AdmiralRitt
Topic Author

MD80 Series Wing Design Comparison

Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:51 pm

I have a question for those with some knowledge of the wings of the Boeing 737 and MD80's series.

MD80's wing is narrow in profile compared to the 37's

How does this affect aircraft performance at various stages of flight.?

Does the narrow wing require less maintenance and parts ?

The space seems limited in the wings of the MD birds, do they even have any fuel tanks there?

Is it my imagination or do the Wings on the MD plane Rake back at greater angle than a 37. ?

Dalmd88

RE: MD80 Series Wing Design Comparison

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:49 pm

Quoting AdmiralRitt (Thread starter):
The space seems limited in the wings of the MD birds, do they even have any fuel tanks there?

Yes, the MD88 has room for 9300 pounds in each wing tank. They are big enough to crawl into up to the third flap hinge point. It is not fun though. Out board of that they get too thin.

tdscanuck

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:04 am

MD80's wing is narrow in profile compared to the 37's

I take it you mean the airfoil is narrower, not the planform, right?

How does this affect aircraft performance at various stages of flight.?

It doesn't, really. The MD has a much aerodynamically cleaner wing due to not having the engines mounted underneath, but that's not really related to the "narrowness".

Does the narrow wing require less maintenance and parts ?

Not for the wing itself, no. The strut is more complex for an underwing mount than for a tail mount, but that's nothing to do with airfoil narrowness.

Yes. I don't think there are any modern large jets that don't use wet wing construction.

Is it my imagination or do the Wings on the MD plane Rake back at greater angle than a 37. ?

According to this site, it's actually less (24.5 degrees): http://www.md80.com.ar/historia.html That looks about to my Mk 1 eyeball.

Tom.

tsugambler

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Is it my imagination or do the Wings on the MD plane Rake back at greater angle than a 37.

It would have to be your imagination, because that would put it nearly on par with the sweep of a 747's wing, and a cursory glance at the MD-80s wing shows it to be much less sweep than that.

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 2):
it's actually less (24.5 degrees)

Thanks for this info.... I have been trying to find the wing sweep angle for the MD-80 for a while.