GentFromAlaska
Topic Author

ATC Ops And Scheduled Passenger Service

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I suspect I'm over thinking myself. Still I wanted toss out for discussion. Is a domestic corporate regional airport who wishes to woo regular scheduled regional jet airline service required to have a staffed ATC tower? The main runway is roughly 6000 feet long.

Corporate jets fly in and out all day long, I believe on their own recognizance or flight visual rules. Possibly ATC or radio ops is provided from off-site flight service station or in another building on airport grounds, I'm not really sure.

Thanks In Advance
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

Fly2HMO

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Thread starter):
Is a domestic corporate regional airport who wishes to woo regular scheduled regional jet airline service required to have a staffed ATC tower?

Nope. There are many part 121 carriers flying into uncontrolled airports. Durango, CO is one that comes to mind.

Quoting GentFromAlaska (Thread starter):
Possibly ATC or radio ops is provided from off-site flight service station or in another building on airport grounds, I'm not really sure.

Not necessarily. Once they have the airport in sight they advise Center and switch over to the Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF), which is used in uncontrolled airports or whenever there's a non-operating tower. It's basically an open frequency where you state who you are, what you're doing, where you're going etc just so everybody else in the area knows. The pilots become responsible for separation at that point. You don't need clearance to land or take-off in such airports. However you would need clearance from center or approach control if you're doing an approach.

[Edited 2010-07-26 12:09:19]

dispatchguy

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:44 am

Correct

For scheduled ops into a non-tower airport, per the airline opspecs (C080), the following is required:

A source of traffic advisories (CTAF fits the bill)
An approved source of weather
An instrument approach (if one is available)
Facilities and services necessary to conduct IFR operations safely are available and operational at the time of the particular operation.

As long as they have all of that, they are good to go...
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

Goldenshield

Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:51 am

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 2):
A source of traffic advisories (CTAF fits the bill)
An approved source of weather
An instrument approach (if one is available)
Facilities and services necessary to conduct IFR operations safely are available and operational at the time of the particular operation.

1) Most every airport (except, say, private dirt strips) is assigned a CTAF frequency anyhow, so check

2) Even if the airport does not have an ASOS/AWOS, the airline itself can do it. Mine does at a few locations

3) GPS? Check! (Of course, a start-up might not have this initially and would have to rely on a VOR approach, which would invalidate a GPS-only airport)

4) Lights aren't required if it's daylight only, but runway markings are.  

Also, don't forget that the airport has to be Part 139 certified!
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.