Dainan
Topic Author

How Do Single Pilots Go To The Toilet?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:27 am

How do pilots relieve themselves when flying single? Do they us some sort of portable toilet and if so, how would they use it without compromising the safety? Or do they fly with some sort of diaper on like space pilots do, just in case? :p

Let's say that you're flying your Cessna Citation CJ4 from London to Iceland as a single pilot. The weather is clear and constantly looking down at the North Atlantic makes you wanna go number one. Would a pilot in that situation entrust his wellbeing to the autopilot, praying that he won't hit any clear air turbulence or have an engine failure, and run back to the toilet to take a leak? It sounds like big no-no I guess, but does it happen?

garpd

RE: How Do Single Pilots Go To The Toilet?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 am

Two words: Adult nappy (or: Adult Diaper for the Americans on this board.)
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Flaps

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am

Trim a few degrees nose down, descend 200 feet scurry to to the cargo hold and make use of relief tube. Scurry back to the cockpit before the aircraft climbs more than 200 feet above original altitude and level off again at assigned altitude. Well, at least thats how it works in an empty C303. Never tried it with pax.

Zkpilot

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 am

"How do single pilots go to the toilet?"
The same way as married ones     
56 types. 38 countries. 24 airlines.

JoeCanuck

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 3):

Dammit...stole my line...
What the...?

par13del

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Do what the rest of the aviation public does, drink less before your flight and use the toilet in the boarding area just before getting on the a/c, you don't really beleive that all 200-300+ pax on a long haul flight use the limited number of toilets available on the a/c do you?
I think the airport designes are a hint, what's the last thing that you see before you board an a/c and the first that you look for when you deplane.

Rara

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 5):
you don't really beleive that all 200-300+ pax on a long haul flight use the limited number of toilets available on the a/c do you?

I think on a 9 or 10 hours flight with meal service etc., most everyone would get up and take a leak at some point in time, no?
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

SOBHI51

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Few years ago i was a passenger on a Learjet, with no bathroom, of course nature called very badly, the F/O gave me a kind of plastic bag with a kind of chemical inside, did my thing and urine became frozen, the crew disposed of the bag at destination.
I am not sure if this is used still.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

rfields5421

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Quoting Dainan (Thread starter):
Let's say that you're flying your Cessna Citation CJ4 from London to Iceland as a single pilot.

That's 1050-1150 nm from Stansted to Rekjavik - 2 1/2 to 3 hours maximum. The pilot goes before the flight. If you've done much flying, certainly enough to be qualified in that jet, you've learned how to manage your pre-flight fluids and bathroom planning.

Now if you are flying from Wick to Rekjavik in a PC-12 - which is part of the normal deliver route, so the interior has not yet been fitted - you need a temporary device because you are looking at a 3 to 4 hour flight.

Along with the devices listed above - there are also specially designed bottle type urinals for both males and females.

http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/category/930

The diaper option is used by a lot of small aircraft ferry pilots because they make the entire flight across the North Atlantic while wearing survival suits. They can't 'drop trousers' in those suits.

Aesma

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 pm

My uncle had the plastic bottles things in his Bonanza, both a male and female kind (he was often flying with his wife, for pleasure or air rallies).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Birdwatching

Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, this is the kind of question you have to ask glider pilots.

We fly 8 hours sometimes and we just HAVE to drink when it's warm in summer, so at one time you just have to go. Some pilots wear diapers, others use Zip Loc bags or bottles. It kind of helps being a man, as you have most of the required plumbing factory-installed.

It's fun to drop the plastic bag out the window while thermaling and you wait till it hits the ground. I'd never do it over populated areas though. Just in the forest.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Dainan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:05 pm

Thank's for all the replies. There seem to be many interesting and creative solutions out there.

Is it legal for a single pilot to leave the cockpit while flying on autopilot in order to use the on board lav if he is flying a bizjet equiped with one?

