frenchpilot
Topic Author

Low Cost Airlines: Staff Travel Options Worldwide

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 am

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to know what is the current offering of staff travel solutions for low cost airlines employees?
I know easyJet for exemple only allows staff travels on their airline and are quite reluctant to have partnership with other airlines, do other LCC have agreements with other legacy carriers for their employees to benefit from? One that comes to mind is Air Arabia, as I was seated next to an FA that was traveling on ID90 staff travel ticket issued by her airline to fly on Emirates.
Do any LCC, affiliated or not to IATA have some agreements with legacy carriers then? What is the options available at all the airlines worldwide?

Thanks for your time

[Edited 2011-02-10 03:33:21]
"Sur votre gilet vous trouverez un sifflet pour attirer les poissons..."

bluewhale18210

RE: Low Cost Airlines: Staff Travel Options Worldwide

Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:41 am

WN has recipricol agreement with almost all major airlines in the U.S, and a few overseas ones too. When I worked for CI I accepted more than a few ID90 tickets issued by WN to fly LAX/TPE. That ticket stock is no good on regular revenue tickets but ok for non-revs. Our agreement with WN allows "trip passes" that goes for a fixed per-segment fare on WN flights. This creates interesting problem because the auto-ticketing system is not designed to accept a carrier code which it does not have interline agreement for. The manual explicitly said to accomplish this a manual ticket must be used. Quite an interesting experience to hand-write ticket on red paper ticket stocks in the 2000's...
As far as I know B6 has similar agreements with major airlines as well. I can get ZED on B6 and I imagine the agreement would be recripricol.
JPS on A300-600RF A319/320 B737-400/800 B757-200F B767-300F CRJ-200/900. Looking to add more.

skord

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Here at SAS, we get ID90 on JetBlue.

bobnwa

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:39 pm

I believe WN an B6 have ZED agreements with most carriers

B6MoneyGuyJFK

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm

We (B6) have agreements with many carriers. A mixture of Legacy and LCC's. The agreements are with both US and foreign carriers.
Some are for a service fee, a few are ID90, and many are Zed.
As a matter of fact, I have passes (Zed M) on AF to travel next week.
I'm praying to both the weather and non-rev Gods!
Opinions are like @ssholes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks everyone elses stinks!

Boeing77W

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm

BE have agreements with numerous airlines including VS and AF for staff travel. Don't know of the finer details.

B6JFKH81

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Quoting B6MoneyGuyJFK (Reply 4):
As a matter of fact, I have passes (Zed M) on AF to travel next week.

Taking the AF A380?

Quoting B6MoneyGuyJFK (Reply 4):
I'm praying to both the weather and non-rev Gods!

Awe heck, I'll even say an extra "Our Father" for ya LOL!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Dogbreath

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:26 am

Try this website for staff travel discounts.

www.stafftravel.eu
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

frenchpilot
Topic Author

Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:07 am

Thanks so much for the replies above. I was wondering if some of you could tell me excactly how come Southwest or any other airlines that are not affiliated with IATA can get through with having agreements with other airlines that are IATA?
I am trying to understand why easyJet doesn't give that option to their employees, and refuse categorically to accept other airlines staff travel? Is there a limit as to not being an IATA member? Do you know of other airlines that are non IATA and have agreements with others?
Thanks again everyone!
"Sur votre gilet vous trouverez un sifflet pour attirer les poissons..."

Viscount724

Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:29 am

Quoting frenchpilot (Reply 8):
I was wondering if some of you could tell me excactly how come Southwest or any other airlines that are not affiliated with IATA can get through with having agreements with other airlines that are IATA?
I am trying to understand why easyJet doesn't give that option to their employees, and refuse categorically to accept other airlines staff travel? Is there a limit as to not being an IATA member? Do you know of other airlines that are non IATA and have agreements with others?

It has nothing to do with IATA. It's a matter of negotiation between airlines. Although WN doesn't interline with other carriers they have staff travel agreements with other airlines which are reciprocal, meaning they offer discounts to employees of other carriers and vice versa. WN has alwways treated their staff well and that's probably just one example. They know other airlines aren't going to offer staff travel discounts to WN employees unless they over similar discounts to the other carriers.

EasyJet obviously doesn't share that view and no doubt doesn't want to deal with anything related to interlining. Obviously, other carriers aren't going to offer staff travel discounts to EasyJet employees unless EasyJet gives the same benefits to the other carriers' staff. EasyJet would then have to accept tickets issued by the other carriers which would be complicated since they have no interline accounting facilities or staff. The revenue they'd get from other carriers' staff flying on EasyJet probably wouldn't even cover the administrative and accounting costs. And with EasyJet's low fares and high load factors, would other carriers' staff want to risk flying standby on EasyJet when for a little more you can buy a full fare ticket and guarantee you're going to get there?