egph
Topic Author

Aircraft List Price - Do Airlines Pay These?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:32 am

Hello all,

My question is summed up in the title. I am aware that often airlines get bulk buying discounts when purchasing aircraft from any of the major manufacturers. However do airlines ever actually pay the full list price ( I can only find these on wikipedia with a link to an Airbus pdf file), or are list prices simply a price to begin negotiating down from?

Thanks in advance

TheSonntag

RE: Aircraft List Price - Do Airlines Pay These?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:56 am

Do you know of one single person buying a car for the list price? I don't. I think the list prices are merely for having a negotiation base.

egph
Topic Author

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks for your answer  

jwenting

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:35 am

Of course it also depends on the numbers you'll be buying. If you want a single airframe with dirt standard fittings, you're not going to get much wiggle room in the price.
If you want a hundred with all the options however...
I wish I were flying

ashyy

Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:39 am

A list price should be seen as a guide price, put in the extras such as cabin customization and any other various addon packages you can think of, further negotiations and even bulk buying discounts and the price will be a lot different. Many airlines especially the big ones get discounts on list prices due to the fact they are valuable orders and often buy many aircraft.

Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:44 pm

The reason the OEM's make the list price available is to guard the actual price the airlines customers pay.

You see the headlines all the time OEM and airlines sign a contract for a number of aircraft. The value of the contract is based on the list price, not the actual contract price.

This prevents the other airlines from knowing what discount the airline received!