JetCaptain

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:14 pm

Use barf bags with caution. Years ago myself and 2 friends embarked on a cross country journey to the big city in a rented Cessna 172. About an hour and a half into our return trip back home our back seat passenger informs us he has to take a wicked piss and just can't hold it anymore.

We begin to discuss our options, we're only about 30 minutes from destination and already running late so we don't really want to make an unscheduled pit stop. In an ironic twist of fate we just happened to be flying in the vicinity of Niagara Falls at the time which probably didn't help with our friends state of mind. Things rapidly deteriorate and our backseater is now almost to the point of tears in what appeared to be an extreme state of discomfort, he had to go NOW.

With no other apparent options I pass him back a barf bag and tell him to use that. Now up to that flight it was always part of our pre-flight procedures to make sure there were barf bags onboard, however I never actually looked at them to make sure they were in a satisfactory condition, and as we were about to learn, the one I passed back had been ripped and had a few small holes in the bottom of it.

Now with the aroma of stinky pee filling the cabin, that stuff really stinks in such a small confined space, our hapless passenger begins to inform us in no uncertain terms (the "F" word repeated multiple times) that this now half full bag of stinky pee has sprouted a leak of it's own. In the ensuing panic we surmise the best course of action would be to immediately discharge the offending bag from the aircraft ASAP.

I pull the throttle back to slow down and crack open the door. Leaning forward our hapless passenger begins to try and rapidly egress the bag through the partially open door, when we learn another of life's cruel lessons, the structural integrity of a half full barf bag of pee is no match for the 110 mile per hour wind stream. As soon as the leaky bag begins to poke out and make contact with the outside airflow it promptly explodes into a fireball of warm yellow urine, with most of the blowback being sprayed directly into the face of our now very hapless passenger.

In the ensuing hysterical laughter it's all I can do to maintain straight and level flight. As I look back to survey the damage I observe that the now empty bag had managed to exit the aircraft after all where it had now become lodged on the horizontal stabilizer. I carry a few extra knots on the approach not knowing the full aerodynamic effect on performance caused by a barf bag stuck on the stab, probably nothing but safety first.

We got a few looks as we taxied into the flying club with a long yellow streak down the side of the fuselage and a barf bag stuck on the tail. Confirming the condition of all onboard barf bags, and making sure all passengers have gone to the washroom before departure, is now part of my pre-flight checklist.

GST

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 10):

It's fun to drop the plastic bag out the window while thermaling and you wait till it hits the ground. I'd never do it over populated areas though. Just in the forest.

After cold weather sheep have been found dead with only an empty plastic bag next to them...

It is entertaining to see on the logger traces which pilot's aircraft have more rapid spiraling tendencies when they need to pee, looks like a downward thermal as they try to manage the logistics.

[Edited 2011-02-27 09:38:58]

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:47 pm

Quoting JetCaptain (Reply 12):
JetCaptain

Awww man brings back memories. 

I have the most annoying bladder. It always seems to fill up at the worst possible moments. On a flight from VCV to PRC, I made absolutely sure to empty my bladder one last time before I left the FBO. Sure enough halfway to PRC 1 hr into the flight my bladder feels like it wants to explode again. I thought about using the sick sacks as well but fearing a mess as with JetCaptain's story I opted to sacrifice my water bottle. So I pee into said bottle, filling it up 98% of the way, screw the lid on it, and then open the window and dumped it out in the middle of the desert. I watched in horror how it missed the horizontal stab by 2" at most, next time I'll now better and make sure to fully extend my arm well below the stab and skid the plane with the rudder the opposite way before releasing it to prevent a messy disaster 

Also, many Beechcraft came equipped with a "pilot relief tube". Which was basically a hose with a funnel you peed on and which dumped the stuff overboard with a venturi. I think King Airs still have them to this date.

Not a beech, but same concept:

[Edited 2011-02-27 09:52:33]

SEPilot

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:19 pm

One simple solution; land. In nearly 1200 hours of flight I cannot recall any instance where I was faced with an "emergency"; it always seemed adequate to use the bathroom before takeoff, even on some flights that were 4-5 hours. The only exception I recall was one time I took a couple of my nephews flying; after about an hour one of them (I believe he was 6 or 7 at the time) started saying that it was time to go home. He didn't say why, and I did not hurry back; but it turned out that he needed to use the bathroom. He then announced that next time he was taking a "full service flight."
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

GST

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 15):
next time I'll now better and make sure to fully extend my arm well below the stab and skid the plane with the rudder the opposite way before releasing it to prevent a messy disaster

I wouldn't guarantee that side slipping will help overly. You get some fairly funky eddies and such that may well still result in disaster of the yellow plane variety. Can i suggest doing a test run with water?

SAAFNAV

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 pm

On the C130 we have 2 Urinals, dumping overboard from the belly.

When you do close formations, the first thing the lead aircraft's crew do is have whizz.

If it really hits the other plane, I don't know, but it's the idea that count.

Regards,

Erich
On-board Direction Consultant

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting GST (Reply 17):

I wouldn't guarantee that side slipping will help overly. You get some fairly funky eddies and such that may well still result in disaster of the yellow plane variety. Can i suggest doing a test run with water?

Good point

I wonder if flying knife edge or inverted may help 

Dainan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Thank you for all the insightful and hillarious answers! :p

Back to topic though, is it actually legal to leave the cockpit for a visit to the toilet if you're flying SOPs?

SEPilot

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm

Quoting Dainan (Reply 20):
Back to topic though, is it actually legal to leave the cockpit for a visit to the toilet if you're flying SOPs?

If you're flying a single engine plane it's not really possible. You do whatever you do at the pilot's seat.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

MD11Engineer

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:04 pm

My maternal granddad as a young man during WW2, was a bomber pilot in the Luftwaffe (mostly in Northern Africa and Southern Italy until they ran out of fuel in 1943 and he got issued a rifle and told that he was a infantryman from then on).
During one of his first solo cross country flights in some open cockpit biplane (I think it was a Bücker Jungmann, back then the initial trainer of the Luftwaffe), he told me he felt his morning coffee come back to say "hello, here I am again!".
Dressed up in a padded jumpsuit type of flight suit and sitting on a seat parachute, and no place to land in a field for a pit stop, he just let go.
After he returned to his airbase, the Luftwaffe docked him for washing and repacking the parachute.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Dainan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 21):
If you're flying a single engine plane it's not really possible. You do whatever you do at the pilot's seat.

Yeah, that makes sense. But what if you're flying a Citation or a Phenom or a Beech with a great reliable autopilot? would it be a breach of any regulations to leave the cockpit unmanned while you use the toilet?

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 22):

My maternal granddad as a young man during WW2, was a bomber pilot in the Luftwaffe (mostly in Northern Africa and Southern Italy until they ran out of fuel in 1943 and he got issued a rifle and told that he was a infantryman from then on).
During one of his first solo cross country flights in some open cockpit biplane (I think it was a Bücker Jungmann, back then the initial trainer of the Luftwaffe), he told me he felt his morning coffee come back to say "hello, here I am again!".
Dressed up in a padded jumpsuit type of flight suit and sitting on a seat parachute, and no place to land in a field for a pit stop, he just let go.
After he returned to his airbase, the Luftwaffe docked him for washing and repacking the parachute.

Jan

That's an amazing story.
Hehe good that it didn't get him in to worse problems than that. I guess that incidents like that one must happen mor often than one thinks

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting Dainan (Reply 23):
would it be a breach of any regulations to leave the cockpit unmanned while you use the toilet?

Strictly speaking, no:

Quote:
FAR § 91.105 Flight crewmembers at stations.

a) During takeoff and landing, and while en route, each required flight crewmember shall—

(1) Be at the crewmember station unless the absence is necessary to perform duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft or in connection with physiological needs

I haven't been in this situation, but even without an autopilot, if there's a potty in the back, and the plane is properly trimmed and in smooth air and after putting the ATC comms on the PA system, you bet I'll use the potty if my bladder is about to explode.

*This is just the FAA, mind you. I'm too lazy to find what ICAO says.

[Edited 2011-02-27 14:48:51]

NAS738

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Quoting Dainan (Reply 23):
Yeah, that makes sense. But what if you're flying a Citation or a Phenom or a Beech with a great reliable autopilot? would it be a breach of any regulations to leave the cockpit unmanned while you use the toilet?

Not everything is written in the regulations. Some things is just self explanatory, like "you cant fly with only one wing" etc. And before you smart guys jump on me, I know if you are flying a F15 its no problem with that eiter.  

If you are a single pilot, you have the responsability of everything up there. Sure you can use the A/P while you do your stuff, but you have to be in your seat doing so.  

NAS738

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):
would it be a breach of any regulations to leave the cockpit unmanned while you use the toilet?

Strictly speaking, no:

Quote:

a) During takeoff and landing, and while en route, each required flight crewmember shall—

(1) Be at the crewmember station unless the absence is necessary to perform duties in connection with the operation of the aircraft or in connection with physiological needs

I'm not so sure you can say that. If anything where to happen, or about to happen there are many regs they can take you down on.

§ 91.13   Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

There is one of them.

Fly2HMO

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Quoting NAS738 (Reply 26):
If anything where to happen, or about to happen there are many regs they can take you down on.

Well of course. It's a huge gray area if you consider all the other regs, they're very much subject to different interpretations.

Quoting NAS738 (Reply 26):
No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

In this case my interpretation is that they're talking primarily about, say, doing aerobatics over a crowded beach below 500ft AGL without a waiver. But as you say, it could very well be used against you should the piss hit the fan (prop?)   

GST

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 19):
I wonder if flying knife edge or inverted may help

I would love to see you maneuvering into those states without spilling any from your receptacle. Seriously, it could be quite an interesting challenge!

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 27):
But as you say, it could very well be used against you should the piss hit the fan (prop?)

Funny you should say that, since I am currently working on the designing and building of the first prototype of a pusher prop single seat LSA...We have jokingly talked about the toilet arrangements, but the prop could be interesting if any "jettison" system is developed 

Dainan
Topic Author

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 24):

Now this is interesting. According to the FAA, you can physically leave the cockit if your physiological needs call for it, correct? That means that FAA approves using the on board toilet or a portable one that isn't in the flightdeck, Or is my intrepetation incorrect?

Quoting NAS738 (Reply 25):
If you are a single pilot, you have the responsability of everything up there. Sure you can use the A/P while you do your stuff, but you have to be in your seat doing so.  

Do you have any source on this? If the rule is that you must stay put in your seat, than the "FAR § 91.105 Flight crewmembers at stations" can't hold true? or can it?  

Fly2HMO

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:56 am

Quoting GST (Reply 28):
We have jokingly talked about the toilet arrangements, but the prop could be interesting if any "jettison" system is developed

Maybe you could develop pilot relief tube system that terminates in a slinger ring (or whatever its called) as used in some wet props. I'm sure that would guarantee adequate atomization and dispersal of urinal fluids Big grin
Quoting Dainan (Reply 29):
According to the FAA, you can physically leave the cockit if your physiological needs call for it, correct?

Yes. It says "each required crew member". So, if even only one is required, and only one crew member is available, then you may do so. It does not specifically say that only applies to a multi-crew plane.

Not that you should let the FAA know about it though if you were to actually do it...   

Quoting Dainan (Reply 29):
or can it?

Well as with everything the FAA writes there's TONS of gray areas in the regs. So expecting a clear cut answer from them is impossible, and many regs would seem to contradict many others depending on how you interpret them, as NAS738 pointed out.

[Edited 2011-02-27 16:59:41]

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:27 am

Quoting Dainan (Thread starter):
How do pilots relieve themselves when flying single? Do they us some sort of portable toilet and if so, how would they use it without compromising the safety? Or do they fly with some sort of diaper on like space pilots do, just in case?

Knowing I have an overactive bladder, when I use to make a cross country flights longer than an hour or so, I'd just bring an empty Coke bottle with me in my flightbag. Never tried throwing it out the window because of the potential risk to people below, or possible airframe damage. When I was finished I'd just screw the cap on, throw the bottle in my flightbag and dispose of it after I landed. I do the same thing when I'm taking a long distance road trip in the car by myself. Otherwise, I could be stopping 2-3 times an hour if I was having an bad day or had too much coffee.

It embarrassing on long commercial flights when I have to keep asking the passenger next to me to let me up to go use the restroom! Especially if it's more than once an hour. I've almost been tempted to do the bottle trick underneath a blanket at my seat. Nobody would ever know, and I wouldn't have to wake the passenger up next to me repeatedly to make a runs for the WC. However, I've never been able to get myself to actually do it. Instead I just get on the nerves of the guy next to me trying to sleep.

[Edited 2011-02-27 17:29:02]

26point2

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:32 am

Which was basically a hose with a funnel you peed on and which dumped the stuff overboard with a venturi

Know-it-all new guy put this funnel to his mouth as he says "...what's this? Oxygen?". Didn't have the heart to tell him. Wonder if he ever found out. True story.

stratosphere

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 am

Hell doesn't have to be single pilot ask the Amerijet 727 pilots who they did it with no lavs

Dainan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:51 pm

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 33):
Hell doesn't have to be single pilot ask the Amerijet 727 pilots who they did it with no lavs

Please do enlighten me sire, what was the deal with those 727s?  

bond007

Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 16):
One simple solution; land. In nearly 1200 hours of flight I cannot recall any instance where I was faced with an "emergency"; it always seemed adequate to use the bathroom before takeoff, even on some flights that were 4-5 hours.

Agreed. Most single pilot ops are very short flights. The examples given here for 4 and 5 hour flights, and ferry flights, are not common ... and even so, 'most' folks can manage that amount of time with perhaps an emergency empty bottle standing by.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

SEPilot

Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:19 pm

Quoting bond007 (Reply 35):

Agreed. Most single pilot ops are very short flights.

The other factor was that every flight I have taken I have always had the option of an unscheduled landing if needed; there have always been airports available along my routes. I just have never had to do it.

chuchoteur

Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Quoting SEPilot (Reply 36):
The other factor was that every flight I have taken I have always had the option of an unscheduled landing if needed; there have always been airports available along my routes. I just have never had to do it.

You're lucky!

A couple of years ago my flight instructor was delivering home a brand new aircraft for our flying club.

About 20 minutes out, he suddenly got desperate for the toilets... alas this being a brand new aircraft, it didn't have the usual flight club equipment (read: empty bottle) on board.

Left with the only two solutions (carry on as scheduled, or land in a field), he pressed on.
By the time he got in touch with the tower, he was calling priority over the habitual traffic doing touch 'n goes, landed, exited asap onto grass and let loose in full view of the amused public.

We were all thankful that he didn't spoil the new addition, but he did tell us that being desperate for the toilets was quite debilitating and really influenced (in a bad way) his available mental capabilities.

NAS738

Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 27):
Quoting NAS738 (Reply 26):No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

In this case my interpretation is that they're talking primarily about, say, doing aerobatics over a crowded beach below 500ft AGL without a waiver. But as you say, it could very well be used against you should the piss hit the fan (prop?)   

The way I interpret that is that it could cover anything from doing your run-up right in front of another plane without turning away, to low flying without waiver, or like we are discussing here, leaving the cockpit for a potty brake.
But like its being pointed out here, as long as nothing happens nobody needs to know, but if you cant answer ATC for a few calls, or the A/P does something stupid, like most GA plane A/P does, or you get a close call to another plane, then you are in some deep shit. Personally I wouldn't leave my seat, but thats me  

Fly2HMO

Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:47 am

Quoting NAS738 (Reply 38):
Personally I wouldn't leave my seat, but thats me

You could always tie a string to the yoke and pedals and take it along with you as you walk back 

Lemmy

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:10 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 32):
Know-it-all new guy put this funnel to his mouth as he says "...what's this? Oxygen?". Didn't have the heart to tell him. Wonder if he ever found out. True story.

Now THAT'S funny stuff.
I am a patient boy ...

N243NW

Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 am

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 39):
You could always tie a string to the yoke and pedals and take it along with you as you walk back

This might become problematic should you have the need to command a pitch down with the string while in the back of the plane...as my statics professor always told us, "you can't push a rope." 
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

hal9213

Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks to everybody contributing with hilarious stories  
Quoting chuchoteur (Reply 37):
quite debilitating and really influenced (in a bad way) his available mental capabilities.

I wondered about that, too. Whats more dangerous? Leaving your post with autopilot for 20 seconds, or being in a mentally stressed state for the rest of the flight ?

FredT

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:24 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 10):
It's fun to drop the plastic bag out the window while thermaling

I'm sure you mean "it could be fun to drop the plastic bag out the window". Illegal to drop things from aircraft in most of the world, see...  

Dunno why?

Quoting GST (Reply 14):
After cold weather sheep have been found dead with only an empty plastic bag next to them...

Oh. That's why then!

Pilots flying mountain waves in winter have been seen landing with a plastic bag full of frozen yellowish liquid draped over the leading edge of their wing root.

And have not been allowed to forget it. Ever.

Tried tying a knot on a plastic bag one handed while flying an aircraft? One guy found a solution. Just spin the bag around for a bit to twist the neck and make it easy to knot.

Then, once, in a club aircraft, he had a bag with a tiny little hole in the bottom of it...

Also, many Beechcraft came equipped with a "pilot relief tube".

Local guy tried retrofitting his glider. First lesson learned when opening the valve to dump overboard: There are local points of high pressure on the fuselage of a glider.

Quoting GST (Reply 17):
You get some fairly funky eddies and such that may well still result in disaster of the yellow plane variety. Can i suggest doing a test run with water?

That was his second lesson learned.

One of those funnels with a valve dumping to outside is what we have at work. Pressurized cabin means there's a pretty good "swooooosh" as you open the valve. I'm being very careful about 'keeping my distance', so to speak... but it's something you do avoid using, as the drain mast is not heated. Stuck in the back, headset out of arms reach, holding a full funnel with the drain frozen and trying to get hold of someone to pass you a bottle... is more fun when retelling the story afterwards than during the event.
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Fly2HMO

Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Quoting FredT (Reply 43):
Illegal to drop things from aircraft in most of the world, see..

Fortunately for us in the US the FAA doesn't give a damn what you drop provided you don't hurt or break anything. 
Quote:

§ 91.15 Dropping objects.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

I've bombed a certain somewhere with Grade AA Jumbo eggs Big grin

Local guy tried retrofitting his glider. First lesson learned when opening the valve to dump overboard: There are local points of high pressure on the fuselage of a glider.

That must have been messy.

[Edited 2011-03-07 13:43:56]

ArmitageShanks

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Quoting Fly2HMO (Reply 44):
Fortunately for us in the US the FAA doesn't give a damn what you drop provided you don't hurt or break anything.

I did a solo cross country from TRI-CHA years ago and they had free bags of popcorn at the FBO and I let about 3 of those suckers go along the way home. It was raining popcorn in east Tennessee that day.

emirates202

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:44 pm

We're all talking about taking a #1, but what about #2?
Fly Emirates, Hello Tomorrow

SAAFNAV

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 am

I'm sure you mean "it could be fun to drop the plastic bag out the window". Illegal to drop things from aircraft in most of the world, see...

You are allowed to drop ballast from an aircraft. So just argue that smelly, yellow ballast works best!
On-board Direction Consultant

N243NW

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting SAAFNAV (Reply 47):
You are allowed to drop ballast from an aircraft.

In the U.S., you're technically allowed to drop anything you like from an aircraft, so long as it doesn't cause damage to persons or property and doesn't constitute "careless or reckless" operation of an aircraft.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

HAWK21M

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 am

the Good ol plastic bottle is an option.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)