gwar69
Topic Author

Airtran Ramp Agent New Hire Probation

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Hello, I recently applied for ramp agent positions at UN, WN, and FL. I got an email today about a group interview/hiring session with AirTran on Monday. I have some plans in September and I will need to be off work for them.

My question is: does AirTran have a new hire probation period? If so, how long? Are you allowed to do shift trades during this period, both picking up shifts and trading them away?

Thanks

Dxer1974

RE: Airtran Ramp Agent New Hire Probation

Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:51 pm

I worked at FL for five years and I do believe there was a probationary period of six months

Are you going to work at an outstation or one of the hubs like ATL? Working at an outstation or as FL calls it "field station" is a bit different when it comes to picking up shifts and trading. It also depends on the local station manager as well.

Good Luck with getting into this fun and ever changing business.
"That's the thing about the 707, it can do everything but read it" Joe Patroni

NWAESC

Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:32 pm

What carrier is UN?

"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

j0rdan

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:32 am

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 2):
What carrier is UN?

UN is the IATA code for the Russian carrier Transaero Airlines

Jordan

gwar69
Topic Author

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:38 am

Quoting nwaesc (Reply 2):
What carrier is UN?

My bad.

On second thought that does look wrong. Of course I mean UA. Not the United Nations.

Oops.

Quoting dxer1974 (Reply 1):
Are you going to work at an outstation or one of the hubs like ATL?

It would be an outstation. I've already worked as a ramp agent in both a hub and an outstation. I prefer hubs, but technically STL isn't a hub for anybody. I've been working in an office recently, and I miss the ramp. I have been struggling to decide whether or not to go back, as it would be a pay cut. But I hate being in an office and love planes.

swa4life

Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:42 am

Be prepared to have no life for the first few weeks, or at least through the training process. I don't know about FL, but at WN you're sort of wisked away for all sorts of training and much of it is out of state. There is no such thing as asking for a day off during that period. Also, I'm not saying don't take a ramp job with AirTran, but if WN calls after the fact, drop everything and go to WN..

cotparampguy

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:06 am

Where do you guys ever see any hiring postings for WN? I never see them online for MCO, FLL or TPA.