initious
Topic Author

How Are Avod Systems And FMC Updated?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi fellow a.netters,

This question popped up in my mind. For airlines with AVOD (which most do), how do they update the programmes per month? Do they simply connect something like a HDD and update each plane, or is there something they do? I think it would be pretty challenging for airlines like EK which has the most extensive IFE programme list throughout a fleet of so many planes (not sure how many) equipped with the newest ICE digital widescreen.

On another note, how is FMC data being updated when new airports pop up or when ICAO and IATA codes are moved, like HKG from Kai Tak to HKIA?

Regards,
Daniel
One way I will fly around the world!

Mir

RE: How Are Avod Systems And FMC Updated?

Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Quoting initious (Thread starter):
On another note, how is FMC data being updated when new airports pop up or when ICAO and IATA codes are moved, like HKG from Kai Tak to HKIA?

We have a laptop and an ethernet cord. You download the new FMS database to the laptop from the internet, plug the ethernet cord into a port on the airplane, and load the new database into the FMS from the laptop. Pretty simple. I'm sure there are other methods, but that's how it works for us.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

9V-SPJ

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

Some aircraft also use floppy disks! I remember seeing some B737-800 navigation data bases at Delta, on floppy disks.

9V-SPJ

Chese

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:26 am

For FMCs I have seen 3.5" floppies, still, and also USB thumb drives and ethernet hookups from a laptop. For airshow systems, while not like what you'd see in an airliner, use a built in CD drive and its as simple as putting a new one in.
Note to airliners.net admins, I will not like you on Facebook.