highflyer9790
Topic Author

Initial Operating Experience (IOE) Question

Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 am

question about most airline IOEs for new hires:

After training is complete, the new FO goes through the IOE in the airplane as i understand it for a certain amount of time. since (as i think it works) most new hires bid reserve schedules, how can this guarantee they will get a line check captain on the trip? or does a new hire line bid just for IOE to ensure they get a check captain and te after that move to reserve?

PS- while talking about reserve, i hear the pilot with the LEAST seniority is called first... true? if so interesting concept.

Thanks,
Highflyer

Okie

RE: Initial Operating Experience (IOE) Question

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:10 am

Quoting highflyer9790 (Thread starter):
PS- while talking about reserve, i hear the pilot with the LEAST seniority is called first... true? if so interesting concept.

Usually it is you can volunteer from the top down, then forced from the bottom up if there are not enough volunteers.
I hope that is clear.

Okie

lowrider

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:16 am

After training is complete, the new FO goes through the IOE in the airplane as i understand it for a certain amount of time. since (as i think it works) most new hires bid reserve schedules, how can this guarantee they will get a line check captain on the trip? or does a new hire line bid just for IOE to ensure they get a check captain and te after that move to reserve?

IOE falls under the purview of training at most companies I know of. If a check airman has a line, training can displace the scheduled FO and substitute the IOE FO as needed. If the check airman is not needed to do IOE that month, and has no duties in the sim or elsewhere, then they may fly as a regular line pilot that month.

i hear the pilot with the LEAST seniority is called first... true

Generally yes, but some places allow more senior pilots to "Bid junior" or "Bid to fly" on reserve if they want to be used.
Proud OOTSK member

CosmicCruiser

Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:21 am

Different airlines can handle it differently but for us a new F/O OR a new Capt finishing training doesn't really have a schedule. They will assign him/her trips with a LCA. Doesn't really matter if it's a capt or f/o. It doesn't matter if it's a new hire or just a pilot changing a/c or moving from right to left seat..

As far as reserves go it can be very complicated. MAYBE initially it would be reverse senority but then it goes to the pilot with the least hours at that time with enough days left to cover the trip. that is, if it's a 5 day trip and the next reserve to be called only has 2 days left then they go to the next guy in line that has 5 days available.

futureualpilot

Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 am

At my company, Check Airman bid for lines just like a line pilot. They get awarded their schedule, as would a line FO. If you are the line FO and get paired with a Check Airman, but that particular CA is needed to do IOE, you get pulled from your line and are usually put on reserve. Occasionally you'll get that particular trip off but that is a rare occasion.

As far as reserve goes, we can designate ourselves as Call Me First or Call Me Last, otherwise it goes in order of seniority.
Life is better when you surf.