smartt1982
Topic Author

VOR/TACAN And Runway Lights Questions

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:07 pm

I recently saw this NOTAM

LIBR BRINDISI VORTAC 'BRD' FREQ 113.20MHZ CH79X AVBL AS FLW:
1.VOR OPERATIVE 2.TACAN DME PART OPR, AZIMUTH PART OUT OF SER.
FLIGHT LEVEL FROM SFC TO UNL
VALID FROM 1328 22-NOV-2010 TO 1230 30-NOV-2010 EST: (M5164/10)

My question is, what exactly do they mean when they say that the VOR is operative and the TACAN DME is also but azimuth part is not. To a civilian aircraft should it work as normal and only military aircraft would be affected. Are military aircraft not be able to pick up the VOR part and have to have a separate part of the TACAN for radial finding? Would the VOR and TACAN share the same DME?

Also in relation to abbreviations on JEPP approach plates I came across this abbreviation on approach light systems, RCLM and RL, any ideas?

Many Thanks
Steve

Mir

RE: VOR/TACAN And Runway Lights Questions

Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Quoting smartt1982 (Thread starter):
what exactly do they mean when they say that the VOR is operative and the TACAN DME is also but azimuth part is not.

They mean that aircraft that rely on TACAN for azimuth information (as opposed to the VOR) will not be able to get that information, and thus can't use that TACAN for navigation.

Are military aircraft not be able to pick up the VOR part and have to have a separate part of the TACAN for radial finding?

I'd think most military aircraft do have VOR equipment, so the only effect that this would have on them is that they have to use that equipment instead of their TACAN equipment. Sort of like when a VOR is out of service, but you can still navigate to it by GPS.

Would the VOR and TACAN share the same DME?

That's one way of looking at it. Another way is to say that the VOR has no DME, and that it all comes off the TACAN. Since the VOR and TACAN are co-located in this case (as they are with any VORTAC), it amounts to the same thing.

RCLM

Runway CenterLine Markings

RL

Runway Lights (meaning the edge lights)

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Vmcavmcg

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:15 pm

As MIR stated the VOR has no DME associated with it. It is then called a VORTAC. However a VOR just provides bearing and no distance, while a VORTAC provides both. Most tactical military aircraft only have TACAN installed.

The other question about the runway lights is also correct. Runway lights and Runway Centerline Marking
If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane!

mmedford

Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:20 pm

The TACAN contains the DME, if you disable the TACAN part of it...it's now a VOR/DME-R.
ILS = It'll Land Somewhere

Mir

Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:39 pm

Quoting Vmcavmcg (Reply 2):
Most tactical military aircraft only have TACAN installed.

Interesting. So if you've got a VOR/DME, the average tactical aircraft couldn't find it without the use of some sort of RNAV system?

Quoting mmedford (Reply 3):
a VOR/DME-R.

Ok, you got me. What's the R for?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

zeke

Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:45 pm

My question is, what exactly do they mean when they say that the VOR is operative and the TACAN DME is also but azimuth part is not.

The VOR has the azimuth transmitted in the VHF band the TACAN transmits azimuth on the UHF band. Both the DME and TACAN use the same UHF bands for distance information (it is like a radar pulse).

To a civilian aircraft should it work as normal and only military aircraft would be affected.

Correct

Are military aircraft not be able to pick up the VOR part and have to have a separate part of the TACAN for radial finding?

Depends on the aircraft, many would have that capability as they can also receive an ILS which is also VHF.

They can.

Also in relation to abbreviations on JEPP approach plates I came across this abbreviation on approach light systems, RCLM and RL, any ideas?

RCLM are the light buried into the runway centreline that are white at the start of the runway, alternate red/white as you approach the far end, and then a fully red for the last portion. Runway edge lighting (RL) are normally all white.

Quoting mmedford (Reply 3):
The TACAN contains the DME, if you disable the TACAN part of it...it's now a VOR/DME-R.

It is still a VORTAC with an unserviceable component, however it has the same capability as a collocated VOR/DME.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar