YokoTsuno
Topic Author

Question About Car Licence Plates For ATCs

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:42 pm

On my last German business trip, I saw an unusual licence plate on the highway.It was a small blue licence plate with EURO written on it. Initially I believed that these were personalised plates until I jokingly asked my German co-workers. "Is this the amount of money the driver has on his bank account?".

Although they could not agree either where that licence plate came from (The Germans have black & white licence plates) one believed that this was an air traffic controller.

Is this true and if so why do European traffic controllers have different plates? Do they enjoy certain privileges like diplomats?

330guy

RE: Question About Car Licence Plates For ATCs

Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I dont know about ATC but Doctors, Diplomats, Judges.. ect. often have a special plate added to thier reg. I think its so they dont get clamped or parking fines or anything like that as they have some extra benefits that us civies dont
Aircraft flown: a300/10/20/21/30/40, b727/37/47/57/67/, DC9, MD80-90, l1011, f50, atr42/72, shorts360, pc12

Jetlagged

Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:12 pm

Strange as it may seem, not to mention rather unnecessary, Eurocontrol staff in Belgium can apply for a licence plate such as the one you saw, which comprises nnnEURO, where nnn are digits. Personnally I'd rather not advertise my job to all and sundry like that, but maybe they have certain privileges.

http://www.enotes.com/topic/Vehicle_...e_plates_for_trailers_and_caravans
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

KELPkid

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Quoting jetlagged (Reply 2):
Strange as it may seem, not to mention rather unnecessary, Eurocontrol staff in Belgium can apply for a licence plate such as the one you saw, which comprises nnnEURO, where nnn are digits. Personnally I'd rather not advertise my job to all and sundry like that, but maybe they have certain privileges.

Do they get to park on-airfield at certain airports? Maybe this speeds up the security procedures for getting through the security gate  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

EMBQA

Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:21 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 3):
Do they get to park on-airfield at certain airports? Maybe this speeds up the security procedures for getting through the security gate

Most ATC towers I know of or have been around are not within the SIDA area of the airport...but do have restricted access to their parking area and building. A secure swipe badge and special code are required much like any secure building complex.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

KELPkid

Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:24 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
Most ATC towers I know of or have been around are not within the SIDA area of the airport...but do have restricted access to their parking area and building. A secure swipe badge and special code are required much like any secure building complex.

I know of at least one (mostly GA) airport here in the US where the tower personnel park inside the security gate...right at the base of the tower itself, as a matter of fact  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)