also foam) it is damned easy to puncture. A stiletto heel would have no problem going through at least two plies and damage much thicker than that I would guess.

And the only light GA plane I wouldn't step on would be one that's covered in cloth. Or one that actually says NO STEP

I thought there quite a lot with delicate areas, but I must admit to not having spent very long in the vicinity of light aircraft, at least not the powered veriety.

Besides, the girl is standing over the wing root, which is much more beefed up.

This is true, and she may well be specifically putting load on the root areas where you would expect arguably the most structure, at least chordwise.

Quoting boeing767mech (Reply 3):

Its like a Where's Wally (or in your case Waldo) puzzle  

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Sorry I have been looking at that picture and had the other mechanics i work with looking at the picture and we still can't seem to find the airplane, so we can seem to find anything wrong with it.

Huh?

http://tl-ultralight.cz/en/ultralight-aircrafts/tl-3000-sirius/

Quoting GST (Reply 4):

I thought there quite a lot with delicate areas, but I must admit to not having spent very long in the vicinity of light aircraft, at least not the powered veriety.

On riveted planes, its generally safe to walk over the chord-spanning lines of rivets, as that is where the ribs are located.

Starlionblue

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 5):

Huh?

He means his eyes are stuck on the girl.  
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Fly2HMO

Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:37 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 6):
He means his eyes are stuck on the girl.

Oh duh   

Meh, I'd seen that one before, and there's much more racy pictures on that site