zhiao
Topic Author

Airplanes By Origin Of Components

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:09 am

Is there any list out there that displays every plane by country source of its components?

For ex:

Plane A

USA: x%
China: x%
France: x %

tdscanuck

RE: Airplanes By Origin Of Components

Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting zhiao (Thread starter):

Is there any list out there that displays every plane by country source of its components?

Not really, because it depends (a lot) on how you define "component". For example, major structural components of an aircraft might come from, say, Korea using aluminum stock from Russia, Canada, or the US...what's the country of origin?

Your avionics box has a case from Taiwan, chips from China, assembled in Puerto Rico, running software coded in the US...what's the country of origin?

Tom.

SchorschNG

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Airbus aircraft can have up to 40% American workshare if engines are American. Many Airbus systems are sourced from USA, also a political move to reduce exposure to EUROUSD exchange ratio.
From a structural standpoint, passengers are the worst possible payload. [Michael Chun-Yung Niu]

Charlienoble

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Quoting SchorschNG (Reply 2):
Airbus aircraft can have up to 40% American workshare if engines are American. Many Airbus systems are sourced from USA, also a political move to reduce exposure to EUROUSD exchange ratio.

Kind of like my "Japanese" cars that were assembled in Ohio and the UK! And came with Delco batteries IIRC  
"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True Story."- Barney Stinson

wingscrubber

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I used to work in an engine assembly plant - was fascinating to see where all the parts came from.
In one engine some of the components would break out like this;

-Pistons, Brazil/China
-Carburetor, Mexico/Taiwan
-Fuel filter/oil filter, India
-Wiring harness, China/USA
-Engine block/crankshaft, USA
-Plastic moldings, USA

But the torque wrenches used to check the tools on the line were made in England  

In aerospace though, even 'foreign made aircraft' rely heavily on a US dominated manufacturing industry.
Sitting at work right now, and the manufacturing plant behind my office is currently exporting to Europe, Japan, China, Russia, India, Taiwan... everywhere.
Resident TechOps Troll