26point2
Topic Author

ATISs Or Atii?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Calling all cunning linguists.

One is "radius" and two are "radii".

Is one "ATIS" and two "ATII"? Or is it "ATIi" or "ATISs"?

Never occurred to me before but all this "Line Up and Wait" discussion got me thinking.

akiss20

RE: ATISs Or Atii?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:23 pm

Afaik because ATIS is actually an acronym it has to be ATISes as changing the core would change the acronym itself....ATIS is not a word.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

Stealthz

Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 pm

My linguistic opinion is that it is neither and should remain ATIS
ATIS is an acronym for Automatic Terminal Information Service, multiple of that would be Automatic Terminal Information ServiceS and hence the acronym would remain ATIS

Cheers
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

FlyASAGuy2005

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 am

Quoting stealthz (Reply 2):
My linguistic opinion is that it is neither and should remain ATIS
ATIS is an acronym for Automatic Terminal Information Service, multiple of that would be Automatic Terminal Information ServiceS and hence the acronym would remain ATIS

Cheers

Bingo! Will still be the same.
What gets measured gets done.

AustrianZRH

Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:08 pm

Quoting 26point2 (Thread starter):
One is "radius" and two are "radii".

This specific plural form comes from Latin. The declination of a Latin noun in the so-called o-declination are:

singular:
nominative: radius
genitive: radii
dative: radio
accusative: radium
vocative: radie
ablative: radio

plural:
nominative: radii
genitive: radiorum
dative: radiis
accusative: radios
vocative: radii
ablative: radiis

Thus, you can see that simply the original Latin plural form was adopted.

FlyASAGuy2005 has of course explained everything about ATIS.

BTW, a special case you often see here on the forums is the plural form of Airbus. If that was a nominative singular the plural would be Airbi (rather than Airbii, what's also often seen). However, the etymology here is a bit different. "Airbus" is a composite from air and bus. The word bus is deducted from the Latin word "omnibus", the dative plural of omnes, which means "for all", as it's a mode of transportation open to all. Therefore, the plural form would be - plain and easy - Airbuses  .
WARNING! The post above should be taken with a grain of salt! Furthermore, it may be slightly biased towards A.