Aleks166
Topic Author

Fuel Injection In Jet Engines

Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:21 pm

Hey guys, I am currently doing research on fuels for 'fire safe' aviation. As part of my project I will set up some modeling approaches for the injection of fuel into the combustion 'chamber' (jet engines).

Unfortunately I have not been able to find reliable information on this process. I would need the following information (for large jet aircraft and standard engine performance):

- the pressure difference from the nozzle to the chamber
- the fuel temperature at injection
- the common nozzle type (length and diameter)

Of course there are various values for various aircraft but any of those would potentially help me (e.g. Boeing 737). Also ideally you would send me a link or official statement of the above mentioned things.

Hope I can get some pointers in the right direction.

Aleksandar

Okie

RE: Fuel Injection In Jet Engines

Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:48 pm

Quoting Aleks166 (Thread starter):

Hope I can get some pointers in the right direction

I am not sure exactly where you are going here but for your consideration.

Engines have to cold start with temps 120F ramp with heat soaked fuel from a hot engine near the vaporization point of the pressure supplied by the fuel pump.
Quite a range I would suspect.

Other issues would be dealing with the elastomer compatibility of seals and "O" rings in the fuel system and take into account issues like were involved with the RR engines on the 777 where clogging of the FOHE was from low temps.

There are already fuel additives required in some areas of the world that try to control misting and fires external of the combustion chamber.

Okie

jetlife2

RE: Fuel Injection In Jet Engines

Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 am

Try here

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...VCM10000048021dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN

These guys make many if not most of the fuel nozzles for well-known gas turbines.
My views are not necessarily the views of the GE Company