mrskyguy
Topic Author

Automated Noise Monitoring Systems Near Airports

Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:51 pm

As I was browsing through an old thread, I clicked on a link about Burbank Airport in California that piqued my attention. Specifically, the map of the noise monitoring system installed at Burbank. I've always wondered.. how do these systems work with respect to automatic fees to operators?

I imagine that it's somehow tied to a system of scheduled arrivals/departures, otherwise it could be subject to error and abuse. How do these systems detect specific aircraft noise and know for a fact that it's Southwest 1567 from Oakland, for example? How does the system know it's that B737 and not a delayed AAL MD-80?

Here's the map of noise monitoring stations at Burbank (KBUR). The link to the source page and Boeing is below the image:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/noise/burbank.html
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee." -- Gunter's 2nd Law of Air

BD338

RE: Automated Noise Monitoring Systems Near Airports

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 pm

I believe the system uses some kind of secure radar link from each location to identify aircraft by their transponder signals.

LGB has something similar to BUR for noise tracking, you can see the noise levels "live" on the LGB website and the identification of each aircraft as it passes over.

bond007

Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Quoting BD338 (Reply 1):
I believe the system uses some kind of secure radar link from each location to identify aircraft by their transponder signals.

Some simply use the real-time feed from the FAA (similar to the feed flight trackers get), to correlate the noise and the actual aircraft/flight. Most flights with jet engine noise (i.e. IFR) will be included in that feed, except military.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Viscount724

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Quoting mrskyguy (Thread starter):
Here's the map of noise monitoring stations at Burbank (KBUR).

GVA airport is very noise-sensitive, being located only about 3 miles from the city center and with residential areas in close proximity on all sides. There are 15 noise monitoring sites as shown on the map below. The gray line that zigzags across the top of the map is the French border.
http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Re...ent/env-stations-mesures-bruit.pdf

Buyantukhaa

Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Quoting mrskyguy (Thread starter):
I've always wondered.. how do these systems work with respect to automatic fees to operators?

I am not sure if AMS has a tariff structure where noise infractions have any impact, but they have an extensive noise measuring system combined with tracking, that is even available "live" (20m delay) on Google Earth:

http://radar.vlieghinder.nl

This shows you the aircraft in 3D paths going in and out of AMS, with another KML layer for the measuring stations.
I scratch my head, therefore I am.