DocLightning
Topic Author

WN Fleet Utilization

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Last night, I flew into OAK at about 10PM local time and there were 6-8 WN birds all parked over on the apron waiting for their morning flights.

Now, this makes absolutely no sense to me. An operation like WN thrives on low CASM. And there were a bunch of planes all sitting there on the ground for the night.

Why doesn't WN fly red-eyes or do SOMETHING with those planes?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

FRNT787

RE: WN Fleet Utilization

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:14 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Thread starter):

I would think thats common at a lot of West Coast airports for a lot of airlines. Everyone parks planes over night at SNA just before the night curfew, to depart right at 7am to get passengers to the East coast before the evening.
"We have a right to fail, because failure makes us grow" --Glenn Beck

barney captain

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 pm

They are doing something - maintenance. That's when a big chunk of mx is performed. Additionally, red eyes are primarily the product of a more hub and spoke operation - getting people from the West Coast to the East for connections.
Southeast Of Disorder

DocLightning
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:17 am

Quoting Barney Captain (Reply 2):

They are doing something - maintenance. That's when a big chunk of mx is performed.

A 737 needs 6-8 hours of maintenance every day?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

WNCrew

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:15 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 3):
Quoting Barney Captain (Reply 2):

They are doing something - maintenance. That's when a big chunk of mx is performed.

A 737 needs 6-8 hours of maintenance every day?

Well, no, I'm sure they don't all need 6-8hrs of MX.... but remember, this is the only real downtime that the aircraft receive in 24hrs.

Throughout the day small MX issues are documented (cabin appearance, or things that can be MEL'd)... and then at night MX has certain things they check... and then they tend to the issues that have gathered during the day. Also the cabins are thoroughly cleaned at night (remember, during the day it's JUST the FA's who clean the cabin and we don't have time to be thorough.) At night, carpets are vacuumed, galleys, lavs, and seats are cleaned, seatbacks cleaned out, magazines changed/added etc etc etc. If they discover something broken they can notify MX and then that's another thing they'll have to do. **someone else from WN can correct me if this is wrong**

Naturally this doesn't occur at ALL stations, some of our stations aren't MX stations so throughout the day sometimes aircraft are rerouted to a MX station for their overnight down-time to have these issues addressed. Cleaning does occur at all stations, though in many stations it's performed by a contracted company. Sometimes in the mornings when I'm coming to work at 0500 or 0600 I'll see the cleaning crew just stepping off the aircraft.

As you can see, a lot goes on a night, and so, the aircraft all get their turn for some TLC. I'm sure if WN wanted to (or thought it was viable) there's no doubt we could eek out some planes to fly red-eyes..... but as of now it's not something they are interested in.... so the planes sit and get their much-needed attention after a looong day of flying.

[Edited 2010-08-17 09:26:29]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

QANTAS747-438

Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:22 am

Last night, I flew into OAK at about 10PM local time and there were 6-8 WN birds all parked over on the apron waiting for their morning flights.

Don't forget that OAK is one of our maintenence bases. Very often, planes are rerouted from their daily flights in order to ensure that they terminate in a MX base (such as PHX, LAS, HOU, DAL, MDW, BWI, and MCO). Those MX bases can do work that the other cities with MX cannot do. Also at night, at the larger cities, the interiors get a much needed deep clean where the carpet is vaccuumed, lavs are washed, etc. Since our planes are going from 6am-11pm, this is indeed the only chance that many planes will have for MX or to be cleaned.

Lastly, no red-eyes..... yet.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

WNCrew

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:20 am

LOL.... are my posts invisible?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

seven3seven

Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:01 am

By 11pm there are probably at least 15 birds in OAK.

And we still have the highest utilization rate for any US domestic airliner I'm sure.

Thread done.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company