Soxfan
Topic Author

Question On New York Approach Routes

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 am

Hi All,

I have seen commercial planes (regional and mainline) descending relatively low in New York City along the following locations:

-Flying parallel over Broadway on the Upper West Side (by Columbia University)

-Flying parallel over Seventh Avenue in Brooklyn

Does anyone know what approach routes these are, and into which NY or NJ airports these planes are flying?

Thanks,

Soxfan  
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

BigSaabowski

RE: Question On New York Approach Routes

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:52 am

Both are LGA arrival routes.

Quoting Soxfan (Thread starter):

-Flying parallel over Broadway on the Upper West Side (by Columbia University)

Either right downwind for 22, or river visual (or ILS) for 13.

Straight in runway 4, or expressway visual 31.

[Edited 2010-11-11 18:53:51]

Mir

Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 am

Quoting BigSaabowski (Reply 1):

Straight in runway 4, or expressway visual 31.

Also could be for 22 (when departing on 31) or the localizer approach to 31.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

pilotpip

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am

Most of the traffic you're seeing, as stated, is going to LGA. They like to use (and I like to fly) the Expressway visual to 31 and as the winds shift you'll see the aircraft flying up the Hudson for a visual approach to 22. The Expressway visual is particularly common. As you fly up the East River, you fly over two tanks, then follow the Long Island Expressway. I follow that to just past Citi Field, swing around the US Open Stadium and the big globe at the World's Fair site pointing towards a Home Depot and finally rolling out on about a 1/2 mile final.

A visual to 22 is usually just vectors to final. It works well for me because I get a great view of Manhattan and Central Park since it's on my side of the aircraft  
DMI

Soxfan
Topic Author

Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:19 am

I thought the route over Broadway was for LGA but had no idea about the one over Brooklyn. Thanks very much for your help!  
Pilot: "Request push, which way should we face?" JFK Ground: "You better face the front, sir, or you'll scare the pax!"

modesto2

Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 am

The approach over the Hudson sounds like the arrivals I've done to LGA's runway 22. When I flew for ExpressJet from CLE, we'd using the Milton STAR arriving from the east. That procedure drops us off near the Statue of Liberty (southern tip of Manhattan). New York Approach then vectors us north along the Hudson and turns us east over the Bronx for the right base to runway 22. One of my favorite approaches!

pilotpip

Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:01 pm

Quoting Soxfan (Reply 4):
I thought the route over Broadway was for LGA but had no idea about the one over Brooklyn. Thanks very much for your help!

If Brooklyn is the one that is just to the East of Manhattan, then yes we do. Kind of a tight space because JFK is only ~5 miles away.
DMI