e38
Topic Author

Wright Amendment Interpretation

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:21 am

I noticed on FlightAware today (Friday, February 4, 2010) that Southwest Airlines flight 15, was a scheduled flight from Dallas Love Field (DAL) to Houston Hobby (HOU) and continuing to Fort Lauderdale (FLL), but was unable to land in Houston due to weather/airport conditions (I assume) and diverted to Fort Lauderdale.

This seems to be contrary to the provisions of the Wright Amendment.

Are deviations from the Wright Amendment permitted in cases like this (diversion) or would the Amendment require that Southwest find an airport to land at that is within the state limitations (Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kansas, or Missouri) of the Wright Amendment?

Also, is international travel permitted from DAL (for example DAL-IAH-LHR) under the provisions of the Wright Amendment?

Thanks

e38

sccutler

RE: Wright Amendment Interpretation

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:44 pm

This is not a violation; Southwest did not sell a non-stop which violated the Wright Amendment restrictions, and the diversion for reasons of flight safety did not make it into a violation.

By the way, is your username related to the Alpine Casparis Municipal Airport?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

KELPkid

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I know WN tends to overfly destinations in their point-to-point network in situations like this. Do passengers typically know this before boarding, or do the overflights happen en-route? Just curious.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

e38
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:28 am

sccutler, thank you for the answer. This makes sense now, with respect to the fact that Southwest did not sell tickets for the flight from DAL to FLL as a nonstop flight, but completed the flight only as an IROP (irregular operation).

Also, with reference to your question, "By the way, is your username related to the Alpine Casparis Municipal Airport?"

It is.

WNCrew

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:29 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 2):
Do passengers typically know this before boarding, or do the overflights happen en-route? Just curious.

Typically passengers know about this before takeoff... or they've at least been made aware that it's a possibility before takeoff so some pax may choose not to take the flight. I've flown LAS-DAL and DAL-MDW. LAS-DAL was a mechanical diversion enroute to STL, and DAL-MDW was, like this situation, a planned overfly due to weather.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sccutler

Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:44 am

Quoting e38 (Reply 3):

Also, with reference to your question, "By the way, is your username related to the Alpine Casparis Municipal Airport?"

It is.

Curiosity is duly piqued. E38 was my very first "long distance" destination (flown in an Archer, from Dallas, it *is* a long way). These days, my typical west Texas destination is down the road at MRF, but I have interests at E38 as well.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...