flyboy80
Topic Author

Automatic Doors And Accidental Slide Deployment

Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:24 am

On aircraft with "automatic" door/slide arming devices, and by that I mean doors which are armed/disarmed without physically touching the girt bar, how likely is it, the girt bar device may not disengage when the door is disarmed? Is this even possible?

For instance, if you disarm a 757 door, armed lever is in the disarmed position, and then you were to open the door (from the inside) is it possible the slide may still engage, or is this system relitively fail-safe? I'm sure each aircraft model differs and this is only one I used for conversational example.

I know several airlines now have simply adopted policies to not have the doors operated AT ALL from the interior, and therefore utilize a standard procedure to have doors opened/closed from the outside of aircraft to employ the use of the auto slide disengage mechanism found on most automatic doors.

I feel more comfortable with doors where you can physically see that the girt bar is NOT attached to the aircraft (737, MD80)

tdscanuck

RE: Automatic Doors And Accidental Slide Deployment

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:41 am

Quoting flyboy80 (Thread starter):

On aircraft with "automatic" door/slide arming devices, and by that I mean doors which are armed/disarmed without physically touching the girt bar, how likely is it, the girt bar device may not disengage when the door is disarmed? Is this even possible?

Anything's possible, but this shouldn't be possible without mechanical failure of the door. The latch shouldn't be able to cycle until the girt bar is disengaged.

I know several airlines now have simply adopted policies to not have the doors operated AT ALL from the interior, and therefore utilize a standard procedure to have doors opened/closed from the outside of aircraft to employ the use of the auto slide disengage mechanism found on most automatic doors.

I don't understand this...you're worried enough about the automatic internal disarm to implement the policy, but you trust that the auto slide disengage mechanism from the outside more so?

Tom.

JRadier

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:13 am

For instance, if you disarm a 757 door, armed lever is in the disarmed position, and then you were to open the door (from the inside) is it possible the slide may still engage, or is this system relitively fail-safe? I'm sure each aircraft model differs and this is only one I used for conversational example.

At my airline we use the following 3-count drill to make sure the slide is disarmed on the 767:
-Ensure armed lever is in the disarmed position
-Ensure warning placard out of view (in front of the door handle)
-Ensure girt bar lockdown indicators completely blank.

The last one does the trick. If the girt bar would still be engaged the girtbar lockdown indicators would still be completely/partitially yellow, and we would know the slide is not disarmed.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

CCA

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:48 am

The policy of opening the door from the outside (with doors that disarm when opened from the outside) is just a failsafe in case the door was left in auto.

A problem that leaves the girt bar stuck will pull the slide out from the door and therefore cause the slide to inflate.

So either inside or outside opening will not help.

Personally if I'm required to open the door from the inside, I check the girt bar has lifted from girt bar attachments, this due to previously being an AME and rigging door girt bars.

Also doors often fail to arm correctly when FOD is in the girt bar attachments, this same FOD could cause a door to fail to disarm correctly, fortunately its usually discovered during the arming process.
P1 in A330, A340, A346, B742, B744, B748.

Tristarsteve

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

There is a minefield here for those that work the ramp.
One airline I work with, doors must be opened from the inside. Catering not allowed to touch them.
Next airline, ground crew knock on door, cabin crew opens.
Next, cabin crew give thumbs up, and ground crew opens.
My airline still has some B737-400s in service, so all doors are opened from the inside. But catering and ramp workers are encouraged to open them from the outside. A platform (catering truck or steps) must be in place. I like this one. We only have A320 B767 and so both have auto disarm from outside, and if the girt bar does not disarm, then the slide pack falls onto the platform and doesn't go off.

I have never seen an escape slide inflate when the disarm lever is in disarm. Very often, in the winter, the disarm lever will not move to disarm because the girt bar is frozen.

I feel more comfortable with doors where you can physically see that the girt bar is NOT attached to the aircraft (737, MD80)

But you can't see if you are outside.

Make it a rule not to open the door unless there is a platform outside. Wait for the jetty, or steps to be in position. Then, the flight attendant won't fall so far, and if the slide pack drops out it doesn't inflate.

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:28 am

Most types Do not deploy the slides even if armed & inadvertantly opened from outside.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)