Web500sjc

Stealer Over Aircraft Doors

Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 am

When Iook at a jet aircraft door there is always a small metal stark above it, that on doors in the front goes from down to up- and then as you move bak on the airplane the strake transitions to a up to down strake. What are these for?
Boiler Up!

KELPkid

RE: Stealer Over Aircraft Doors

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:06 am

You talking about the drip strip? (Same function as the one on a car...prevent rain from pouring down the fuselage and into the open door below)/
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

DocLightning

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:07 am

I think they're gutters meant to keep water from dripping into the doorway when it's raining. The slanted mounting represents 1) a need that one end be lower than the other for drainage and 2) the local airflow, which is not always parallel to the direction of flight.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

DocLightning

Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:14 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 1):
You talking about the drip strip? (Same function as the one on a car...prevent rain from pouring down the fuselage and into the open door below)/

I was once on a DC-10 where the drip strip on the #2R door was apparently absent. I guess they forgot and so they opened it up to cater the aircraft on a rainy stopover and water came just deluging in. I remember they couldn't get the door closed fast enough. They had to cater the plane from another door. I was about 12 or 13 at the time and I remember thinking it was pretty funny. There was no serious damage, but a tiny little cleaner lady came running aboard in a fit of tiny little cleaner lady-ness and mopped up the mess. Which was good, because those were our seats.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan