Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Help Me Build My Hangar's Essential Shopping List

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:14 pm

So I apparently have been promoted from aircraft-purchasing-dude to chief pilot/operations manager/scheduling/dispatcher person of sorts for a new charter company. I won't fly but, hey, could be worse.

Anyways, we are about to receive the plane, a Citation Bravo and are in the process of building a hangar, so I was wondering what tools/accessories/must-have miscellaneous goodies would make my life easier in the hangar.

So far the obvious seem to be:

An aircraft tug of sorts
GPU cart
Mop
Broom
Pressure washer
Airband transceiver
Basic tools (we will have our own mechanic, so we got that covered AFAIK)

Any other ideas?

KELPkid

RE: Help Me Build My Hangar's Essential Shopping List

Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Wall planning chart  http://sportys.com/PilotShop/product/8724

If available, a broadband internet connection (with a wireless access point   ) is also a very handy thing to have, if you can get it to your hangar...

I would have said "telephone" about 15 years ago, but nowadays, with cell phones...  

I would add to that, electricity (believe it or not, lots of T-hangars still lack this!). A 20-amp 120V circuit is really really nice to have (it lets your mechanic plug in some heavy duty electrical equipment). The 20 amp outlets are the ones that have the sideways blade (in addition to the two vertical blades).
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

2H4

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:02 pm

My line days remind me that you'll need a floor crawler, rags, and plenty of degreaser. Probably a step ladder, as well.

I'd also start thinking about emergency supplies, like a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.

Other misc items like extension cords, chocks, maybe some extra pitot covers, and a few cases of engine oil.

If it were my hangar, I'd empty several cans of anti-spider/anti-insect chemicals around the perimeter of the hangar to prevent the little bastards from nesting in the aircraft or in any of the hangar supplies.
Intentionally Left Blank

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 pm

I must add we will probably have the "fanciest" hangar in the field, with running water, insulation, cooling, electricity and definitely internet as there will be an office, MY office. So that will be taken care of.   Now if I could only convince them to get me a lovely young assistant I'd be golden 

[Edited 2010-07-19 14:23:48]

larshjort

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 pm

A radio, most days would be prtty boring if there wasn't a radio at work.
For the GPU/tug get a Lektro, we have the smallest variant and it's very nice when towing the aircraft, the only problem we have with the short model is with the PC-12 when pushing. We absolutely no problems when towning Citation Bravo's.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
My line days remind me that you'll need a floor crawler, rags, and plenty of degreaser. Probably a step ladder, as well.

I'd also start thinking about emergency supplies, like a first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, etc.

Some of the most important parts.

A battery charger? I don't know how often you plan to fly?
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

KELPkid

Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Oh yeah,

A must have item:

Coffee Maker!!! 

(preferably of the grind-and-brew variety...)  

Dalmd88

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Aircraft jacks, tough to swing gear or change tires without. Also you will need to supply some tools. Usually calibrated tools are company provided and maintained. Torqure wrenches, mulitmeter, any pressure gauges. You will also need an oxygen servicing cart as well as a nitrogen servicing cart. Usually the company also provides any specialty tooling like wheel sockets and grease guns. Those things will allow you mechanic to do most everyday tasks.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 pm

Thanks to all for the ideas so far!

Quoting Larshjort (Reply 4):
We absolutely no problems when towning Citation Bravo's.

Interesting, I would've thought their smallest model would be too short to reach under the Bravo's nose.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 5):

Coffee Maker!!!

(preferably of the grind-and-brew variety...

Now that's too fancy  
Quoting Larshjort (Reply 4):
A battery charger? I don't know how often you plan to fly?

Pretty often. Figuring over 400 hours a year.

[Edited 2010-07-19 15:40:45]

n901wa

Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:53 pm

I would like to add, a Pneumatic system with a compressor. I would put the compressor outside and plumb the hanger with hard lines. A Fire Locker and Chem Locker to store the stuff that might get you fined by osha and the Fire dept.   You might want a fire system. I would check what the requirements are at the Airport. A good place to check out is Granger . The have quite a few items that can help you out. The have a online site. A fuel sump cart, and a spill response cart.   Hope this can help  

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Might I add this is in Mexico so we can fudge the OSHA stuff a bit  

kl671

Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:49 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Thread starter):
so I was wondering what tools/accessories/must-have miscellaneous goodies would make my life easier in the hangar.

Familiarise yourself with the airframe and engine maintaince manuals, tools catalogues, parts catalogues and consumables lists, if you have not done so yet. These documents will answer all your questions. Contact the airframe and engine manufacturers for their recommended line maintenace tools and spare parts lists.

Or you can ask this forum for advice. I would add a shovel and a rubbish bin to your list so you can dispose of whatever you collected with the broom.

RottenRay

Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 am

Approximately where in Mexico?

If you are off the beaten path, you might consider a full kitchenette, and a shower.

kl671

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:03 am

Quoting rottenray (Reply 11):
If you are off the beaten path, you might consider a full kitchenette, and a shower.
Any other ideas?

Hire Rottenray as your housekeeper . He is apparently more into real estate than operating an aircraft.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 9):
Might I add this is in Mexico so we can fudge the OSHA stuff a bit

I am sure that OSHA, the FAA and your employers will never find out about your fudging. Good luck with that one.

larshjort

Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:40 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 7):
nteresting, I would've thought their smallest model would be too short to reach under the Bravo's nose.

Were talking a 550B Bravo right? I can send some pictures in a week or two.

/Lars
139, 306, 319, 320, 321, 332, 34A, AN2, AT4, AT5, AT7, 733, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 146, AR1, BH2, CN1, CR2, DH1, DH3, DH4,

flybaurlax

Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:46 am

How about a rug? It'll tie the room together
Boilerup! Go Purdue!

larshjort

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:00 am

Interesting, I would've thought their smallest model would be too short to reach under the Bravo's nose.

Just checked, it's a AP8600 we have.
http://www.lektro.com/docs/8600.pdf

GST

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:10 am

A fridge!

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
fire extinguisher

Several

Beat me to it, working means caffeine.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Approximately where in Mexico?

29-05-48.000N / 111-02-56.000W  

There will be some sort of waiting area for clients/pax so carpet and leather recliners might be on order 
Quoting Larshjort (Reply 13):
Were talking a 550B Bravo right? I can send some pictures in a week or two.

Yup.

Quoting kl671 (Reply 12):
I am sure that OSHA, the FAA and your employers will never find out about your fudging. Good luck with that one.

lowrider

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Coffee Maker!!!

This is a safety of flight issue.

Beyond what is already mentioned I would ad extention cords and a portable light. Lockable closets to store anything with any value in. A supply of commonly comsumed fluids and lubricants. A spare wheel and brake set.
Proud OOTSK member

MD11Engineer

Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Quoting n901wa (Reply 8):
I would like to add, a Pneumatic system with a compressor. I would put the compressor outside and plumb the hanger with hard lines

A compressor is essential. Get a really one, 400 to 500 liters/ minute suction at 10 atmospheres minimum and a big storages tank. Smaller ones will give up when having to power e.g. a die grinder. Compressors this size usually require 3 phase power (AFAIK 220V threphase in your part of the world).
A wheelchange jack.
A proper and strong workbench with a strong vise. Electrical lighting to illuminate dark areas inside and below the aircraft for work (it sucks having to work with a flashlight jammed under the arm).
Stepladders in various sizes.
Proper lockers for the tools (they are not cheap and tend to grow legs).
A proper maintenance software for keeping track of checks etc, which also allows spare parts stores handling (batch numbers, expiry dates etc.).
A PC with a printer for the mechanic, for reading the manuals (which I assume, will come on CD or DVD for your aircraft type. It is easier to work using a paper hardcopy, which you can throw away after the job is finished, since it will become dirty anyway).
A proper spare parts store area with shelves and possibly a refrigerator.
Shelves for disassembled aircraft parts.
Some old carpets as cover e.g. for wings when working on them, to prevent scratches and to put on the floor if you have to leave larger aircraft parts (e.g. a cowling) on the floor. Never leave aircraft parts on bare concrete, it will cause corrosion on aluminium.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

KELPkid

Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Now that's too fancy

Well, since it's down in México, maybe you could hire a young cute barista who makes a mean cup of café con leche   

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 19):
Jan

Great list.

However, would we really need such a large compressor? Not planning on doing any major fabricating, painting or much else other than putting air in the tires.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 20):

Well, since it's down in México, maybe you could hire a young cute barista who makes a mean cup of café con leche

Actually, since the parent company is basically the Mexican version of Starbucks, then yeah there definitely won't be a shortage of coffee, or cute baristas 

larshjort

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 21):
However, would we really need such a large compressor? Not planning on doing any major fabricating, painting or much else other than putting air in the tires.

A nitrogen cart for the tires.

/Lars

RottenRay

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:00 am

Quoting kl671 (Reply 12):
Hire Rottenray as your housekeeper . He is apparently more into real estate than operating an aircraft.

WIN!

I do know more about facilities than I do aircraft maintenance equipment. I also know people in general perform much better when they are reasonably comfortable.

Change the job title to "Air Butler" and I'll sign on for a 3-month tour...

RR

airportugal310

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:18 am

Hey HMO..

What is the big industry down that way? Our company does send the occasional jet down there so I am curious.

Thanks
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:29 am

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 24):
What is the big industry down that way? Our company does send the occasional jet down there so I am curious.

One of Ford's largest plants is here. I know they send many cargo planes down here regularly. There's a huge manufacturing industry here, mostly electronics, automotive, clothing, machinery, and appliances. The first two being the largest. Also it's an Ameriflight focus city, if you can call it that, for UPS's stuff.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:37 am

Back on topic, it just occurred to me, and surprised nobody has mentioned it, how would we go by servicing the potty? Is there anything special we would need? The FOM is pretty vague on this.

WrenchBender

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:20 am

Basic requirements-
Safety first:
Fire extinguishers several (3-4) 15Lb Dry Chem, several (3-4) Pressurized water/foam.
Spill response kit
First aid kit
Eye wash station and emergency shower
Also response plans for all of the above, including an evacuation plan & phone list with numbers for local fire, med, spill response etc. You will probaby find this is mandatory for all airport tenants.
General clean up stuff, mops, brooms, bucket, shovel, drip trays for the A/C.

Maintenance
Jan has a great list from a maint perspective.
Jacks, ladders, maintenance stands etc are a must.
A Tool Crib/Maint office that is lockable with storage area for spares would be useful.
How indepth is the maint going to be, even just 1st line will require a large amount of specialized equipment and tools.

Servicing
Check the Tronair catalogue for servicng equipment, they have some great stuff including a Toilet Servicing cart and Oil/Hyd servicing carts. They also provide an suggested equipment/tool list at this link input your A/C type http://www.tronair.com/tool-and-equipment-list/Cessna/42.aspx
A small vehicle with a hitch would be useful for moving servicing/baggage carts and/or towing with the appropriate tow bar.

Housekeeping
Separate your crew/employee rest area away from your Pax lounge, you will need both. Crew rest area will need basic fridge, coffee pot, microwave, kettle etc. table chairs etc.
Do you have sanitary facilities? Again separate them if possible. Will you have onsite cleaners or are you doing it? Cleaning supplies for the washrooms etc same for you rest areas.

Wrenchbender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

KELPkid

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 26):
Back on topic, it just occurred to me, and surprised nobody has mentioned it, how would we go by servicing the potty? Is there anything special we would need? The FOM is pretty vague on this.

Something tells me that, in a Bravo, you want to discourage the use of the lav as much as possible...here in the 'states, the servicing of lavs is best left to the FBO (who usually has a "honey pot" that they can tow out to your bird, even in the hangar...).

RaginMav

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 26):

I would imagine the Bravo's lav is the 'bucket' type you must remove from the aircraft to empty? We have a half-dozen here in our hangar, and just dump it in the toilet. No lav serivce cart necessary. I would NOT recommend the 'blue juice' packets/tabs. Get the bulk powder, so you can mix your lav juice to your desired strength. You will need rubber gloves, disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer for the Lav, and bleach to clean the bucket.

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 27):
Separate your crew/employee rest area away from your Pax lounge, you will need both. Crew rest area will need basic fridge, coffee pot, microwave, kettle etc. table chairs etc.

Yes! If at all possible the crew should have a respectable area to themselves for flight planning and resting. But I'm sure you knew that already...

Other thoughts:

-Does the Bravo need anti-ice additive for the fuel? You may want a case on the shelf in case you go somewhere that doesn't sell Prist. This happens in Mexico.
-If you are considering a Weather service, WSI's online service is ~$75/month, versus $200+ for their satellite service. Of course, fltplan.com is free.
-We have a 'window unit' air conditioner on a cart, with a flexible duct attached for delivery of cold air into the aircraft/hell hole. No maintenance facility (in Mexico!) should be without.
-Consider getting an Ice maker, unless you think an automatic unit in the fridge will make enough daily to stock the aircraft.
-A portable, battery powered vacuum cleaner (Dewalt makes some) is an absolute must for quick and easy cleanup after flights. Our Dewalt unit can also be plugged in, for those times you have to vacuum up dog hair from every square inch of the interior.
-Oxygen servicing equipment.

Another observation: Do you have a plan to open the Hangar Door if the electricity fails? Believe it or not, this happens at our hangar a couple times a year. Nothing is more frustrating than an airworthy aircraft trapped behind an immovable. Unfortunately, the door may require three-phase power, making the purchase of a backup generator prohibitively expensive.

Quoting lowrider (Reply 18):
Coffee Maker!!!

This is a safety of flight issue.

Coffee is third on my list of things I must have to fly safely, right behind Airspeed and Jet Fuel. This is non-negotiable.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks to all for the excellent suggestions so far!

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 28):

Something tells me that, in a Bravo, you want to discourage the use of the lav as much as possible.

Indeed. We want to make it clear to pax that it is for emergency purposes only.

Quoting RaginMav (Reply 29):

I would imagine the Bravo's lav is the 'bucket' type you must remove from the aircraft to empty?

I believe it is. It has a removable drawer on the bottom where the whole thing comes out IIRC.

And yet another thing that just occurred to me: Scheduling. We are having a really tough time figuring out schedules to best utilize the aircraft.

I'm thinking about signing up for this http://www.flightschedulepro.com/

And try it out and see how it works for us.

But does anyone have any suggestions on any good scheduling programs?

airportugal310

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:03 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 30):
But does anyone have any suggestions on any good scheduling programs?

Just to name a few:

FOS (for one aircraft is probably overkill)
BART (i think this is very popular)
SchedAero
Airplane Manager
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

KELPkid

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Another consumable you might want to have on hand (in copious quantities): sic-sac's. There will be days where even the strongest of stomachs will need to give the heave-ho...   

RaginMav

Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 31):
FOS (for one aircraft is probably overkill)

Way overkill for one aircraft. We use this for a fleet of ~25. I think initial buy-in costs are in the tens of thousands...

That said, the software is top-notch, IMO.

bjorn14

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Definitely a closed lid can for the oily rags.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

bjorn14

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Also a washing machine and dryer for the oily rags or hire a laundry service.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Any other ideas?

Contact Cessna, I am sure they have a Maintainability and Reliability department that will provide all the information you need to establish your maintenance program.

They should also, for a fee visit your facilities and do a maintenance audit. After the audit they will provide you with a written report including recommendations for improvement.

sccutler

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 am

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 35):
Also a washing machine and dryer for the oily rags or hire a laundry service.

Use a service!

Fire hazard otherwise.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

n901wa

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi Fly2HMO, I hope the FAA downgrade of Mexico's Air-Safety rating is going to mess with your Company.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:04 am

Quoting n901wa (Reply 38):
Hi Fly2HMO, I hope the FAA downgrade of Mexico's Air-Safety rating is going to mess with your Company.

I hope there's a typo somewhere in there   

n901wa

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 39):

Oops, Sorry. There's a Huge Typo. I hope its NOT going to mess with your plans. That's what happens when you work 22 horus straight. I know it's messing with our flights, and its a mess. We are also worried because some of our checks are in Mexico and wonder how that will affect us.

[Edited 2010-08-01 05:13:31]

larshjort

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:34 pm

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/Larshjort/Lektro8600_550B_02.jpg
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss211/Larshjort/Lektro8600_550B_01.jpg

Here is the promised pictures of a Lektro 8600 and a Citation 550B Bravo

/Lars

aogdesk

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Deer antlers on the wall. Don't ask why, its just a must-have. Trust me.

Web

Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:54 pm

If you want to keep the plane in any sort of clean state, you'll need cleaning supplies. I've detailed more Bravos than I care to count, and here's what I used: wipes, acrylic window/windscreen cleaner, ink stain remover, degreaser, drywax, boot wax (deice boots, that is), a vacuum cleaner (a must-have), and gloves, just to get started. You could spend a lot of money on detailing and cleaning supplies, but that should be enough for 97% of the time.

Fly2HMO
Topic Author

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Well I guess an update is in order: Plane is at its home, currently "crashing" with two other hangar-mates and will probably remain so for a while since the damned airport administration is taking their sweet ass time in approving our hangars construction. I swear the administration here must be run by former bureaucrats.   

Quoting n901wa (Reply 40):

Oops, Sorry. There's a Huge Typo. I hope its NOT going to mess with your plans.

I figured. No offense taken  
Quoting Larshjort (Reply 41):
Here is the promised pictures of a Lektro 8600 and a Citation 550B Bravo

Sweet. That really is plenty of clearance.

Quoting aogdesk (Reply 42):
Deer antlers on the wall. Don't ask why, its just a must-have. Trust me.

b6a322

Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:09 am

One thing I might suggest, although pretty minor, is a snake light. They sell them at Home Depot and Lowe's, probably other hardware stores too. Its basically a flashlight on a long flexible handle which you can wrap around something to be able to work with both hands without holding a light.

Good luck in your new position!
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)