Luftfahrer
Topic Author

Procedure Chart For Flights Across The Andes

Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Hi all,

I saw this in a video about Air Canada and wondered if a replica of this chart is available somewhere on the internet (it doesn't need to be the exact same one). It depicts procedures for flights across the Andes in case of a depressurization, because naturally, the aircraft, when it is flying overhead the mountains, can't just descend to an altitude where no oxygen is required. Thanks!

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9269/vlcsnap2010091218h50m33.png
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

dispatchguy

RE: Procedure Chart For Flights Across The Andes

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Simple answer is NO.

Those charts are proprietary to the carrier involved, and are very costly to develop.
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

steiner

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:21 pm

But wouldn't it be possible to gather the information from official documents from the Civil Airspace Administrations of the countries involved? Or are the procedures universal, so ICAO might have some documentation on the issue?

Eventhough the map is proprietary the information is not secret, I guess?

Best regards
Steiner

PGNCS

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Quoting steiner (Reply 2):
But wouldn't it be possible to gather the information from official documents from the Civil Airspace Administrations of the countries involved? Or are the procedures universal, so ICAO might have some documentation on the issue?

Eventhough the map is proprietary the information is not secret, I guess?

Best regards
Steiner

The terrain charts, airways, and locations of navaids and fixes are not proprietary, but the individual tailored charts and procedures are specific to the airline and normally the equipment being flown.

Luftfahrer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Good to know.

I thought the chart was made by Jeppesen or some other company (it probably is by the way it looks) for airlines with flights to deep South America using "standard routes" across the Andes (are there this many anyway?). I might try to gather the information from the video as the actual quality is better there... for what it's worth.

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 1):
Those charts are proprietary to the carrier involved, and are very costly to develop.

I see you work as a dispatcher, does your company fly to destinations where the Andes have to be crossed and uses a custom-made one as well? Just curious. Thanks.

[Edited 2010-09-15 12:16:46]
'He resembled a pilot, which to a seaman is trustworthiness personified.' Joseph Conrad

PGNCS

Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:30 pm

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 4):
I thought the chart was made by Jeppesen or some other company (it probably is by the way it looks) for airlines with flights to deep South America using "standard routes" across the Andes (are there this many anyway?). I might try to gather the information from the video as the actual quality is better there... for what it's worth.

Ours are printed by Jeppesen, but are custom tailored by and for our airline.

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 1):

I see you work as a dispatcher, does your company fly to destinations where the Andes have to be crossed and uses a custom-made one as well? Just curious. Thanks.

I'm not a dispatcher, but I work for a company that uses these and I have personally used them many times. Ours are custom made and printed by Jepp and come in our normal revisions.

JRadier

Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Are these the same as the drift down charts that are used for (for example) the Himalaya or are they something different? (I'm obviously not counting about the differences in terrain, but the type of maps)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Luftfahrer
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:09 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 5):
custom tailored by and for our airline.

I guess that is the keyword here, and there is hardly a way to get that kind of procedure chart as an outsider then.

Well, my only hope is that video technology will allow me to at least remotely figure out the escape routes in case of a depressurization.

PS: For those who wondered why I ask that kind of question, it's because I do flight simming (with failures et al.) and when I fly down to SCL or so I want to be prepared for the unexpected.

[Edited 2010-09-15 14:09:34]

ZBBbird

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:48 am

I have this video as well and if I remember right they do show a few detailed shots of that chart and explain a few of the procedures for the section they are flying. Should be able to get some info from there.

dispatchguy

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:37 am

We dont currently fly to that part of the world, but we have the terrain charts (ONCs and TPCs) so that if we were to start flying down there, we can design our own escape route charts, then have Jepp pretty them up for us. I went thru a Boeing Performance Engineering class last month in SEA, and doing this was one of the things we learned how to do.

If I remember correctly, for this particular area, its basically once your past this DME, and you lose pressurization, you continue. If you havent past that DME, you turn back with an intermediate level off so as to not embed your airplane against the mountain...
Nobody screws you better than an airline job!

Fly2HMO

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:44 am

Indeed these are proprietary, every airline has their own procedures and usually Jeppesen builds/charts them for the airline.

The map is the simplest part, usually along with the map there's like 5 pages worth of procedures and what not.

Luftfahrer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 pm

Quoting ZBBbird (Reply 8):

Now that you say it, I remember the FO saying something like "[...] routes that are always used by Air Canada."

Quoting dispatchguy (Reply 9):
If I remember correctly, for this particular area, its basically once your past this DME, and you lose pressurization, you continue. If you havent past that DME, you turn back with an intermediate level off so as to not embed your airplane against the mountain...

Yes, they explain the map inflight. I'll have to watch it again, I guess.

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 10):
The map is the simplest part, usually along with the map there's like 5 pages worth of procedures and what not.

Unfortunately they don't show this, probably the vast majority of the viewers is not too concerned about what exactly to do in case of a depressurization above the Andes. However, the map itself looks pretty straightforward.