Lioness11

End Of Life 747s?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and it was suggested in chat that I post my request here. I hope that's OK.

I am trying to find out if there are any 747s nearing the end of their lives which are going to be retired and dismantled within the next few months.

I am making a new series of TV programmes for the BBC here in England (but which will be broadcast globally) using an end of life aircraft to look at some of the engineering and technology that an audience can never normally get to see on a plane still in service.

We were originally planning to cover the recycling of one of 3 Air France 747s which were taking to Kemble Airfield here in the UK to be dismantled earlier this year, but a delay in the commissioning process meant that we lost this opportunity.

We have an excellent combination of 2 sister planes in the US, one of whom has been mothballed/engines removed and one of whom is being D-fitted, but we are also looking for a single aircraft, ideally from fly in to teardown.

We're finding it difficult to find out in advance of planes nearing the end of their airframe lives and wondered if there was anyone with special knowledge of this process that might be able to help us in our search? We think we have contacted most or all of the aircraft disposal firms in Europe and the US, but so far, no joy for a single 747. I can't help wondering if we are missing a trick somewhere and figured that if anyone would know - you guys would  

Many thank in advance.

tb727

RE: End Of Life 747s?

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm

It's too bad you weren't on here about a year ago. Kalitta Air bought a dozen 747's and moved them all from the desert to their northern Michigan maintenance base to either chop up or breathe new life into. I was just up there and witnessed a little bit of both going on to these planes. It was really interesting to see.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Lioness11

Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 1):
Quoting tb727 (Reply 1):
It's too bad you weren't on here about a year ago. Kalitta Air bought a dozen 747's and moved them all from the desert to their northern Michigan maintenance base to either chop up or breathe new life into. I was just up there and witnessed a little bit of both going on to these planes. It was really interesting to see.

The timing of the commission has been terrible! We wanted an oil rig - no oil companies want to talk since Deepwater last year. We seem to have just missed things at every corner and those Kalitta ones sound like they would have been awesome!.

Never mind our search continues!

EasternSon

Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi Lioness,

I jst sent you a message. I may be able to get you in touch with someone who may be tearing down some B747s.

Thanks,

EasternSon
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

jetmech

Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 am

Quoting lioness11 (Thread starter):

Sounds like some very interesting programs Lioness! Were you aware of this documentary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2wd1HVhiRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmqHXf5fQY&feature=related

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

Lioness11

Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:10 am

Thanks very much Easterson - I have read your emaila nd am responding!

Jetmech - I had seen the Megastructures - they had awesome access. Our format will be a bit different to theirs and we will have different styling and editorial directions, so although they will cover a similar topic, hopefully they will be very different programmes.

Thanks for all the responses so far.  

jetmech

Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:03 am

Quoting Lioness11 (Reply 5):

Best of luck with the documentaries Lioness! It will be great to see the final product!

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .