CplKlinger
Topic Author

Fuselage Mounted Engines And FOD Related Damage

Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:46 am

What, if any, is the FOD damage possibility that faces a fuselage mounted engine (e.g. MD-88, Lear 45, CRJ series) in terms of operating on a less than optimal runway surface? I know that on 737 Classics, there were kits available specifically for dealing with this kind of situation, but would something of the same type need to be developed to operate something like an MD-88 on an unimproved surface, baring any other modifications that would have to occur to the airframe? I would think that with the engines being higher on the fuselage, the risks of FOD damage from items like gravel would be much less. The only problem that seems to spring to mind is the placement of the wheels on fuselage-engined aircraft tend to be down in front of the engines and that they could kick up some sort of debris.

Scooter01

RE: Fuselage Mounted Engines And FOD Related Damage

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:27 am

As far as I can remember, the DC-9 and its "relatives" had a deflector mounted on the nose-gear.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Carter
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

Scooter01   
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

Dalmd88

Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:35 am

MD80s have always had a FOD issue with ice coming off the wing. There have been a few different solutions. One is to heat a section on the top of the wing with an element that is bonded to the wing. I think it was developed in Sweden. DL installed this system about 10 years ago.

zanl188

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 1):
As far as I can remember, the DC-9 and its "relatives" had a deflector mounted on the nose-gear.

The 727 had a chine on the nose gear tires to keep water spray out of the engines. Also the strake in your 2nd pic is used to control airflow into the engine....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

swiftski

Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:51 am

A lot of operators in Australia use a "Gravel Kit" for the Citation for the same reasons.