Jackbr
Topic Author

Flight Attendants Standing Up Take Off/landing

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:40 am

I have read that, at least at one time, Air Koryo did not provide jumpseats for Cabin Crew, and that they would literally stand up and hold onto some sort of bar during take off and landing - Can anyone confirm this? Are there/have there been any other airlines where the FA's have not had seats provided?

m11stephen

RE: Flight Attendants Standing Up Take Off/landing

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:31 am

I was recently on an OO flight from ORD-MKE and apparently the F/A didn't realize that we were landing or something and she was standing in the galley as we touched down AND the curtain covering up the CRJ stairs was still out. Major safety hazard!
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

arffdude

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:33 am

On Air Koryo, jumpseats are not needed as the grace of the Dear Leader provides you sure footing throughout the flight!

Elevated

Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:47 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 1):
I was recently on an OO flight from ORD-MKE and apparently the F/A didn't realize that we were landing or something and she was standing in the galley as we touched down AND the curtain covering up the CRJ stairs was still out. Major safety hazard!

I find that extremely hard to believe she could be that clueless, being a flight attendant myself. I am not going to get into all the safety related issues that equates to. From what you wrote, there were no obvious "justified" reasons for it. A CSI would have a field day with her.

There are numerous cues to when landing is imminent (FSB and PED signs--below 10,000 ft. mark for PED, seats for landing PA and finally the noise of the gear down) all of those indications and she was still out of her jumpseat with the curtain not secure. Not sure what a/c you were on, but I hope she wasn't the only F/A on board for numerous reasons.

FlyboyOz

Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:41 am

On SQ, i saw a flight attendant spent lots of time doing something at the galley (which i didn't know what she was doing) until the plane touched down. No idea why.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

Super80DFW

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:10 pm

I flew WN on LBB-DAL in August of 2009, and one of the flight attendants was standing up as we turned on to the runway and began our roll. Seconds before becoming airborne, she sat down on the galley floor; not a jumpseat.
"Things change, friends leave, life doesn't stop for anybody." -- EAT'EM UP EAT'EM UP KSU!!

v jet

Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:41 am

I was on a QF 742 in the upper deck years ago and we landed in HNL with the FA still fluffing around getting stuff ready for landing!

WNCrew

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

..... it happens to all of us at least once. I know for me it was because we got no indication of landing in IFR conditions after coming out of a holding pattern. We really had no idea where we were and had not received any indications from the FD because they got busy with the diversion. It is incredibly unsafe but it happens.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

rrobards2

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:18 pm

I was on a COEX ERJ flight from IAH-MSY a couple years ago, I was in seat 3A/4A....can't remember... BUT I did have a clear view into the galley. As we were coming in to land, the FD did all the normal announcements indicating that a lading was imminent, and she just stayed in the galley doing her thing. She must have been looking out the window because seconds before we touched down, she braced herself against carts and counter while we slowed down. Then during the turn off she went back to doing whatever she was doing.

When I saw it happen I couldn't believe it. It's definitely not safe, especially being on an ERJ with only her on board.

northstar80

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 pm

The male FA who died in the TK Amsterdam accidents was unfortunately standing up at the rear galley and was bagging the used headphones. Sad.

After the accident, TK enforced crew to be seated below 5000 feet.

m11stephen

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Quoting Elevated (Reply 3):
Not sure what a/c you were on, but I hope she wasn't the only F/A on board for numerous reasons.

It was a CRJ-200 and unfortunately she was the only F/A onboard... I can't imagine what would have happened had we had to evacuate...
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

Gingersnap

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 pm

I was on an LH 733 from GVA-FRA. We began our takeoff roll whilst the every flight attendant was standing in the aisle.

I distinctly remember the look of terror on the face of the nearest member of crew. I don't know how the flight crew found out, but the takeoff roll was stopped after about 7-8 seconds. We pulled off the runway, headed back to the threshold and began our second takeoff roll (this time with all crew members seated).
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

skysurfer

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Many moons ago I was flying FR DUB-MAN and the flight was soooo quick that a flight attendant, who was still collecting rubbish from the pax, sat on an armrest opposite me as we landed!

Stu
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat