bristolflyer
Topic Author

Ovens On New Narrow Bodied Jets

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:40 am

So I had been thinking that food ovens remained in jets from a time that we used to get proper meals in flight. However last month I went on an almost new Frontier A320 and it had an oven. The only think I could see this being used for is to warm cookies - is this right? How much weight are they carrying around just to warm some cookies?!
Fortune favours the brave

stratosphere

RE: Ovens On New Narrow Bodied Jets

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:14 am

Most airlines are getting rid of ovens on their narrowbodies if they haven't already due to weight and they are going to no frills. I was taking them out of NW DC-9's when I was working for them I figure it is a sign of things to come.

hal9213

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:55 am

Quoting bristolflyer (Thread starter):
How much weight are they carrying around just to warm some cookies?!

What?!? Cookies are warmed up?   Didnt know that in some cultures people eat hot cookies.
I believe ovens in narrowbodys are booming with Low Cost Carriers and have a good future there. I certainly prefer hot snacks and sandwiches at Easyjet to some blunt chocolate bar from Lufthansa!

AA737-823

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 am

The ovens actually weight quite a lot- I have replaced quite a few of them myself in the past few years, as they're not very reliable. Actually, they are... they ARE very reliable, however, the flight attendants using them are.... not so reliable. "This one smells like fish..." Well, we don't serve fish, but we all saw you carry fish from home onboard when you got on this morning.....

Anyhow, I'd put the weight at around 45 pounds a piece.

tdscanuck

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Quoting hal9213 (Reply 2):
What?!? Cookies are warmed up?   Didnt know that in some cultures people eat hot cookies.

Midwest (now Frontier) used to market their warm cookies as a hospitality feature. "Fresh" out-of-the-oven chocolate cookies are a big deal too US/Canadian foodies...not sure about other cultures.

Alaska also does very good business with their purchase-on-board meals and they need an oven to do the hot entrees.

Tom.

yeelep

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 3):
Anyhow, I'd put the weight at around 45 pounds a piece.

I wish Alaska had those ovens.

How much weight are they carrying around just to warm some cookies?!
Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 4):
Alaska also does very good business with their purchase-on-board meals and they need an oven to do the hot entrees.

In Alaska's 737's, the ovens weigh 350lbs total. One double (125lbs) oven in the fwd galley and a single (100lbs) and a double (125lbs) in the aft galley.

TZTriStar500

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:27 am

So I had been thinking that food ovens remained in jets from a time that we used to get proper meals in flight. However last month I went on an almost new Frontier A320 and it had an oven. The only think I could see this being used for is to warm cookies - is this right? How much weight are they carrying around just to warm some cookies?!

Speaking of Frontier specifically, the single oven in the aft (G5) galley on the A320s will soon be removed for weight savings. The A318s and A319s already have no aft ovens. This leaves only the two forward ovens in the G1 galley on all of the Airbuses for crew meals and occasional cookie warming. As AA737-823 mentioned, these single ovens with the rack and trays also weigh about 45lbs.

[Edited 2011-09-03 22:29:13]
35 years of American Trans Air/ATA Airlines, 1973-2008. A great little airline that will not be soon forgotten.

RJLover

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:54 am

Quoting stratosphere (Reply 1):
Most airlines are getting rid of ovens on their narrowbodies if they haven't already due to weight and they are going to no frills

AC recently (over the past couple of years) ADDED ovens to the large fleet of E190's. For most airlines, the E190's fly only shorter flights, but we (AC) routinely fly them on trans-con flights (YYZ-YYJ/SEA/PDX/YLW are some of the longest), inaddition to some short sectors.

There are several "hot items" available on the Y BOB menu, plus the meals for the J cabin.

I do not know if the E175's are equipped with ovens, but everything from the E190 up to the B777 do!
Last Flight(s): YHZ-YHM-YUL-YHZ Next Flight(s):

FlyingColours

Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:18 pm

Well they need ovens to serve hot snacks, some airlines (UK Charters for example) if they don't offer a full meal service they may sell meals. But they still need the ovens for when they operate full service flights (that and it's good to have for ad-hoc flights which may require a full meal service).

But aside from all that the most important reason to have an oven onboard... The Crew Meals   *

* Providing the airline actually provides meals for the crew, I've been out of the game 3 years now so things have probably changed (and not for the better).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

CRJ900

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:53 pm

Didn't AC Jazz CRJ705s get a small warming oven lately?

I think most CRJs in Europe have ovens, as most of those have a premium cabin offering.

I work on the B737 and our ovens are used on most flights, crew meals on short flights and hot food for pax on longer flights, we have 4-6 ovens on our aircraft, and yes - they do smell like fish, even if we seldom cook fish in them  
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

Tod

Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Ovens will be an option in the forward and aft galleys on the MRJ.

WNCrew

Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I only have experience using convection ovens onboard, but are there radiant type ovens as well? I recall seeing a video onboard a Soviet jet in the galley and the FA removed a small metal box from between two heating elements... do any other manufacturers utilize these?

Working for WN now we have NO ovens onboard... but I must say, in previous airline experience, I really miss cooking, assembling and serving meals out of the galleys. It took creativity at times, efficiency, attention to detail and speed! I always enjoyed the busy work, and the amazement that we could turn out the food we did, in the presentation we had, all out of that tiny space!
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.