steiner
Topic Author

Fuel Dumping....

Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi

I would like to know more about procedures for fuel dumping....

ie.

1. is a special airspace reserved for this around the airports or is fuel dumped where it is most convenient?
2. how large an area is covered?
3. and for how long?
4. minimum requirements? Altitude etc.
5. I guess this is something you clear off with ATC?

I hope someone can help me with this.

TIA
Best regards
Steiner

kingairta

RE: Fuel Dumping....

Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:45 am

In my C130 days if we had to dump fuel we dumped. Most of the fuel I've dumped was durring FCFs. Just enough from each tank to ensure the system worked. I was LM so I'm not sure about altitude restrictions but from listening in on the radio calls I don't ever recall letting ATC know about fuel dumping. It vaporizes pretty fast once it leaves the airplane.

7673mech

Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:04 am

As KingAir stated on Functional Test Flights post heavy maintenance - fuel is dumped to check the system.
Even on commercial aircraft, we never cleared it with ATC. Never slowed down either. I too was the guy checking the windows to make sure the fuel dumped.

In an emergency, a flight would contact ATC and request a block of space so they can dump and return.
That being said, it can be done pretty much anywhere.

tdscanuck

Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:11 am

Quoting steiner (Thread starter):
1. is a special airspace reserved for this around the airports or is fuel dumped where it is most convenient?

If you're dumping fuel, it's either for test (very small quantity), or an emergency. In either case, you do it where you need to, no clearance required.

2. how large an area is covered?

In air, it depends on the volume and speed. Done right, it evaporates before it hits the ground so nothing is covered.

3. and for how long?

Depends on the volume. There's typically no need to dump more than you need to get to landing weight, and that will depend on how much fuel you've got at the time you start. Could be seconds (for a test), could be half an hour or more.

4. minimum requirements? Altitude etc.

In an emergency, you do what you have to. When we test we try to be above 15,000' to make sure it's all evaporated and doesn't hit the ground.

5. I guess this is something you clear off with ATC?

You can, but you don't have to.

Tom.

zeke

Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:52 am

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 3):

You can, but you don't have to.

That depends on the airspace you are in, it is illegal in many countries to drop anything from an aircraft in flight, including fuel. In an emergency you can dump fuel at any time, but the regulations normally say something to the effect to notify ATC as soon as possible.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar